Cochrane Dorm

<p>Im an incoming freshman, and I got Cochrane hall. I'm not an athlete so little surprised I got it. I was just wondering how the rooms/suites are, because I heard they vary in size a lot. Also is there AC or Wifi in the building?</p>

<p>There’s no air conditioning or wifi. It’s probably one of the better dorms you could have as a freshman, especially if you like West End food. The bedrooms are pretty small from my experience but the common area is pretty large. I recommend you bring a lot of stuff to decorate.</p>

<p>yeah west end is a definite plus along with the proximity to all the stadiums. Online it says my room is actually 9.5 by 16…is that generally smaller than most rooms?</p>

<p>IF you like west end food? How is that an if?</p>

<p>Be careful about eating there too much though. It’s easy to blow through your meal plan at West End.</p>

<p>My son was in Cochrane for both freshman and sophomore year. It is a nice suite style dorm, but as compared to a couple of his friends’ hall style building rooms, the rooms in Cochrane are a bit smaller. Most of the kids lofted the beds to give more room. The lounge area is very large though. Both my s and his roommate said that they would have preferred to have a few more sq ft to their room vs. giving it to the lounge. It served as a dumping ground the first year. (well, the room did, also, but we won’t go there :)) But I am sure some really use the lounge to hang out in, so…</p>

<p>Gotta love the fact that you don’t have to go outside in the winter to get your meals at West End, but chuy is right, the food (steaks, lobster, etc.) crushed our kid’s meal plan before he realized it. </p>

<p>You’ll get two large wardrobes, two desks, two beds, and two three drawer chests. One nice feature was a huge closet and storage area outside of the rooms on each side of the suite- the two rooms share it. It really helped with winter coats and the big stuff. Cochrane is close to the stadiums :slight_smile: but about as far as you can be from the academic buildings. A bike worked out great for our kid. You’ll enjoy living there.</p>

<p>I second the last post, I was an RA in Cochrane for two years on the 5th floor and half of my residents were athletes. I got to talk to several football/basketball players (including Tyrod Taylor, Jeff Allen to name a few) it was pretty neat. Anyway, the best thing I loved about it was in the winter on some weekends if it was too cold I didn’t have to go outside. I just woke up, put on some lounge pants or even pajamas if you want to and took the elevator to west end. It’s sort of like being in a small hotel minus the AC.</p>

<p>Since I was an RA, my room was huge, it was probably close to 300 sq feet. However some of the rooms on the end of the hall way are bigger than the others as well. The general room though is the standard dorm size but not by any means terribly small. I think it’s 12 by 14 or somewhere around there. </p>

<p>Cochrane is one of the coolest dorms without AC. If you live on a higher floor and open your window, you can get a nice breeze a lot of times especially with fans. It will usually keep your room in the 70’s until it gets cold outside. </p>

<p>I miss Cochrane life.</p>

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>Do you mind me asking how you lofted the beds?</p>

<p>Do you mind me asking how you lifted the bed?</p>

<p>Ctinsley105, My S was not in Cochrane but in Lee and West AJ. Both residence halls provided the extensions for lofting. You just put them together and plop the mattress on top. I think this a standard practice in all the dorms. </p>