Clemson Class of 2024

Each family needs to decide what works for them. Some are lucky and get Financial aid, others do not (we do not). It is a family decision. If you have decided Clemson is not worth it to you, move on instead of complaining about lack of merit. My DD has earned more merit at other schools than at Clemson, but we have decided this is the right place for her and we are out of state. Once again it is all about the sacrifices you make as a family.

I totally agree with you @CollegeorBustNE. Most of our OOS students had better merit offers elsewhere but students (and families) have to weigh what’s best for them and where they will be the most successful. It’s time for people to stop complaining about what they can’t control (their merit award) and move on.

Just want to explain
not complaining about lack of merit
was more wondering if anyone else with similar stats also received zero merit. Tried to be positive in my post saying that he has good options elsewhere
definitely blessed so no complaints! Just surprised that’s all.

My dd decided that Clemson is not worth the debt she will incur. She is considering USC. Did anyone here compare USC and Clemson engineering depts? Any observations and/or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I see your child also got into Calhoun. My child is also on the group chat. They seem like a great group of kids. Will your child be attending?

@kittycat1203 I looked through your replies and looks like your child was just barely outside of the top 10%. When I ran numbers through NPC, it appears that they have to be top 10% to get any sort of merit even if they have high test scores. Personally, I would call your school counselor and see if your child’s class rank improved after first semester. If it did and they were top 10% then I would absolutely call the financial aid office and explain that to them.

Financial Aid does not make the decision, admission makes the decision in addition on the Clemson website it states you will be "considered " if Top 10%, not guaranteed. see below:
Domestic out-of-state students with at least a 1340 (EBRW+M) on the SAT or a 29 on the ACT composite and who are ranked** in the top 10%* of their high school class will be considered for a renewable merit scholarship. Further, students who demonstrate financial need through their FAFSA application will be considered for renewable grant funds in addition to any merit scholarship offered.

It was not directed to you. Just tired of hearing people complain

@CollegeorBustNE Yes, my daughter is 99.999% sure she will attend Clemson. :slight_smile: We had already made arrangements over spring break to visit another university’s honors college she was accepted into, so she can be assured of her choice. We are in Ohio and she was very impressed with Calhoun and the opportunities. She is very much enjoying their group chat, as well as getting to know other potential future students via Instagram!

Will you be attending Future Tiger Days? The opportunities are amazing and they seem to have the most selective honors college

Agreed. I understand disappointment. But it is irritating to see people start trashing Clemson’s rankings, policies, etc. Clearly you thought enough of Clemson to apply, if it isn’t in your child’s best interest to intend, that’s fine. But don’t suddenly make light of Clemson’s standing.

A lot of people here are very excited about Clemson. It may not be an Ivy, but it is a good solid school.

My son was accepted at other schools that he decided not to attend. I don’t hang around their boards making disparaging posts.

I hope all of your kids get into a great school. But let’s drop the negativity.

@jse1820 Thanks for info!

Exactly!! The other schools that my daughter has said no too, I too just stay off the boards. BTW. love all the students & parents that are committed Clemson. Go Tigers

@86grad was child accepted into Calhoun?

Well said!

He was not. He has good stats 1570 SAT, 4.0/5.3 GPA uw/wt. Top 1% of class. 40 hours of AP credits. Essays aren’t his strength I guess. But he was torn btw. Honors and RISE so it may have been for the best.

Personally, I like the Honors program but worried about him meeting/making friends. The older dorms seem better suited for that, at least for my son who is a bit introverted. An extroverted kid will have no problem anywhere.

@86grad. if my daughter does not get honors dorms she wants RISE. It seems like a great learning community. Sorry your son was not accepted . It is tough with so many top students wanting to attend although he can appeal. There is a group chat for honors kids and some of the other OOS kids have said they will probably turn down Clemson since they do not offer extra merit where other schools do. So he should consider appealing.

Which dorms house RISE? I may try to swing through there when we are down there for Tiger Days.

@HokieCrazy
https://housing.clemson.edu/living-learning/general-information/rise/

They are called the high rises. Byrnes and Lever