Class of 2026 UC General Discussion Thread

A post was merged into an existing topic: UC Berkeley may be forced to admit 5100 fewer students

I remember hearing that there were housing/over-population issues for freshman at a number of the UC’s last year. Does anyone remember which schools they were and if they were resolved in a somewhat satisfactory manner?

Wondering if we need to commit to a dorm slot the second we receive an acceptance (if we are so lucky to receive any…).

Some campuses have on-going issues with housing and some campuses were impacted by the pandemic with stricter social distancing requirements. I would sign up for housing once the student has made their decision.

Thousands of UC students struggle to find housing | EdSource

1 Like

Any expectation of UC news this week? Early acceptances UCSB? UCLA regents?
@Gumbymom @lkg4answers @10s4life

1 Like

excellent question

1 Like

I am wondering if some of the UCs decisions will be delayed as they try to predict the impact of the UCB case.

For example, if UCB has to cut admits, will that mean yield at UCLA and UCSB goes up? So to counter that, UCLA and UCSB have to move more applicants to the waitlist? And are maybe scurrying to identify which applicants those would be right now?

2 Likes

No advance intel on when early acceptances for UCSB will be out or for UCLA regents. Probably sometime this week would be the most reasonable estimate.

2 Likes

Thank you!!

Just to make sure I understand a long shot regents would mean automatic admission , correct ?

1 Like

Yes, getting a Regents invite from UCB and UCLA means admission but not automatic scholarship.

Edited: Although as pointed out by @lkg4answers noted below, UCLA states the invite does not constitute an offer of admission but I have not seen a Regents invitee not get admitted. I am sure there are very rare exceptions.

For the other campuses, Regents does not require an interview or invite, so if a student receives the scholarship it is with their admissions acceptance.

Thank you…interesting to see we have seen regents invites postings on the Berkeley forum but crickets on the UCLA one

In the past, Regents at UCLA did not come with a letter of acceptance. Assuming only the top applicants are asked to apply for Regents, one can assume that they will ultimately be accepted. The Regents invite email sent from UCLA states that it is not an acceptance.

Up until a few years ago, UCLA Regents was awarded based off of the UC application. There is always the possibility that UCLA might revert to their old way of determining Regents. @10s4life do you remember when that was?

Last year UCSB did not send out Chancellor Reception invites. I doubt they will hold any in-person receptions this year. UCSB Regents usually comes in the mail a couple of weeks after UCB and UCLA Regents invites (which are normally the same week).

Thank you! Last year’s UCSB thread shows some people being accepted early around this time of year. The information was on their portal — no chancellor’s reception involved.

Edit: oh, so you’re saying UCLA may not be doing interviews for Regents and may simply announce Regents recipients based upon application. Interesting.

Yes, the UCSB Regents award comes with a letter of acceptance. It was received (in So Cal) around Feb 22 in 2020.

I just checked their website and it still has the 2021 info up. I assume they would update their website before sending out new invites, but you never know.

2 Likes

No I’m not saying that. I have no insider knowledge. UCLA never did interviews. Their Regents application was additional essays. Berkeley does interviews.

I was just pointing out the UCLA used to not have a second application for Regents. After reading about the kids on the UCLA board who are burnt out on scholarship applications/essays, I wonder if the same has been happening for Regents.

3 Likes

Sorry I misspoke! Meant to say essay not interviews. Maybe they have a bandwidth issue too? :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Found when UCLA changed to a Regents invite. It was the class of 2023. You can read about the change here. While the Alumni Scholarship is open to any applicant, the Regents invitees receive a code that allows access to the full application.

1 Like

I have a question on how to calculate the UC GPA not answered on the Admission website. My daughter took a Geometry course at Harker, the summer after 9th. Our HS counts didn’t count the grades earned and have a 0 for credit and 0 for GPA after transferring the transcript over to HS. Will UC count this grade in their weighted calculation for a course taken outside of HS?

She also took 2 community college courses summer after 10th, but after transferring transcript back to HS, it only shows 1 letter grade for 10 credits/semester for each of those courses while all our HS courses are 5 credits/semester. So do you count that as 2 grades or 4 grades for the 2 courses, and is that +1 honor points per course or +2 honor points per course? The UC website said “One college course = one grade = one honors point,” but they didn’t specify how to calculate if the credits are different.

1 Like

The Geometry class and the 2 CC class grades will be counted in the UC GPA even if not listed properly on the HS transcript. She will need to send copies of the College transcript and a copy of the Geometry course credit after she enrolls at a UC.

You report what is on the College transcript so if it shows 2 semester classes with 2 grades, then that is what is calculated. Each semester would get 1 extra honors point bump if the classes are UC transferable.

1 Like

I was wondering about likely notification dates for all the UC’s. Found this post from Ask Ms Sun useful and thought I’d share. Looks like it is best guess based on past notifications. Still good to have something in one place.

UC Freshman Admission - Application Timeline | Ask Ms. Sun.

4 Likes