Colleges offering scholarships to National Hispanic Scholars

<p>As promised I am sharing my labor on the colleges that offer money for National Hispanic Scholars from the National Hispanic Recognition Program of the CollegeBoard. Be sure to read my note at the end to make sure you understand my listing. Since I have to do other mom chores too, I'll be listing my findings in separate parts of his thread due to time constraints.</p>

<p>School/Amount offered</p>

<p>University of Alabama:Full tution and housing, laptop computer, $2000 for study abroad and $1000 a year for books etc.</p>

<p>Andrews University:$2000 a year</p>

<p>University of Arizona: $15K instate or $25K out of state per year</p>

<p>Arizona State University: $60K for instate for 4 years or $92K for out of state for 4 years</p>

<p>University of Arkansa at Little Rock:$12,500 per year</p>

<p>Auburn University (the most generous offer):full tuition and housing, $1500 for technology needs, auto admission to Honor College, $4000 for study abroad or research, $1K to $2K per year for misc. expenses</p>

<p>Austin College:$2K per year and another college scholarship to be based on major.</p>

<p>Bethel College: $6K and consideration of trustee scholarship program(full tution)</p>

<p>Birminingham-Southern College: full tuition (but limit on number award so get apps in early).</p>

<p>Bowling Green: $8K per year.</p>

<p>Boston University: half-tuition</p>

<p>Carelton College: $2K per year</p>

<p>Colorado State University: $9K per year for 4 years</p>

<p>University of Evansville: 75% tuition</p>

<p>okay I have to run but will continuing posting other schools when i get a chance. I have some caveats about the above awards but if you do your own research you will see them. I just don't have the time to post now.</p>

<p>My research information continues:</p>

<p>Florida A&M University: two types, life gets better scholarship-tuition, fees, room and board, books, laptop, internships and $500 stipend. distinguished scholars: tuition and fees (instate and out of state) and room and board (instate only).</p>

<p>Fordham University: full tuition (but award could be reduced if aid received from other sources.</p>

<p>George Washington University: Presidential Academic Scholarship (don’t list amount)</p>

<p>Georgia State University: will receive a certain type of merit scholarship plus special housing and honors college program.</p>

<p>Indiana University: $4K total for 4 years ($1k per year).</p>

<p>University of Iowa: $3k per year for 4 years</p>

<p>Iowa State University: full-tuition or other type of scholarship amount.</p>

<p>Johns Hopkins University: $1500</p>

<p>University of Kansas: $10k per year for 4 years</p>

<p>Kenyon College: up to $15k per year if have not also gotten the Knox Academic Scholarship</p>

<p>LSU: tuition and registration fees</p>

<p>Macalester College: $5K</p>

<p>University of Memphis: Need to call but believe its $9k per year plus laptop, study abroad stipend of $2K, other stipends.</p>

<p>Miami University (Ohio): $10K per year for 4 years.</p>

<p>Mississippi State University: instate $5,500 per year for 4 years and OSS full tuition incl. out of state difference.</p>

<p>Okay I have to run again but will keep posting.</p>

<p>I’ll wait to see whether you post the ones I know, which are later in the alphabet. :)</p>

<p>I would like to point out that the Alabama scholarship has a stipulation of a 32 on the ACT or a 1400 on the SAT. I thought the requirement was outlandish because the ACT requirement for the same scholarship without NHRPS is 33 so it just gets you one point. Anyways, I agree that Auburn’s is by far the most generous I’ve seen. They also gave me a backpack and a lot of personal attention. They are really anxious to get hispanic students. You can combine that with their provost scholarship for minority students and you can possibly get up to a 6,000 stipend besides the tuition, housing, laptop, honor’s college, and a research stipend.</p>

<p>Posting of my research part 3:</p>

<p>University of Nebraska: full tuition plus $2K renewable for up to 4 years, membership in Academy of National Hispanic Scholars and attendance at special seminar focused on NHscholars.</p>

<p>New College of Florida: $17,500 per year for 4 years.</p>

<p>University of New Mexico: $13,215 per year</p>

<p>New Mexico State University: full tuition per year and stipend of $1K per semester per year renewable and membership in Honor College, special research opportunities and Crimson Scholar status.</p>

<p>University of North Florida: $5K per year for 4 years.</p>

<p>Ohio State University: Full in-state tuition and award may be combined with Buckeye Scholarship which is $7200 per year for 4 years for OOS students who score above a certain number on SAT or ACT.</p>

<p>Oklahoma State University:$5500 cash scholarship per year for 4 years to be used for housing, fees, books etc plus $19,700(in-state) or $71,475 (OOS) for tuition scholarship.</p>

<p>University of Pueget Sound:eligible for specific scholarships at the university by virtue of being named a National Hispanic Scholar</p>

<p>University of Richmond: annual awards between $750 to $2K annually for 4 years. </p>

<p>University of Rochester: awarded anywhere from $2K to full tuition.</p>

<p>St. Olaf College: $7500 per year for 4 years.</p>

<p>University of Saint Thomas: $1k to $2K</p>

<p>Samford University: award of a national merit scholarship</p>

<p>University of South Carolina: Lieber Scholarship $6K annually for 4 years.</p>

<p>University of Southern California: presidential scholarship of 50% tuition (confirmed via telephone call to admissions)</p>

<p>University of Southern Florida: full tuition for 4 years</p>

<p>Southwestern University: $2K per year</p>

<p>University of Texas (Dallas and Austin): Academic Excellence Scholarship</p>

<p>This post is getting long so I’ll make it an additional post.</p>

<p>Texas A&M: $12K spread over 4 years. May also receive a separate $2K scholarship and an additional $10k/$12K scholarship.</p>

<p>Texas Christian University: $2K per year for 4 years.</p>

<p>Texas State University: $2k per year for 4 years.</p>

<p>Trinity College: $2k per year for 4 years</p>

<p>Union University: scholarships for National Hispanic Scholars</p>

<p>Westminister College (Salt Lake City): full tuition scholarship</p>

<p>Williamette College: Could be up to $15000 a year for 4 years</p>

<p>WPI/Worcester Polytechnical Institute: $17,000 per year for 4 years</p>

<p>University of Conn.: scholarship award to Conn. resident students.</p>

<p>Here are a few more. I haven’t finished my research but feel at least there are some good options on the list. I will post my various caveats when I have a chance. Today is a bit busy.</p>

<p>Rochester Institute of Technology:Combined RIT Presidential and Merit Scholarships totaling $15,000 or more per year</p>

<p>Alma College:The combination of the Distinguished Scholar Award and the State of Michigan grants for which a National Merit, National Achievement, or National Hispanic Scholarship Finalist qualifies for will equal full tuition at Alma College. Additionally, the first fifteen National Merit, Achievement or Hispanic Scholarships Finalists to commit to Alma College will receive full tuition, room and board.</p>

<p>OK, let me add UTulsa: $23.5K</p>

<p>monroylobo, so you ended up not going to Auburn? Looks like you’re headed to Dartmouth?</p>

<p>Anyone out there go to Auburn or Alabama? They’re not on ds’s list, but maybe they should be.</p>

<p>Here are a few more entries from an older thread. I just googled them and they still appear to be valid:</p>

<p>Ball State University - Full ride</p>

<p>U of Central Florida - Pegasus Scholarship, terms unknown</p>

<p>Knox College - Up to $15K</p>

<p>Florida State University - “The Office of Admissions offers a limited number of scholarships to National Merit Finalists, National Achievement Finalists, and National Hispanic Scholars. Please contact our office for more information.”</p>

<p>Hendrix College - $1K</p>

<p>U of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - Full tuition</p>

<p>Wheaton College (Illinois) - About $2K</p>

<p>Whitman College - $1K + $2-$35K (merit + need)</p>

<p>I’m not sure if that U of I thing is true. I know they don’t give full tuition scholarships for National Merit Semifinalists, so I question whether they give them for Hispanic Scholars. </p>

<p>I think being a National Hispanic Scholar makes you eligible for consideration for the tuition scholarship, but they only give 30 out a year.</p>

<p>ITSV - Do you know if University of Oklahoma does anything? I can’t find it anywhere and the guy I called and left message with never called me back :(</p>

<p>With respect to Okalhoma, I found the following: If you go to prospective student page, there is a listing for national merit scholars program. Click on it and you will find a lot of info. On the right side of the national merit scholars program, they will list staff, I suggest you call that staff and ask your question. There is also a link (see below) for requesting a packet of info for national merit scholars program.</p>

<p>[Request</a> Information Packet: National Merit: OU Prospective Students](<a href=“http://www.ou.edu/go2/home/nationalmerit/request_information.html]Request”>http://www.ou.edu/go2/home/nationalmerit/request_information.html)</p>

<p>This link is from 2006 and includes an “application” for consideration of the National Scholars Program at Oklahoma. If you look at it you will see that it has national hispanic scholar listed as one of the awards eligible for a great scholarship.
[AISD</a> Scholarships: The University of Oklahoma National Award Scholarship](<a href=“http://www.austin.isd.tenet.edu/academics/scholarship/print.php?id=00000453]AISD”>http://www.austin.isd.tenet.edu/academics/scholarship/print.php?id=00000453)</p>

<p>Now I don’t know if Oklahoma still offers it but call the people referenced above and use that document in your talk with them.</p>

<p>In my research I found that admissions offices would tell me that a National Hispanic Scholar would get the same thing as a National Merit Finalist so even if National Hispanic Scholar is not listed for a merit scholarship, always be sure to make that phone call.
Hope this helps, just be persistent.</p>

<p>I confused Kenyon and Knox College as listed above. For Kenyon College the relevant language states:These are the most competitive and valued merit scholarships offered at Kenyon. They range in size, with the largest award covering approximately half the comprehensive cost of a year at Kenyon. While there are no specific grade point averages or scores that recipients must obtain to be considered for these scholarships, recipients are often at or near the top of their class and have received other selective scholarships or talent recognition programs, such as National Merit Scholarships, National Achievement Scholarships Program, National Hispanic Scholarship.</p>

<p>Knox College is up to $15K if student as not been awarded other type of Knox merit scholarship.</p>

<p>Sorry for the confusion, I was trying to do two things at once.</p>

<p>Yeah. I am going to Dartmouth. There was basically no way that Auburn could convince me to go there in light of the other schools that accepted me.</p>

<p>itsv–I want to personally thank you for this post. I recently moved to a new home/city, and plan to volunteer at local ps to help seniors apply to college. There is a large % of hispanics in the community who will truly benefit from your kindness. APOL-a mom</p>

<p>APOL and others,</p>

<p>Thank you for your kind words and gratitude. I think it is really important that students of Hispanic heritage apply and attend the best college that they can get into. I was very surprised in my research to find that “our” numbers are still down. In fact the high-achieving male Latino accounts for less that 1% of the four-year college population, a very upsetting statistic to me personally since I think my DS falls within that category. Part of this problem may be culturally but I truly believe that if Hispanics help each other out, we can increase the numbers. In my experience, education is the number one path for improving one’s position in life. With education comes knowledge, confidence, and to a degree power, afterall we are finally seeing it on the US Supreme Court-go Sonia Sottomayer!!</p>

<p>Although my initial research is directed at Hispanic Scholars in the NHRP, there is money and opportunity for all Hispanic students available. It just takes work in finding and being diligent and disciplined in applying for everything available. Nothing is possible if the Hispanic student does not take a chance.</p>

<p>APOL, I commend you in your work in helping other high school students. It’s also relevant to me because I have been contemplating a career change myself. I’m a lawyer but have not practiced for the last 7 years while I stayed home full-time with my children. With college on the horizon as well as my children getting older, I have been out job hunting but can’t seem to get excited about any law firm job. This past week I have felt a real calling to help other Hispanic high school students (whether it be through development of a website, local counseling etc.) in their pursuit of admississions and scholarships. I’ll let you know what developments. In the meantime, keep up your good work.</p>

<p>itsv</p>

<p>Just as an FYI, in my research I found many colleges who would give money for National Achievement Scholars (program from Collegeboard directed at African American HS students) but not have National Hispanic Scholar listed. I wrote to some of those colleges asking why they were making a distinction and if there was anything I could do to encourage them to extend the same type of merit scholarship to Hispanic Students. I’ll let you all know what happens.</p>

<p>Thanks ITSV, you’ve been a great help. KUDOS KUDOS</p>

<p>Best of luck with your new path in life. God works in mysterious ways.</p>

<p>ITSV, thanks for all your work! I forwarded this thread to the counseling department at my daughter’s high school.
My National Hispanic son is at Ohio State (class of '11). They were very generous. In addition to the scholarships you listed, he also applied for the Morrill Scholar and received it. The total was very close to a “full ride.” A benefit of Ohio State is that the scholarship money can be used for private housing after your first year. Most other schools only provide scholarships towards on-campus housing. For specific information, prospective students/parents should contact the office of minority affairs. They were very eager to help.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I just looked at the UIUC website and yes, the Provost scholarship requires candidates to have NHRP, Nat Achiev. or NMF status, and only 30 are given per year. More importantly, it is under the Illinois residents section. So, unless someone knows otherwise, it looks like us OOSers are OObusiness.</p>