College of Science Scholarships

<p>I have finished applying to all of the scholarships available to me through VT. I applied to the general VT scholarships as well as the PCEG and the college of science scholarships. What kind of stats are needed to receive considerable amounts of aid? I know my friend just received a full ride to VCU, does this happen for VT as well?</p>

<p>Obviously if there is enough financial need a close to full ride is possible. There are some full ride scholarships for example the pamplin scholarship, however it is only for 3 students. The higher your stats the higher the likelihood of getting the rare high value scholarships. The smaller scholarships(~$1000) do add up.</p>

<p>It is possible to get a full ride, but it’s usually going to be a mixture between private and college scholarships. Check where your parents work and for local businesses around you.</p>

<p>If you get enough scholarships you can end up getting a check cut to you from VT (if you’re living off campus usually) and not having to take out any loans.</p>

<p>so its cheaper to live off campus?</p>

<p>Not necessarily. It depends on the area as well as your general lifestyle (do you cook? use electricity a lot?).</p>

<p>Yeah, it depends on a lot of things. The big obvious one is rent; you can get a really cheap place and save money (like The Mill… ugh) or a really nice place and spend a lot of money. There are all sorts of places in between too.</p>

<p>The other big one is food. If you’re off campus you don’t have to get a meal plan, so if you plan on cooking your own food you could save a lot of money there. If you’re going to just eat out more and buy ready-made stuff it won’t help, but if you’re cooking from scratch you can save a ton.</p>

<p>The final thing is the summers. Most (the vast vast majority) apartments in Blacksburg have 12 month leases, so if you aren’t staying in Blacksburg during the summer you’ll be paying rent on a place you don’t live. If you WILL be staying in Blacksburg then you’ll probably be saving money compared to on-campus summer housing or subletting a place for those three months.</p>