College of Engineering- How Does Admission Work?

Hello! I’v e been trying to find an answer to this for a while, sorry if I missed it…
I’m a Junior and starting to consider colleges. I’ll take the SAT and ACT in April/May of this year. I want to be in Engineering, but I’m not asking what my chances are. My chances seem pretty low (I hear the average admission is 3.9 and I’m a few decimals below that) If I don’t get into the College of Engineering, I still want to go to Purdue for something else. What I want to know is, if I get rejected from the college of engineering, can I still go to Purdue Undecided or in something else? Or can I just not go to Purdue at all? Should I play it safe and apply undecided?

If you apply and get rejected from the college of engineering, Purdue might tell you to choose a different major to be considered for acceptance. You could do Exploratory Studies and still take ENGR 131, then CODO into engineering, but this is not a guarantee that you’ll get in in the future.

Sounds good I think! I might try that, but if I really don’t like engineering (PLTW) after this year then I might go Undecided… If I apply in October and say I want to be in engineering but change my mind later, can I change the application or should I just wait until sometime in Freshman year of College?

Thank you! :slight_smile: And sorry for the questions…

I do not know. I would recommend calling somebody in the admissions office in Purdue.

One issue to consider. If you apply early, before November 1, you are considered for merit scholarships, which is great. If you get a scholarship, the notification clearly states that you must stay in the major under which you were accepted for a year in order to keep it. Just a factor to know ahead of time.

I didn’t think about that… but thanks for the info anyway