Chances/Suggestions for Nursing Schools. Please help!

<p>GPA: 3.5 unweighted, 5.0 weighted /5.8
EC: volleyball (4 years) appointed libero, jv captain, best defense award..
christian club (3 years) co-president
acapella (2 years)
literary art& writing magazine (2 years) discussion leader
environmental club (1 year)
History Fair mentor (1 year)
yearbook (1 year) editor & photographer (forgot in commonapp)</p>

<p>SAT: 620 V/CR
690 Math
700 Writing</p>

<p>Achievements: History Fair: 2nd place Regionals
National Honor Society (2 years)
Boston Dragon Boat Race: 2nd place Recreational</p>

<p>Volunteer: VA veterans hospital (nursing ward, Alzheimer's therapy) (3 years) received 100 & 150 Youth Hour Awards
NECYSC Counselor-In-Training (1 year)</p>

<p>Work: Restaurant hostess (1.5 years)</p>

<p>School courses taken for Nursing: Athletic Training, Biology, Psychology, CPR & Safety Training, Anatomy & Physiology</p>

<p>Downfall: C first term in Anatomy&Physiology due to flu
first C ever received in the major that I need most for nursing.</p>

<p>Applied early to
-UMass Amherst
-Case Western Reserve University
-Northeastern University
Dad suggests applying to
-UMich Ann Arbor
-Boston College
Mom suggests applying to
-UMass Boston (best UMass nursing school)
-safeties, disregarding price</p>

<p>Please let me know
1. should I just apply to colleges without the nursing major selected?
I don't have to be a nurse, I just definitely want to help in the health care area.
1. Are chances slim at UMich & Boston College? Again, should I just not select nursing when I apply?
2. perhaps other finaid-generous schools to consider</p>

<p>Deepest thanks for your help.</p>

<p>If “you don’t have to be a nurse” then don’t apply for nursing. You have to really want to be a nurse to make it through!</p>

<p>If you’re sure that you want to do nursing, my biggest piece of advice is to apply to schools that have direct entry nursing programs, not schools with upper level programs that you have to apply to separately during your second year of school! </p>

<p>Also, don’t have your parents pick your schools for you! You need to choose where to apply because it’ll be you going there not them.</p>

<p>If not nursing, I’d like to go into Public Health Sciences.
I’d really just like to combine nursing with social work, then I’m satisfied.</p>

<p>Public Health Nursing.</p>

<p>

You should select the Nursing (BSN) major on your application to colleges that you want to enter their nursing programs. Many (most) require a separate approval or different academic standards (some higher and some lower) for admittance and the number of students is often very limited (less than 120). If you want to major in something other than nursing (and only YOU can make that decision) then don’t apply to the nursing programs.

I can’t comment on BC, but UMich is one of the top Nursing programs in the country. It is competitive and expensive for OOS students.

Depends on which state you have residency. If you are a Mass resident then normally Mass state schools offer the most generous financial-aide for in-state students. If you wish to maximize your chances for merit aide then apply to schools where you are academically (SAT & GPA) in the top 10% of their student profile.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Quote: "Many (most) require a separate approval or different academic standards (some higher and some lower) for admittance and the number of students is often very limited (less than 120). "</p>

<p>D is applying to colleges as a Nursing Major. We have yet to come across any schools where the standards are “lower” for Nursing majors. We have been told that because of the competition, and limited size of the programs, the standards are higher at all of her choices. (There are some cases where she would be a “slam dunk” as an applicant according to her school Naviance, but because of nursing she may be marginal at best…)</p>

<p>We would love to get a list of colleges where the standard for a Nursing major may be lower. :confused:</p>

<p>

University of Pennsylvania. Keep looking, I’m sure there are others.</p>

<p>^ How do you get this information? Or is it speculation?</p>

<p>Do you have a link or source outlining U Penn nursing requirements? Is there a specific source that states that the nursing requirements/ admission standards are “lower” than other applicants?</p>

<p>

Do your own research. This information is not too difficult to find if you are actually interested in making an effort. Although why bother? if your daughter is having difficulty getting into other nursing programs, she definitely won’t get into Penn even if the Nursing college standards are lower than Wharton and CAS.</p>

<p>D was never interested in Penn.</p>

<p>Your original response mentioned “some” schools with lower standards for nursing. You mentioned a single example: Penn. I was wondering if you had direct experience based on your response, or whether you based your answer on hearsay.<br>
Sorry you got so defensive. It was a simple question. :confused:</p>

<p>Obviously, my D has done lots of research!!! She has no idea if she is “having difficuly getting in to other nursing programs”. She hasn’t gotten any admission results back, nor has she even completed all her applications yet!</p>

<p>Her research indicates that the standards for admission in to nursing programs this year may be higher than the general standards at many schools. This is based on interviews, meeting with admissions representatives, and conversations with her school guidance people, and nursing administrators at many colleges. If you have other information to share indicating the contrary, please share. That’s why we are here, to share helpful information. Thanks.</p>

<p>Some (most) nursing programs do have higher admissions standards than the other colleges within the university because they can only accept a relatively few students. But you know that already. </p>

<p>Penn is different. If you search for nursing on the Penn forum you’ll get all the information you need. However, if your daughter has a SAT between 1200-1300 then it is not likely that she’ll be admitted into Penn’s school of nursing. But, I believe you also know that already.</p>

<p>I’m defensive because your post was aggressive and offensive. You want to believe that there are NO colleges that have lower admittance standards for nursing than the others…help yourself. </p>

<p>

That is unfortunate. Considering all the reading and posting you have done on this subject for the past 4 or 5 months, I would think that you would have encouraged your daughter to apply EA and rolling admissions to some schools to help increase her chances of acceptances. One of you “potential” schools (Pitt) has been sending out acceptances for about a month. I have been told by a number of top direct entry nursing programs that it is better to apply early as there may not be any (many) spots available after Jan 1st.</p>

<p>Thanks. I didn’t think my post was aggressive and defensive. Wasn’t the intent.</p>

<p>She didn’t apply to Pitt. Hasn’t heard back yet from EA schools. May hear soon from one of the rolling ones. </p>

<p>Are you a current nursing student?</p>

<p>

No. My daughter will be next Fall (2010) and my wife is a Nurse.</p>

<p>^ That is great. Congrats to your D. I just noticed on another thread that you posted about ROTC.</p>

<p>(D can not do ROTC because of medical exemption. However, big brother participated in (army) ROTC during his last two years in college. He was commissioned as an officer in July 2008, and deployed to Iraq this September for a 12 month tour. We miss him :()</p>

<p>Best of luck to your son. You should (and I’m certain ARE) be proud.
Maybe our daughters will be in school together. Where is your daughter applying?</p>

<p>Mostly schools in New England. (close to home, but not too close).</p>

<p>She thought she wanted a city, but after visiting some campuses, she wants the “quintessential campus”. Also wants club soccer and music programs, maybe even Pep Band.
She wants a school with good hockey team and school spirit. Choices are somewhat limited…but she has a couple of surprising favorites. </p>

<p>I’ll let you know when she gets her first acceptance.:wink: I don’t want to list her schools yet, for fear of a jinx…</p>

<p>(She ultimately plans on grad school with a specialty related to her personal situation.)</p>

<p>Good luck to you and your daughter!</p>

<p>University of Rochester
Fairfield University
Georgetown University
Villanova
Boston College</p>

<p>Apply tp Pitt ASAP ! They accept on a rolling basis…my d heard back within a few weeks ! It’s so nice when they know they have a place to go before April. They also offered $10,000 per year since she was out of state .</p>

<p>Motherof2girls,</p>

<p>That’s wonderful that your daughter received $10,000 for being OOS! I wonder if you would be willing to share her GPA and test scores? We are OOS too but I thought Pitt was not an option for my daughter due to cost being too high. My daughter is a HS junior with 3.8/4.0 GPA and so far an ACT of 26. Based on your daughter’s award, do you think mine would get some money too?</p>