Frustrated w/ Spanish Dept

<p>OK my D has tried repeatedly to talk to someone in the Spanish Department. She needs an override to take 202 as it is full. She emailed Professor Worden and he told her that since she had CLEP credit she could not take it. We have been told by advising that he is wrong. She can take 202 even though she received credit for it, but she may not get a grade. If she had taken AP credit for it, she could not retake…per the website.</p>

<p>So D has emailed Professor Worden several times, explaining what she was told and he has not responded. 3 emails, no response over almost 5 days. I am extremely frustrated.</p>

<p>We leave tomorrow and desperately want to get this resolved before we get to UA.</p>

<p>If you call all you get is a long message, no one ever answers.</p>

<p>Anybody have any advice??</p>

<p>Sorry for the frustration, but you do realize that overrides aren’t guaranteed, right? It is possible he isn’t working since school isn’t in session. I hope all goes well with your move in.</p>

<p>Thanks Bamagirl…but it is not about getting the override…it is about someone, anyone replying to my D’s emails and getting misinformation originally from the department.</p>

<p>She wants to take 202…but since she got credit from CLEP for it the Prof in charge will not allow her to take 202 because he said she already got credit for it. If he said that he would award an overage, that would be fine. We know that it is possible to retake a class and this is no different.</p>

<p>Left several emails…no response. No way to contact the department via phone as you only get a lengthy message.</p>

<p>Not the typical response we have expected from UA.</p>

<p>i don’t know who professor worden is, but if you email a department head or a dean, you will usually get an answer.</p>

<p>My D is enrolled for FR 201 Honors. She already has credit for 201 via the CLEP and we haven’t had a problem. The advisor she met with at BB didn’t seem to think it was a problem at all. As far as I know, she did not need or receive an override. I have noticed that in DegreeWorks, it lists this class as “insufficient” and being “satisfied by CLEP”. I wonder if that means she won’t get a grade? Until I read your post, I had never heard that.</p>

<p>Sorry, Buzymom. I hope you get this worked out soon.:)</p>

<p>I have gone through the same thing with the French department. The department head is terrible at responding to emails, and I have had issues trying to contact someone during the summer and during the year. I once ended up emailing a random professor in the department, and she was glad to talk to me and much more helpful than my own professor or the department head had been.</p>

<p>This may be a shot in the dark, but could you try contacting someone within the Honors college? I feel as if they are all very responsive and have their act together, so perhaps if you explained the problem, they would be willing to offer a suggestion of someone to contact or how to resolve the issue.</p>

<p>In this case, it might be best to contact that person’s boss. It might also help to contact the student’s advisor or the Honors College and have them contact the department.</p>

<p>The FL dept are very hard to get ahold of during the summer. I think it might be because the profs travel a lot in the summer, as well as do “faculty-led study abroads” in the summer. </p>

<p>I haven’t yet met a FL prof that doesn’t spend a good part of the summer in another country.</p>

<p>I wonder if Prof Worden is on vacation. D wasn’t sure which spanish class to sign up for when she was at Bama Bound in June. She emailed him and he emailed her back almost immediately. She then had another question the next day when she was actually making her schedule, and he again emailed her back almost immediately.</p>