Is it easier to get in as a Engineering Un-decided?

So, I heard that it is easier to get into Purdue as an Engineering un-decided rather than a specialized major, let’s say MechE. Is this true? Purdue is my dream school and I really want to get in regardless of how much I have to pay. So please help! I know that we have the FYE.

Yes. But it doesn’t gurantee that you’ll be able to take your intended major once getting in because you’ll be competing with others who are undecided as well

I would not know why. You do not get accepted into a specific major you get accepted into their First Year Engineering Program. Once you complete the program you apply to the specific major you wish to study usually in the beginning of the second semester. Because of the demand some are more challenging to get into such as ChemE and BiomedE. ChemE required a 3.2 to be admitted the year my D finished FYE. I believe you choose your top three choices. They then tell you what you are accepted into.

No, it absolutely does not help. You are accepted to FYE and FYE only, because at the end of your first year you apply to the specific major you want. It doesn’t help or hurt; it really doesn’t matter what you put down.

@GB1904 so wait, on the app do they have like MechE or ChemE or just FYE?

So, assuming you apply through common app, you pick the college/program that you’re applying to (which is what you’re accepted to, the college of Engineering or College of Liberal Arts etc.), then you pick a major (FYE for college of engineering) and then you pick an “area of interest” which Purdue’s common app section describes as “An Area of Interest is requested for academic advising purposes in some programs and is not a commitment to or a guarantee of a particular major.”

Oh, and the area of interest is MechE or aerospace engineering etc.

Area of interest doesn’t matter with admissions as a freshman. Everyone goes through FYE. The area of interest thing is there for statistics purposes like x% of people who said they wanted cheme ultimately ended up there sophomore year.