College of Arts and Sciences Scholarships

<p><a href=“http://www.as.ua.edu/home/advising/college-wide-and-departmental-scholarships/”>http://www.as.ua.edu/home/advising/college-wide-and-departmental-scholarships/</a></p>

<p>What is the usual range for the college-wide scholarships, and about how many recipients are there for each one?
Also, if I am majoring in biological sciences and Spanish, will I be eligible for scholarships in both the biology and modern languages department?
Thanks!</p>

<p>Students cannot declare a double major until they begin classes at UA. While it can happen, most departmental scholarships are awarded to current students, particularly those who are high achieving, but do not already have large merit scholarships.</p>

<p>Once you have declared a major in both departments, you are eligible for scholarships from both departments provided you are not in one of a select group of double/triple majors which are managed by only one department.</p>

<p>SEA_tide, that is what we kept reading last yr, but that is not what we found. Our ds has multiple stacking scholarships. OP, I suggest contacting the depts directly and asking them. </p>

<p>I would definitely be interested in knowing more about Departmental Scholarships. My son is a Texas high school junior with a 1300 CR/Math SAT score. He will retake the SAT next month, and the ACT for the first time thereafter to try to get to the UA Scholar cutoff of 1330 SAT/30 ACT.</p>

<p>I know from reading this forum that there are special college scholarships for engineer majors. Other than the nondescript information in the hyperlink at their top of this thread, does anyone know much about departmental scholarships for history majors such as eligibility and award amounts?</p>

<p>You would probably need to contact the dept directly to find out. I know for our ds that they were competitive type awards and not automatic like the engineering scholarship. They required applying/competing for them.</p>

<p>Thanks @Mom2aphysicsgeek‌, my son and I have registered for a campus visit on March 9. I guess this is one of the things we can discuss…wish these were of the guaranteed variety similar to engineering but I get how UA would want to do whatever it could to attract highly qualified STEM majors. </p>

<p>@tobester‌ there is no limited number. anyone who has the stats and applies on time get the award. So there are literally hundreds of students who get them.</p>

<p>@Mom2aphysicsgeek‌ </p>

<p>What exactly did your son do before classes started? He declared Eng’g going in, correct? </p>

<p>Was he able to list a second major before classes started or did he just contact the Physics dept and tell them that he would be adding Physics once he was permitted? Was he actually awarded a physics scholarship before he added that second major? If so, that would be highly unusual. </p>

<p>Do you know how much the physics award was?</p>

<p>Ds met with Dr LeClair who recommended that consider double majoring in EE. He also gave ds the paperwork for applying for the dept scholarship. When ds added EE as his major, he contacted Dr LeClair and told him that in order to get the engineering scholarship that he couldn’t add physics back as a major until after the beginning of the semester. Dr. LeClair told him that he gives a month for them to add the double major. </p>

<p>@mom2collegekids‌ that’s wonderful! Is there anyway to know the specific qualifications for each one so I know how many I am eligible for? And also, do you know whether or not they are awarded to incoming freshmen or only current students?</p>

<p>@tobester‌ </p>

<p>I’m sorry. I misunderstood your question. When you wrote “college-wide,” I thought you meant “university-wide”. </p>

<p>I realize now that you’re talking about A&S college-wide. Those are extremely limited. I don’t know what stats are required. I don’t think the amounts are very large. </p>

<p>Except for Engineering and other talent-related depts (art, theater, music), most depts do not have the resources to offer very many dept scholarships. Nursing has a good number for upper-division students. </p>

<p>@mom2collegekids‌
That’s fine. I’m just very worried about affordability right now. Even with my presidential scholarship, I would still have to pay $20,000 yearly out of pocket. I really need for that to go down significantly. Do you know the average financial aid package? </p>

<p>much of COA outside of the automatic merit (Presidential) at UA, is for room and board. First year at UA is more expensive with the required meal plan that has unlimited swipes. You can get cheaper on dorm with the traditional rooms - this year that ran $2800/semester. Students can find cheaper off-site housing (if having transportation, farther away from campus is often much more budget friendly).</p>

<p>One would have to weigh out the benefits of 8 semesters of tuition scholarship versus doing something elsewhere (like CC and then transfer). My neighbor’s two sons received CC scholarships, lived at home, and are finishing their degrees at our area college - which has their areas of study.</p>

<p>You just have to see what your options are with biological science and spanish.</p>

<p>the avg FA pkg is really irrelevant. Half the school is instate and their COA is lower. And, people have different EFCs.</p>

<p>If you have the Presidential, then your out of pocket is NOT $20k per year. And you don’t need to choose the most expensive dorms. </p>

<p>What is your major and career goal?</p>

<p>how much can your family contribute each year?</p>

<p>How much can you earn/save over the summer?</p>

<p>Do you know what your EFC is?</p>

<p>@tobester</p>

<p><<<
Hook- URM (Nigerian, first generation American citizen)
<<<</p>

<p>@tobester‌ </p>

<p>Did you qualify for National Achievement? what was your PSAT?? You have a high SAT; your PSAT should have been high enough for NA.</p>

<p>When you submitted your scholarship app for Bama, did you indicate that you’re First Gen? If so, I think you get the Coca Cola scholarship for that.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>This is very true. </p>

<p>And if you rent your books or buy online/used, you can save even more with books.</p>

<p>Did you apply to UFE or CBH?</p>

<p>Do you qualify for Free or Reduced Lunch? If so, then I think your deposits are waived. You need to check into that. </p>

<p>Here is UA’s estimated cost of attendance, which can appear kind of scary to those watching their budgets: <a href=“http://cost.ua.edu/undergraduate-budget-html/”>http://cost.ua.edu/undergraduate-budget-html/&lt;/a&gt;
This is the very top end of what someone would pay (note that these figures are per semester, so double them). Yes, it lists that OOS students can expect to pay as much as $40,300 per year ($20,153/semester). Deduct your Pres scholarship, and the COA is down to ~$15,000. Live in a traditional dorm, save another ~$3,000, bringing the COA down to ~$12000. Don’t have a car (no parking decal), don’t spend your Dining Dollars, and you’ll save another $645. Live off campus >your Freshman year and save even more money. I just wanted to reassure the OP and anyone reading this thread that you are not necessarily out of pocket $20,000 as an OOS with a Presidential Scholarship!</p>

<p>There a MANY scholarship opportunities outside the university, as well, which you should explore. Not going to repeat all I could say on that here. Good luck with your decisions! </p>

<p>@mom2collegekids‌ I was a national achievement outstanding participant. I actually did score in the top 3%, but because it is on a regional basis, I just barely missed semi finalist.
By first generation, don’t they usually mean first generation to go to college? Of so, I wouldn’t qualify.
Yes, I did apply to fellows (not Cbh) and I don’t qualify for free or reduced lunch.</p>

<p>Is there any chance of me receiving financial aid on top of my presidential?</p>

<p>Is the Pell grant given to out of state students also?</p>

<p>tobester: Yes, Pell grant would help, if you qualify. Yes, Pell grants are given to OOS students … as they are federal loans. Good luck! There are some great hints above, for keeping costs down!</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Deduct your Pres scholarship, and the COA is down to ~$15,000.</p>

<p>Live in a traditional dorm, save another ~$3,000, bringing the COA down to ~$12000. </p>

<p>Don’t have a car (no parking decal), don’t spend your Dining Dollars, and you’ll save another $645.</p>

<p>Live off campus after your Freshman year and save even more money.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Very true!</p>

<p>I would add…after frosh year, if you get a much smaller meal plan or just cook in your apt, you’ll save a LOT more.</p>

<p>And…as mentioned before…if you rent textbooks or carefully buy them online or used, you can save a lot there as well.</p>