Colleges with strong orchestras/chamber groups truly open for *non* music majors (engineering major)

I went to UW-Madison, and sang in Concert Choir (the top large choral group) for four years. I was a Journalism major.

Another top group was the Chamber Choir – smaller – and I believe they took non-music majors as well.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for such detailed an thoughtful responses!!! I will run the NPC this weekend. I have a lot of research to do on all the great detailed suggestions to look into! thank you again!

2 Likes

I don’t think she’s interested in a minor since it’s a lot of theory which she’s already taken. She’s more interested in the performance aspect. I also read that the minor in arts/music opens up a whole set of requirements that are not requirements or engineering so it would be a lot to manage. thank you!

1 Like

Thank you so much for this detailed helpful reply!! I did gather that ABET is essential. We have actually toured two schools so far USC (South Carolina… not CA :slight_smile: ) and University of Alabama- Huntsville (since she could obtain the full ride scholarship based on her CB award). They are both rather large schools but as you said, it’s the community that would help her - that is the same for a large or small school. Thank you once again, a lot to digest!

3 Likes

We’ve toured Huntsville - I would say this engineering program was impressive! Music department seemed very open to non majors. It’s definitely one due to the scholarship that she has on her list!

2 Likes

Thank you dramamama - I have a lot to look into- and run the NPC which I hope helps (we only know we didn’t obtain any aid when we applied to private school) clarify opportunities! thank you again!

1 Like

Purdue Engineering! My brother is in its FYE (1st year engineering) program and also participates in its Orchestra program. it’s for non-major students and it needs audition based on your skills (3 different levels I think).

1 Like

Post above reminded me…

Want to say I have known kids at the Philadelphia schools who have played with various level city orchestras. That’s an option, and one that can also be a bit of a relief from school (vs school community). Different beast, but a great way to expand the list. And problem an optional in almost every City.

1 Like

I don’t think you want to get into theory unless you have a strong interest in a major/minor even if you’ve had a lot of theory. I was absolutely stunned at the rigor and level of work required for freshman music theory. And my kid had years of theory background. They were writing 7+ page papers discussing short passages of music in technical terms. There were parents starting threads on the difficulty of this class on the parent board for my kid’s school. I am sure it has led to many students changing paths. He is also doing a STEM degree and he wouldn’t categorize it as easier or less work then the weeder classes on that side.

This may vary by school of course, but I was pretty shocked how hard that theory track is at his University. This is all an aside of course! :slight_smile: But just putting it out there because if your student is a strong player some teachers may put pressure on to be more involved in a SOM.

2 Likes

In no way would I take your FA experience at prep schools as a foreshadowing of what would happen at the extremely generous colleges.

4 Likes

There are a number of 3+2 schools out there as well that allow 3 years at a small school and 2 years at a school with engineering.

Case Western Reserve in Cleveland has engineering and good music options—they also offer the 3+2 program with Baldwin Wallace University (the smaller school with lots of music for the first three years).

1 Like

Rice has a decent orchestra made up of non-music major students. It’s called campanile orchestra. They have several videos on youtube. Their current roster includes several Texas all-state alumni. Their engineering program may not be top-notch but I think is among T20.

1 Like