Choosing a dorm

I’m starting at UW-Madison in the fall and I’m struggling to choose which dorm would be best for me. If anyone could give a basic summary of one or some of the dorms that would be great!

I’m definitely not a partier so I’d want to be in a social yet quiet dorm.

Chadbourne learning community could be what you are looking for.

Is it pretty substance-free too? I’m not one to do drugs or drink. I know Madison is a big party campus as I’ve lived here all my life but drinking/drugs isn’t my thing.

I’ve also heard that Chad is a “nerd” dorm but I’m not sure if that’s supposed to mean studious or weird.

On the southeast side of campus, aim for Smith. Very nice dorms. Close to traditional “party” dorms, like Witte and Sellery if you choose to visit.

You need to do your research on the UW Res Halls website. You first need to decide if the Lakeshore or Southeast area is more to your liking- city or trees/grass outside your dorm. Next you look at the variety of buildings. Some like old/new/modern/traditional architecture. High/low rise. You can make your ranked list after seeing the information on the website. None of us can tell you which is best, you know yourself, we do not. Consider where you want to be to de-stress and spend your down time. Amenities, dorm maintenance, food pretty much the same all over campus for Res Halls and you do not need to eat near your dorm.

Some people like learning communities- and they cost extra. Some do not like high rises on a busy street- that is Chad. I disliked it and loved the Lakeshore while friends chose Barnard next to Chad which I also disliked. Yet we had a lot in common otherwise. It does not matter which generation, different people have different tastes in living spaces.

Do not worry too much about UW being a party school. There will be plenty of people like you around even if others choose to party. Plus, fall of freshman year is when new students adjust to the freedoms of college life before settling down (study time is required to succeed).