Chances of getting into UCLA/USC/UCSD

Hi everyone,

I have a 3.73 GPA (unweighted, 10th-12th grade) and a 2200 on the old SAT.

AP Scores:
Chemistry -3
Bio -4
English Language - 5
Chinese - 5
Calc AB - 5

I’m currently enrolled in 5 AP’s (AP Lit, AP stats, APES, AP gov, AP Econ)
I participated in a summer research opportunity at Caltech and I’m an officer for 2 clubs at my school

Do you guys think I have a good shot at UCLA, USC, and UC san diego?
Please comment below. Thank you! :slight_smile:

UC GPA? https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

Intended major?

Competitive test scores but UC’s are vert GPA focused. Your intended major will make a difference in your chances.

Freshman admits for UC GPA of 3.40-3.79 based on 2015 data:

UCB: 2%
UCLA: 3%
UCSD: 6%
UCD: 11%
UCSB: 13%
UCI: 16%
UCSC: 47%
UCR: 64%
UCM: 80%

Freshman admits with UC GPA if 3.80-4.19
UCB: 12%
UCLA: 14%
UCSD: 39%
UCSB: 49%
UCD: 52%
UCI: 57%
UCSC: 83%
UCR: 90%
UCM: 92%

The more competitive/selective the major the higher the stats needed.

Unweighted GPA: 3.71
Weighted GPA: 4.13
Weighted and Capped GPA: 4.04

I’m planning to go into Biology (pre med). I thought UC’s didn’t evaluate you based on your major unless you apply to a specialty school (engineering, theatre, etc.)

Would UCs rather see B’s in AP classes, or all A’s in all regular classes?

Thank you

Each UC admits differently.

UCSD admits into the university first then into the major. Biological Sciences is a capped/impacted major at UCSD, so you the competition is fierce for those coveted spots. They recommend that if you are applying to a capped major, to select an alternate non-capped major just in case. It is possible to be admitted into the University but not into your major. Capped majors will be difficult to switch into later so keep this in mind.

For UCLA:
Q: DOES MY CHOICE OF MAJOR HAVE AN IMPACT ON MY CHANCES FOR ADMISSION?

A: For freshmen applying to a major in UCLA’s College of Letters and Science (L&S), choice of major will neither enhance nor diminish their prospects for admission. In fact, a large number of freshman applicants apply as “undeclared.” Major is a factor for freshmen applying to non-L&S schools at UCLA (Arts and Architecture; Engineering; Nursing; Theater, Film and Television).

USC adds the LOR’s into their admission decison which the UC’s do not consider, so they will impact your chances.

UCLA: Low Reach (Both UC GPA capped and fully weighted are below average). SAT looks on target)
UCSD: High Match
USC: High Match

You would have some Match schools if you apply to UCI/UCSC/UCD and possibly UCSB.

Make sure you have some outstanding essays to help your chances and Good Luck.

UC’s would like to see you take a rigorous course schedule and do well than a non-rigorous schedule. If you check the common dataset for all the UC’s, HS course rigor is highly considered in their application review.

Does it help in the admissions process if I have all A’s freshman year and get all A’s the first semester of this year (senior year)?

If a UC had to choose between a student with a rigorous schedule and not-so-good grades and a student with all regular classes and straight A’s, who would they choose?

UC’s look at 9th grades to make sure you have passed your a-g courses. Senior grades are not considered in your admission decision but maintaining your current GPA will keep your provisional admission if accepted. Doing well 9th-11th will factor into your admission decisions along with test scores, essays, HS course rigor and EC’s. The application as a whole is what will be reviewed.

UC’s want to see HS course rigor with good grades. With over 200,000 applicants applying to the UC’s, they can have their pick of outstanding candidates.

uh, OP-
USC is NOT in The UC system.
It is a private college.

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile: