College Spanish Issues - ugh!

<p>Yipes!! This all makes me glad our home-schooled son opted out of AP, CLEP, etc. He loses out on getting credit for credits ;-)…but he gains flexibility, I guess.</p>

<p>I can’t believe they would make you drop a class because you scored too high on an AP exam. Seems strange that they would be that inflexible!</p>

<p>The other night hubby and I were discussing the fact that DS is taking his Honors Western Civ sequence – i.e., that he didn’t try to test out of those classes – even though he had had so much Western Civ during home school / high school that he could practically teach it. (Not really; just kidding…) Hubby felt that it wouldn’t kill DS to get an even broader, better grounding in Western Civ and that there’s always a lot more he could learn. As it happens, DS’s Honors Western Civ II class with Dr. Glenn Brasher is turning out to be an absolute KILLER, so my husband was prescient, I guess!</p>

<p>I don’t think it hurts to retake / review stuff you’ve already studied…there’s always more to learn. And there’s a lot to be said for an easy A, especially if your other classes are really hard. I guess what I’m trying to say is: I hope these registrar people end up being more flexible and allowing kids to take Spanish 201 / whatever even if they have high AP scores. It couldn’t hurt!!</p>

<p>Funny you all should ask. :slight_smile: Just got a call from my daughter at lunch time today with a resolution.</p>

<p>She was unable to do anything about the class on Friday and decided to wait until she spoke with her professor regarding her dilemma. He was very helpful! Based on what he knew of her as a student so far (2 classes) and her expressed comfort level with Spanish, he thought she was rightfully placed in his class. He thought she could go up a level, but she would already be at a disadvantage with missing 2 classes and it would be much more difficult. Given her circumstances with the AP credit, etc., he recommended she stay and audit. That was her plan when she went to the Spanish offices this morning.</p>

<p>The advisors in the Spanish office were kind and tried to be helpful, but again told her she already earned the credit so all she could do was either outright drop the class or audit it. Then she bumped into the Dean of Arts and Sciences and when asked took the opportunity to explain her situation. End result, they removed the 3 of her 7 AP Spanish credits and she gets to stay in her SPA201 class for a grade. She is very happy with this solution. She feels comfortably placed in a Spanish level appropriate for her, she likes her professor, she gets to use her books, she keeps her 15 credit hours and maintains the recommend number of Honors courses for the Honors College. Big sigh of relief!!</p>

<p>Moral of the story: AP/CLEP credit in regards to Spanish is complicated, but fixable. :)</p>