Class of 2020 Nursing admissions

@Corner
just wondering if you could post your/your daughters impressions of northeastern/umich once you visit because i was also admitted but im not sure if i can visit so ill take anything i can get!

@blueskyforever
about northeasterns co-op program, im not sure if im understanding correctly but theoretically if i chose to have my coop be in my home city back in california, then wouldnt my coop feel like im on summer vacation (since i can see my friends and family etc) except im working at the same time?

@jyao729
just wondering do you know any websites that specifically prove usf has a good program? ive heard it many times which is why i applied but now that its time to make a decision im having trouble finding hard stats on it
ik sdsu does for sure tho bc ive seen their nclex pass rates and for the past couple years its almost always been in 90s or high 80s at least which ironically are better than ucla/ucis

@staplercdstar
Let me check on that for you, but I know most people usually graduate from USF and secure a job within the city or Bay Area almost immediately which could possibly be an advantage that some might look for.

@Erikacharm
congrats to your daughter! if you both dont mind could she please post her stats/demographics/activities etc??

@RN2be2016 kinda late but could you post your stats please? and demographics, activities, etc :slight_smile:

@Marie12
does your daughter know anything about whether it gets more difficult to choose the state of your coop if its further away from northeastern? for example i live in california so itd be ideal for me to attend neu and have my coops here in ca but im not sure if thats feasibleā€¦

Staplercdstar, I think it probably is harder getting co-ops farther from Boston, but it definitely is done. My d knew of a nursing student that did a co-op on a reservation in Arizona. It would maybe require more initiative on your part. My d thought about coming home for one of her co-ops, and even talked about doing one in Hawaii with two of her friends, but has decided to stick with Boston because there are so many great hospitals right there. Those hospitals are familiar with the co-op program and are used to interviewing the student nurses for these jobs twice a year.

Another thing to consider, when you do a co-op out of Boston, you would have to find someone to sublet your room/apartment if you are not in a dorm. While thatā€™s a bit of a hassle, so many kids are coming and going that there is always a way to do itā€“so not really a problem.

As far as your earlier post about a co-op at home feeling like a summer vacationā€“it may, I guess. The co-ops give the students a feel for being professionals out in the working world. The nursing students are hired as PCAs/CNAs, and they do all the jobs that go along with that. They get to learn about different areas of nursing on each co-op, and the amount that is learned is pretty substantial.

While this set-up is not for everyone, I am really impressed with the co-op modelā€“more than I thought I would be going into this. The students get valuable job interviewing experience. The ability to work alongside the nurses and learn is great. Clinicals do a similar job, but on a much smaller scale. The confidence that comes from all of this is pretty awesome, too. My d just had her last day at a job she took on her floor from co-op. They hired her to work per diem after co-op, and she did that the past several months. She got friendly with several of the nurses, and they made a fuss about her leaving. She loved that job and probably has an advantage should she decide to apply for a nursing position there after graduation.

Obviously, traditional nursing programs are excellent and have worked that way for years. Co-op schools offer a different option, and for some students, it may be a superior way to learn. Going to school across the country is a big deal in itself (one of my sons did that), and it might not be what you want. If you do have interest and have specific questions, I would call the school and talk to them. All the best!

Now that final decisions have been made I will post some stats and info about my daughter. Hopefully this will help future nursing students as they begin the college selection process.

Applied/Result - All Direct Entry Nursing Programs

UMass Amherst - EA Accepted Commonwealth Honors College - Attending, $2,000 In State scholarship
Boston College - EA deferred, RD accepted, no financial aid
Fairfield University - EA Accepted $25,000 Magis, declined before Honors review
Quinnipiac University - EA Accepted $24,000 merit award, honors invitation
Northeastern Univeraity - EA deferred, RD accepted NUin, no financial aid
University of New Hampshire - EA accepted, Honors Program, OOS $14,000 merit award
UMass Lowell - EA accepted, Honors Program, half tuition and fees merit scholarship

Visited, but did not apply-

UVM, very nice school just not a good fit for her
Endicott, very nice school, too small for her

GPA is around 97, all honors and AP classes, highest curriculum each year
4.0 unweighted, 4.1 or so weighted
SATs were 1930 - math 680, verbal 630 and writing 620
A number of leadership positions in school government and sports.
Soccer and softball player.
Member of the National Honor Society and President of the student council.
Works during non sport seasons.
Many volunteer programs.

Hi @RNbe2016, Sorry for late replyā€¦ Her ACT was 32, GPA 4.2, Hispanic, competitive dancer. ASB and ARTs involvement at school. Volunteer credit in hospital and at summer camp for adults with disabilities. She attends an accelerated semester program stable to complete 6 or 7 of the Ap courses. Let me know if Im leaving anything outā€¦

Good luck to you!

@staplercdstar

HI just go back from Northeastern last night. She really liked Boston in general, and liked the urban feel and the location of NE in the city versus Boston college. She liked how everyone was really excited about their co-opsā€¦ Like the ā€œdialogueā€ programs that are from what I understand a ā€œminiā€ study abroad programs that are taught by NE instructors in and out of the country. She loved the idea of training in the major research/medical centers. Liked the dorms but you canā€™t control over what building you are in, just dependent on where they put the LLC you choose for that year. As parent and Nurse, felt that the program was well supported and the 4 or 5 year option was nice as gave some flexibility with he coops etcā€¦ She liked that AP credits transfer. The campus is nice, especially the underground tunnels that connect the buildings for the winter snows. You can cross campus in 15 minutes so doesnā€™t feel too bigā€¦

The students seem to love the program, and are very confident in their learning experience overall.

Hope that helps!

@ec2017 Hi-My daughter volunteered 100 hours at the hospital

Committed today to Duquesne Universityā€™s School of Nursing :slight_smile: Go dukes!

@teiluuuj CONGRATS!!

@c011e9e thanks!!

Congrats everyone so far! Itā€™s such a pleasure to hear from you as Iā€™ve seen the nursing student/parents on this forum over the course of a few months and now we are all winding up our search and committing to colleges. We are making our final trek to University of Delaware admitted student day this upcoming weekend. We flown back and forth to UMASS - Lowell EA, Honors school admits (Feb), Fairfield U - Magis Scholar Weekend (Feb), Penn State U - Nursing school admitted student day only 3 dates to select on Tuesdays no less (March), Seattle U - Admitted Student event in (April), U of Miami -Cane Event - April 9th. Needless to say, I canā€™t believe we made so many trips.

My daughter received scholarships from every college except PSU and UM. She really wants to attend UM but itā€™s quite pricey. We are thinking of contacting the school to see if they have any merit monies which could help with the school being so expensive. It canā€™t hurt to ask. We did meet with the Asst. Dean of Nursing who seemed to like her very much and the nursing school is wanting to recruit more students for their BSN program it appeared, so Iā€™m thinking it couldnā€™t hurt. If she did receive some merit, she would commit immediately. If anyone has any advice on pursuing this at any college, let u know your experience or any words of wisdom.

Private colleges typically have more room to negotiate merit aid than publics, but it doesnā€™t hurt to ask.

@Juliannie where did you end up going for nursing and what were your GPA/SAT?

@FutureNurse2020 what was your GPA and SAT/ACT?

@kgiesch what were your stats?