Colleges with strong orchestras/chamber groups truly open for *non* music majors (engineering major)

I thought about suggesting it, but I can’t see it fitting OP’s budget. (Then again, neither will Tufts.)

2 Likes

I think we need more info to be helpful. Finances, what instrument, location/size/vibe preferences, Are you sure your kid won’t qualify for financial aid at Ivies and other top schools that have generous aid?

It sounds like you are doing a lot of research. If your child prefers a smaller school, there is always the option of playing in a regional orchestra, so include that in your research.

4 Likes

Does this kid have a decent probability of getting accepted to these generous schools…given they have very low acceptance rates.

I’m not trying to be a Debbie downer here…but really…she may have to compromise on having a conservatory level orchestra. Keep in mind, she will be working very hard in those engineering courses. My kid loved her less than conservatory level orchestra at her fine college of engineering program. She found it relaxing and a fun change from all that science and math. She loved being able to continue private lessons as well (and it was nice that she didn’t have an extra cost for those…if budget is an issue…check this as well).

And with the connections her private teacher had, my kid was able to play in several civic theater pit orchestras that were a lot of fun.

6 Likes

Have you looked at Furman? My daughter is probably going there this fall, and with the combination of music and merit scholarships she will get it will probably be cheaper than our in-state university (we are waiting on the music scholarship amount so don’t know yet for sure). Might not have engineering specifically because they are a small LAC. They have a very strong, welcoming music program and you do not need to be a major to get a music scholarship. I can tell you more about it if you are interested.

1 Like

Since we live in SC, DD will qualify and obtain several awards. I think the palmetto is 7.5K a year which she will definitely receive - there are other ones just for residents as well. We tried applying to private schools in NJ area during covid and they were accepted to all the prep schools but we received zero aid (and went through the process). If a school has a 50K+ tuition, it is unlikely any kind of aid will make that much a dent unfortunately.

3 Likes

Reach out to the folks at the music department at University of South Carolina!

3 Likes

DD does have legacy for Va Tech and UVA - but now that we are out of state, the OOS tuition is out of reach! Tech does have a strong band - engineering is tops as well. DD will most likely try but I’d say finances could make this tricky. Thank you!

1 Like

I posted re. our experience applying to NJ prep schools in 2020, we did not receive any aid (but the kids were accepted to all the schools which were very really competitive). I think that has taught us that we should in no way count on aid. We used the calculators that actually showed us being in the lower income range of all applicants (well, it is prep school) and obtaining aid but not one of 4 schools provided aid. I am trying to explore which schools would be a better fit given the constraints.

1 Like

I hear you and agree. I’m trying to lay out realistic options for her. I do think as long as the orchestra is welcoming and not playing HS level music, she’d be really happy.

2 Likes

We have - it’s too bad since it fits a lot of boxes except for engineering. She has several good friends focused on Furman. Best of luck on a generous music scholarship!!

University of Florida has a great engineering school and their symphonic band is open to non-music majors (with auditions).

2 Likes

DD: Violin
we live in SC, pretty open geographically except for CA. I’m the one thinking smaller is better given her personality however, her finding a community in music is important. Can you please provide an example of a region orchestra?

I don’t know about where you are looking…but many places have ____Civic Orchestra. Check and see. The blank is usually the name of the town.

1 Like

Yeah I saw the budget later. VA is stingy with their merit aid, but I guess you never know. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you! Not sure if this is something she would consider and you may already be familiar, but they do have a partnership program with Clemson and Georgia Tech: Dual-Degree Engineering, B.S. | Physics | Furman University

1 Like

Looking at the $20k budget, I would still run an NPC for a school like Yale. See what it says. If it doesn’t say less than $20k, then we should move on from the idea of any meet-needs schools and focus strictly on merit aid possibilities.

Also, for anyone who’s interested, ABET-accreditation if very important for a number of different engineering disciplines. This is a list of the ABET-accredited schools in the U.S. that offer a Bachelor’s degree. OP, does your daughter have any idea as to which engineering disciplines she’s interested in?

If your daughter becomes a College Board Hispanic Scholar Semi-Finalist or Finalist, then that opens a lot of options up. Most of them are at bigger schools, but they might feel more intimate depending on the size of the music community, engineering school, and/or honors college.

If you think your daughter would do better at a smaller school, then has she considered a school like the University of Tulsa? It’s an ABET-accredited private school with about 2700 undergrads. If the university grants National Hispanic Scholars the same award as National Merit ones, then she would get a full ride. All of its music ensembles are open to nonmajors and there’s also a 15-credit hour minor available in music that might work well for her. There’s the Tulsa Youth Symphony (which also has a Prestige Performance Series which “is a high-level accelerated weekend program open to all Northeast Oklahoma student musicians”) which could work well for an engineering student in classes during the week. There’s also the Tulsa Honors Orchestra which might be an additional outlet. And there’s also a professional orchestra in town (the Tulsa Symphony) if she wants to attend performances or perhaps be invited to participate in some one-off events.

3 Likes

Please also check the required courses for that engineering major. My DD went in hoping to get a minor in music. It was not possible for her to take the required courses for that minor and major in engineering.

So…check that also…if your kid is interested in a music minor.

2 Likes

Note that Alabama will give a full academic scholarship for National Hispanic Recognition awardees. They seem to have a decent music school. This includes room and board and even provides an additional $1000 per year.

2 Likes

I agree with this. ^^^ (Edited my post to remove similar comment.)

A few smaller schools offering engineering and opportunities to participate in orchestra/ensembles that may meet your budget with merit:

NJIT - NM award. Music Initiative partnership with Rutgers
NJIT Music

UA-Huntsville - NM award. I’m not sure about the fit of the UAH program, but there is a local symphony that may offer opportunities for students.
UAH Music
Huntsville Orchestra

Murray State (KY) - NM award.
Murray State music

Rose-Hulman - Hitting your budget would require one of the few competitive merit scholarships.
RH performing arts groups

WPI - Hitting your budget would require one of the few competitive merit scholarships.
WPI music

RPI and CWRU may be worth a look, but I don’t believe either offer merit awards large enough to meet budget.

GA Tech is larger than you want but may work if she is awarded one of the few, competitive merit awards. If she applies there, note that the merit foundations highly value service and leadership… they are looking for community leaders.

ETA: If your DD does have safeties in UofSC (or another SC school like Coastal Carolina or USC Upstate)… pretty much guaranteed admission, affordability AND she would be happy to attend… there is no reason she should not apply to reach schools. Go for it! Remember that “reach” does not just mean competitive admission; it also means a reach financially, such as needing a competitive scholarship to be affordable. When affordability is a key part of the decision, other areas of fit (such as quality of music opportunities, size, location, Greek life, sports) may require compromise.

(additional edits for typos and clarity… sorry, on my phone)

2 Likes

CWRU. They give generous merit as well.

2 Likes