Class of 2027--University of Oregon

Are you talking about Washington State in Pullman? I’m not an expert, but it does come up on the WUE list, with tuition listed at 17k! I would look into it immediately to see if she is eligible. That is, if your daughter insists on living in the PNW to study neuroscience instead of going to Hawaii. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

https://www.wiche.edu/tuition-savings/wue/wue-savings-finder/

1 Like

I figured that the schools that have withdrawn don’t need it–that seems to be the logical reason. CU Denver is not as popular, but it has a great College of Arts & Media that my son is considering, and they are WUE. Their offer comes out very close to U of O in-state for us. (I was surprised, having never done this before, that our in-state school was so expensive it’s equal to an out-of-state U. Now, I know. :person_shrugging:t2: )

That’s what I was thinking? I don’t understand exactly how WUE works, but my thought was that it’s tuition+half for those from other WUE states. Definitely seems like many states don’t have their flagship school on the list (because they don’t need more students applying), but Oregon State, Washington State, etc. seem to take the program. I guess here in CA it’s some of the CSUs that participate.

1 Like

Thanks. I am trying really hard to convince her Hawaii is amazing lol

But surely WUE brings Washington down by 10k. I don’t know your situation, of course.

ETA: To be clear (in relation to the next post below) I don’t know if @Mila036’s student is eligible for WUE. This is an idea because that school is listed on the WUE site.

@GoldRush2 colorado denver was 150%.

We only have experience with Oregon State but they stated that WUE isn’t automatic for their school just because you live in a reciprocal state. In fact, only 10% of eligible students actually receive it. I imagine by now most of those funds are allocated. But it sounds like WUE is handled differently at each school?

1 Like

I don’t know anything except what’s on the WUE site. That’s why I started by saying that I’d look into it immediately in case she’s eligible. At Denver, they offered it immediately and I had no knowledge that you could be turned down. I don’t want to suggest it’s a slam dunk.

Washington State Wue application deadline was March 31st

Has anyone gone to one of the admitted student days? How was it?

2 Likes

We go this week.

We attended Duck Day yesterday, and it was great! It really solidified many things for my daughter - that she absolutely loves UO, that she feels very wanted by the school (scholars luncheon, etc.), that she fits in there, that the psychology program exceeds her expectations, that she loves the town of Eugene, and she feels very optimistic about having a happy and successful education and experience there. It was great! Afterwards we hit the big student store and stocked up on all the things, and on our drive home she got an email accepting her into their new Ballmer child development program (though she’s on the fence about doing it, she’s thinking it over).

Now we’re just waiting to hear about her ARC application, housing options, volleyball opportunities, get IntroDUCKtion scheduled, etc.

2 Likes

That’s wonderful news all around. Congratulations!

That is great! I hope my own gets to a place where she feels excited. This experience has been much less fun than it was with her brother just 4 years ago. Lots of unexpected outcomes (all negative) and it was a hit to her self esteem. I know lots of kids are in this boat and in almost all cases it is just temporary.

Eugene is really a pretty great college town. UofO is really the focal point of the town and community in many ways and it feels like a big deal. The campus is gorgeous and modern and there is so much to do. Glad yours is exctied. PS. If you haven’t visited Prince Pucklers it is a must stop for ice cream. I’m old and love ice cream so I have been to a lot of different places and this one is the best.

1 Like

My daughter started the application process with UO as a safety school that she didn’t consider very seriously - I pushed her to even include it. Then in January we happened to be in Eugene for volleyball, so we walked around campus, and she loved it. But she was still expecting admission to some of the more “prestigious” schools on her list, and was fairly crushed by so many rejections and waitlists, since she’s an excellent student and we all (including her school counselors) expected that she’d have many options. But I feel that she ended up being where she was meant to be - UO is only a few hours from home (Tacoma), and it checks every box for her (apart from out of state tuition, ugh). The admission process was a hit to her ego, but at the end of the day she’s very happy to be a Duck, and UO has done a great job in rebuilding her confidence and making her feel like the smart, high achieving, talented applicant she is. UW can suck it lol.

4 Likes

My son has similar story. He just committed to Oregon State Univerisity for Engineering major. We are from California. Oregon State offers WUE to OOS, I am sure OU should have some scholarships for OOS as well.

1 Like

We were there yesterday too. Lucked out with such a beautiful day! S23 feels like it’ll be a great fit and we are so happy that he’s happy.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if housing in LLC goes fast? If you registered in early March and your roommate registered in late April, do you have a chance at a room in LLC?

Not sure. The new hall will likely be popular so that will have an impact on all the halls I’m guessing.

If they match as roommates in the system (which they’d want to do to guarantee rooming together), their registration dates merge. Let’s say one was 3/1 and another was 4/30, they’d get something in the middle (4/1) as their priority registration date.

@EricaD1 this is very relatable. You could have been writing about my daughter. UO was a safety school for her as well. Once she finally visited for the first time just a month ago, she started to get excited about attending this fall. She had been waitlisted at UW and just found out that she’s been admitted. Have no idea what she’ll do.

1 Like

What did your daughter decide? Mine has been set on UO, but just moved off the waitlist at Syracuse and was offered $20k in merit aid, so the cost difference between OOS at UO and a private education at SU is “only” $8k/year. Still a lot, considering the dollar amounts we’re talking about here, but the gap is just narrow enough to give us pause. UW would have been in-state for us, and a no-brainer, but alas she wasn’t even waitlisted there.