Changing Major/focus

<p>Hey</p>

<p>So I'm serious about UMiami at this point. Even though I'm waiting on other schools, the U is basically in the running.</p>

<p>So anyway, I was thinking of changing into Pre Med, but still my major is Economics </p>

<p>You can do that right? Because I want to have a back up, and I was thinking of doing Medical school so I can set off the costs of the debt im going to accumulate. lol</p>

<p>To answer your question, it’s extremely easy to change your major. My roommate came in as a Marine Science/Biology major, and now he’s an International Studies and Environmental Policy (or something like that) double major. In terms of your reasoning, Med schools actually like you to have a non-science major as long as you take the required pre-med courses. The pre-med program is just a track, you can have any major with it. </p>

<p>Now, in terms of paying off debt, Med School is probably the worst option for that. The reason for that lies in the costs of med school itself. My aunt, who’s a pediatrician, only recently payed off her medical school loans. To put that into perspective, she has two kids, one of which is only a year younger than me. Medical school is not the route to go if you’re looking for a back-up for financial reasons. Only go to medical school if you have a true passion for wanting to go into medicine.</p>

<p>Im a prospective premed at UM and you can do that. I am planning on doing premed with a major in business and a minor in psychology. I am planning on going to medical school and using my business knowledge to hopefully establish a private practice for myself as a psychiatrist. </p>

<p>While you can make good money as a doctor, it’s important to realize it’s a lot of schooling, and to get through it you really should have a fair bit of interest in medicine. Sure, making $250,000 a year is nice, but what makes it great is doing something you actually enjoy. If econ is what your truly interested in, I would focus on that. You can make good money down that avenue too.</p>