Class of 2024 Pennsylvania Nursing Admissions Questions

DD has been accepted to the nursing programs at the following schools: York, Messiah, and IUP. She is still waiting to hear from Penn State - Main (applied for summer), West Chester, and Temple (applied Temple Option). She has a weighted GPA of 4.2 and an SAT score of 1280 with multiple honors classes and AP classes in addition to being a 2 sport athlete with numerous other extra curricular activities.

We are anxiously awaiting decisions from these schools. Wondering what her chances are to get an admissions offer from these 3 schools. Of the schools she has already been accepted to, York is the top. Considering putting down the deposit so she gets into Track 1 but it’s a $500 nonrefundable deposit.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

I think your daughter is competitive for all three programs, but due to the highly competitive nature of admissions to these programs, it’s really hard to predict whether she will be admitted to one, two, three, or none of them, Can you ask York College when Track 1 was filled last year? That will give you some idea as to whether you should deposit before you hear from the other three, which could be as late as December 24 (perhaps even later).

As you probably already know, applying to Penn State for summer session for a nursing major doesn’t provide the advantage it does for most majors:

From the PSU website:
Will applying for the summer semester at University Park improve my chance of being admitted to the Nursing Program?
Students applying to the Nursing Program may be considered for admission to the summer session at the University Park campus; however, application to the summer session does not provide an advantage towards being accepted into the Nursing Program at University Park.

Good lucj to the class of 2024 !

I highly recommend reading 2 or 3 prior years threads, they contain some very useful information that may of help in your (or your kid’s) decision making.

Gman

My daughter ACT 25 weighted GPA OF 4.6 with clinical experience rounding with a NP her Junior year and then Allied Health experience in her Sr yr has been accepted to Pitt Greensburg, Gwyned Mercy, Neuman (with almost a full ride) and Liberty. Still waiting on Scranton, West Chester, Bloomsburg, St Francis, St Peters in Jersey city, Villanova and Drexel.

I am a current Penn State Nursing student and I know that they do not offer admission to start in the Summer for the Nursing program only. Its a 4-year track that must be completed in 8 semesters at one campus (meaning you can’t transfer in and you can’t do additional semesters unless you fail a class and have to repeat a year). Let me know if you would like any additional information about the PSU BSN program.

My daughter has been accepted into Bloomsburg, York ( with great merit) and IUP . Waiting to hear back from West Chester. Would be grateful for comments on these schools, especially what they are like for out of state kids ( she will be coming from CA). Thinking it may be easier to get home than from Cincinnati ( Xavier) where she also has an opening. We are focusing on good clinical experience and NCLEX pass rate.
Have read older threads which is how I came to identify these schools.
Also probably too late now to apply but if we are visiting PA should we add any other schools?
Thanks so much for any help. This forum has been invaluable.

Of the Pennsylvania schools to which your daughter has already been accepted, I think York College is closest to an international airport (Harrisburg), about a 40 minute ride. BWI is probably an hour from York but could easily be longer with traffic. I think York has a fair number of Maryland kids, so it may be relatively easy to find a ride to BWI. West Chester is about 25 miles from the Philadelphia airport and similarly, it would most likely be easy to find a ride there. IUP and Bloomsburg are more isolated but you could check with the schools to see if they have shuttle services available. IUP has a lot of students from the Pittsburgh area., so the Pittsburgh airport may be accessible even without a shuttle. I would think Xavier would be the closest to a major airport. Of the PASSHE schools (IUP, Bloom, and WCU), I think West Chester has more and a higher percentage of out of state students. As far as clinical experience, I know York has many sites close to campus.

Thank you Kidzncatz.