Chem 101 - Not enough supplies to do the labs?

<p>Ok, so I admit I have not been impressed by my son’s Chem 101 class from just about day one: an ought-to-have-retired-long-ago professor, outrageously expensive textbooks (that are not even bound, but loose leaf - seems for the price, at least some binding would be in order), and pre-labs that seem to be more about making students jump through hoops rather than learning (and if students miss turning in these pre-labs, they don’t get to do the labs, and miss three labs, and students get automatic Fs.) My son’s lab class has shrunk dramatically over the last couple of weeks with the numbers of students flunking out for this reason alone.</p>

<p>There has always been an issue since the first lab session with the lab TAs not having enough supplies to provide to the students so they can do their labs, but now, even with all of the drop-outs, there are still not enough chemicals to allow students to complete their labs. It is absurd to me. At the last lab, the TA was so embarrassed, and he could not require that the students do the lab because there were no supplies. He sent everyone home early.</p>

<p>I think I would rather my son had less fancy housing and more lab supplies. I hope this is just an anomaly. Fingers crossed. And fingers crossed extra hard that he does not have to take Chem 102 with the same professor.</p>

<p>For my other kids, if they want to consider Alabama, I will have them take Chemistry here at the community college.</p>

<p>The issue of supplies is stunning for a university actively fishing for the top students in the country. I would nicely ask the dean of students if he or she is aware of the shortages? </p>

<p>I would probably stick to the one issue. It would stand stronger on its own. </p>

<p>I would definitely complain to the Dean of Students AND also the Chemistry dept head! They charge course fees! That is what course fees are supposed to cover!! ( I would want to make sure that someone isn’t stealing them for their own research or something!)</p>

<p>As for the book costs…uck!..that sort of thing is everywhere…even with the loose-leaf thing. </p>

<p>But, no excuse for supply limitations! </p>

<p>That is outrageous! I would want to know if this is a lab section issue or across the board for all lab sections. Is it the responsibility of the lab tech to gather and organize all supplies for the lab? this situation is unacceptable and needs to be reported.</p>

<p>As far flunking after missing 3 labs, at a different university my ds had a professor that only allowed missing one lab before you flunked the class.</p>

<p>My DD is also in Chem 101 this semester and is not experiencing a shortage of supplies for labs.</p>

<p>Chem 101 is a straight up awful class all around. I don’t think any of the professors are particularly interested in teaching it. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I am glad you posted that. I found it hard to imagine. I suspect that it is the lab tech’s fault for not prepping for the labs. Either that or the prof is not adequately supervising the lab tech’s.</p>

<p>I’d like to comment on the flunking of labs. My S learned VERY quickly as a Freshman that if you don’t do the pre-labs, then you can’t do the lab. He also learned very quickly that if you don’t have your safety glasses or wear long pants and closed toe shoes you can’t do the lab. Period. These are excuses (on the students’ part), and are not legitimate reasons for failing the class, IMO. Come prepared + do the work required = pass the lab.
The other issue of lab supplies can be dealt with via the suggestions already offered.</p>

<p>None of my kids have had any issue with their Chem classes. Only one student has dropped from my student’s section. The TA is very helpful and professional.</p>

<p>As for the pre-lab requirements, goggles, punctuality, and clothing requirements for lab, those issues are specifically addressed in the syllabus which is provided on the first day. If a student doesn’t meet the requirements as set forth in the syllabus they have been made aware of the penalty. Though it may seem harsh, it isn’t unfair since it has been disclosed and the rules are designed with student safety in mind. Students who do the work and arrive prepared and on time shouldn’t have an issue. If a particular lab section is having supply issues it should be addressed with the lab coordinator. That would be surprising and unacceptable. My kids have never experienced that issue.</p>

<p>Not saying your kid is being dishonest, but as parents, we have to realize kids often like to make excuses. </p>

<p>I asked my kids and they said that supplies have never been an issue. I suspect that either the child is mistaken or there is some theft going on. Either way, I would pursue to make sure it isn’t theft of some sort.</p>

<p>And yes, Gen Chem is brutal…it is a serious weeder class.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Oh that could be it. I don’t know who preps the labs…the TA? a tech? </p>

<p>Just spoke to my son who is taking Chem 101, he says that lab supplies are bought by students and are not supplied by the TA. He states that he has seen students break their lab supplies and have to buy more. He has not had any issues buying the lab chems for his labs.</p>

<p>Are you talking about chemical or glassware and equipment? Chemical and the more advanced equipment is the responsibility of the department. I have never heard of there being chemical and equipment shortages. That is coordinated by one person who is in charge of all the 100-level chemistry lab. Glassware and basic equipment, like thermometers, are the responsibility of the student to supply. These are paid for by the course fee and are supplied to the students at the beginning of the semester. The student is responsible for replacing broken glassware by purchasing from the supply room.</p>

<p>You should contact Erica Livingston if there is a problem with chemical shortages: <a href=“Erica Cossey Livingston – Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry”>http://chemistry.ua.edu/faculty_profiles/erica-cossey-livingston/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>@feenotype is right. That is what my kids told me. </p>

<p>There is something either weirdly wrong or the student story may not be accurate. </p>

<p>Interesting responses. Why exactly would my son lie about the lab class and the lack of supplies? If his Presidential scholarship indicates anything, it would indicate that he is, at bare minimum, conscious and fully aware of what is going on in his Chem lab class. Add to that the TA apologizing profusely for not having enough supplies, and ending labs early. Other sections may have all of their supplies, and I hope they do, but not my son’s section. I will have to leave it to my son to go file complaints if he wishes - I am not the college student, he is, and I don’t run interference for him. I tried to persuade him to switch sections the first week, as soon as he described his professor to me, but he was not worried and choose not to. His decision. He is just trying to make do and get the class done. But it is a disappointment, to him and to me (probably even more so to me.) He was looking forward to Chem 101 and it has been mostly a bust this semester. His professor is a community college adjunct so he might as well have taken the class here at a community college and enjoyed a much smaller lecture class (at Alabama, he has nearly 190 students in a room with 180 seats) and plenty of lab supplies, I would hope.</p>

<p>Thankfully, my son does his pre-labs, and shows up to every lecture and attends each lab. It seems obvious that students ought to be doing their pre-labs, especially given the stakes, but many students (again, I can only refer to those in my son’s section) apparently did not, and they have already flunked the entire course. It might make it more palatable if the pre-labs were of any use (as opposed to the intense Biology pre-labs), but one of the pre-labs was primarily a list of silly questions having nothing to do with chemistry (easy to complete but a waste of time, and too bad a potential deciding factor in whether a student gets to attend the actual lab.)</p>

<p>Some students decide to make their lives more difficult. Hopefully of those who have flunked the 4-credit course, they have enough credits to keep them at full-time status (12 credits.) My son already knows of a pre-med freshman student who became overwhelmed by the first semester coursework, that he dropped a class, and was down to 12 units. He has now flunked out of Chemistry for not doing the pre-labs. He is losing his full scholarship (unless he can figure out some way to stay), and will have to head back home.</p>

<p>Anyway, take it for what it is worth. </p>

<p>A student does not lose his scholarship for flunking a class. He has two more semesters to get things in order.</p>

<p>Something isn’t right. The TA may have screwed up and didn’t make sure that there were supplies for the lab, but maybe he didn’t own up to HIS mistake…leaving the students to think that Bama was at fault. or maybe there was something special ordered for that lab, and the order hadn’t yet arrived. Either way, what you’ve described is rare and not the norm. </p>

<p>Your OP ranted about dorms, taking the class at a CC, and other things suggesting that Bama doesn’t bother to buy enough supplies. We have or had students in Chem labs and supplies were not an issue, so we suspect something else is going on. We needed to set the record straight that Bama doesn’t build nice dorms or recruit top students in lieu of having lab supplies</p>

<p>Your OP kind of suggested that your son hadn’t been doing the prelabs, but now you’ve clarified.</p>

<p>And going back to the premed student who is flunking chem…again, he won’t be heading home after this semester. However, he may not be premed anymore. 75% of premeds will never apply to med school. That is not the school’s fault. That is the way it is…here…and everywhere. A student who doesn’t do the pre-labs isn’t yet mature enough to truly be premed…so he was rightfully weeded. Maybe he’ll learn from this experience and be able to come back to his career intent…or maybe not. </p>

<p>There is an Alabama Parents group on Facebook and recently a few parents were concerned because their kids are struggling in the premed prereqs. If those kids “pull it out,” then super. If they don’t, then likely they weren’t strong enough to continue as premeds. Many students (and their parents) think that if the student was a strong high school student, he/she should “become a doctor!” But, then the weeder classes come and suddenly shock and awe. Maybe the students weren’t naturally strong enough, or maybe study habits and personal discipline weren’t strong enough (doing prelabs). </p>

<p>The truth is, at Bama and at most schools, anyone can start as premed (or in engineering)…there is no pre-screening. I only know of one univ that screens its premed students. So, even someone with inadequate HS stats can declare himself to be premed. (it’s a mystery to me why these kids do this, but even in the premed forum here on CC there will be kids posting with modest stats starting as premed.) </p>

<p>I have to say I am glad I noticed this thread! I will encourage my daughter to use her anticipated AP Chem credits to skip 101 & 102! In my college days, those were some of my easiest classes. It was Organic and Physics that were tough, but Chem was really easy! Definitely doesn’t sound like one to use to fluff up your schedule! :)</p>