Class of 2027--University of Oregon

Thanks! She turned in her housing app a few weeks ago, and is about to apply for the Women in Science and Math ARC, so we’re all good there. She’s excited at the prospect of 2 years in Eugene and 2 years in Portland, just to change things up and live in another city. It sounds really interesting and aligns with her interests.

Love the school that loves you back - D23 got no love from UW and even touring there, she didn’t ever quite feel comfortable or at home, plus there were many things we didn’t like about it - it just feels like a factory that churns kids out, getting into your major is really hard and not guaranteed, etc. But it made the most sense financially, so she tried, but I’m honestly glad she didn’t get in. She wouldn’t have been happy there. With UO she just felt right at home from day 1.

3 Likes

Anyone still not heard from the honors college?

1 Like

My kiddo asked the regional rep who said they’re (running late and) working on stuff still through next week.

It’s official! We have a Duck! S23 committed yesterday.

2 Likes

My daughter also got accepted to UO as a neuroscience major. We are from CA so the tuition is high for OOS. She did get a summit scholarship but that just made a small dent in the COA. She also applied for all other UO available scholarships but have not heard back. Any advise on this?
It’s her top choice but I am afraid it will be out of reach financially. She got into some other good schools University of Hawaii at Manoa (but they don’t have a neuroscience major), Washington State (also high tuition), UCSC and UCR (both neuroscience) and waitlisted for SDSU.

Did she get the statement with expected costs? That should include any scholarships earned, aid she qualifies for, and the remaining cost that would need to be covered.

Mila,
I don’t want to discourage you but our experience is that UofO is very stingy in general. They have so many students applying that they move on to the next family if the price is too high. We are in state and both of my children are way above average at UofO when it comes to grades and test scores and they got only a small automatic scholarship- take it or leave it and they both went to Utah for less cost.

She did. But since the only scholarship that was listed there was summit, I was wondering if any other would come later. But I guess not.

Thanks, I get it. It is a hefty price and I cannot justify the cost for the undergrad education especially since she wants to go to medical school (that is going to be expensive!).

Worth a call to the admissions rep to check so she can make her decision, but I’m sorry to say that it sounds like the other scholarships aren’t coming through. I’m so sorry.

Same. We have had some hard conversations with our daughter who is in a similar boat. We carefully applied looking for merit aid and she received almost none (with 1 exception.) We have had a lot of friends and family attend the UofO. It is a big school in a college town and students can get a wonderful undergraduate education there. But in terms of cost and value, I can’t see how it pencils out for out of state families without a significant chunk of aid (which they just don’t have to provide.) I know each family is different and money looks different in each case but we eventually had to get to the point where we told our daughter that we can’t as her parents allow her to choose a path that leads to 100,000 dollars of debt when she graduates with her Bachelors degree.

1 Like

Isn’t Washington State one of the WUE schools that would have more affordable tuition for students from other WUE states?

I might be wrong about that. I know Oregon
State is a WUE school.

I cannot find it on their website that it is WUE school. She received the offer, annually a little less than 50K.
It doesn’t say that it is the WUE rate (she got the offer from Hawaii which was clearly labeled WUE rate).

1 Like

Aren’t you in-state for CA? If so, I think it would apply! Washington State University WUE and Cougar Awards

Yes, she received the scholarship. However, it really makes a small dent in the tuition. I was hoping they would offer a special rate as well but it looks like their offer goes through the scholarship. Thanks for your feedback.

Same. My kid got a Summit, and I was wondering if there would be more for music, but I guess not–the financial statement we got in the mail just says the 5k scholarship is it, and then some loans.

The WUE rate no longer applies at U of O. They withdrew from the program. :frowning: We found that some state schools and even individual campuses vary. In Colorado, Boulder is not included while Denver is. My son knows of several kids who’ve gone to Hawaii on WUE.

Oregon and UC Boulder very similar. WUE is a tool to attract students to a campus and in some cases to bring students into less popular majors. Neither Oregon nor Colorado need extra applicants so they have left the program. My guess is we will see Utah opt out soon as well as they are seeing huge uptick in applications and probably don’t need WUE to draw students in.

U of Hawaii rete is really affordable. We had a conversation about this yesterday again. The issue is the school has only general psychology major and she really wanted neuroscience. This was her safety school. Those decisions are really hard for kids.

1 Like