Colorado College EA/ED Class of 2022

My son was accepted!!!

ACCEPTED!!!

omg

stepson accepted with presidential scholarship.

i got in!!
it’s gonna be kind of expensive (20k a year) and i have about 40k saved up, so I’m looking at going that same amount into debt. i like the school but im going to keep my options open!

I am completely in shock right now. My daughter was deferred. She has a 4.0 unweighted GPA, 34 ACT (35 superscore), 8 AP classes. excellent extracurricular, excellent letters, excellent esssys and her brother is a current student there that has won several awards from the school. This is shocking and very, very disappointing. UGH!!!

@pcmom1 that is a real head scratcher. So sorry for your D’s disappointment. Maybe they were thinking she was unlikely to attend if accepted? Is it possible her profile/application were inadvertently reading as a kid who might be setting her sights elsewhere? Literally I have no answers I am just thinking out loud … puzzler indeed.

My son was deferred-- ACT 35, Unweighted GPA 4.0, current Student Government Vice President, Strong ECs and recommendations. Since he is a strong candidate, I suspect they didn’t see sufficient interest on his part (He didn’t tour the school or request an interview). I believe they didn’t want to risk accepting him and have him not actually attend, thus bringing down their enrollment rate.

He got ED from Rice University, so actually they were correct in their assumptions.

Still, CC is a great school and would have been an excellent Plan B if he had not gotten into Rice, so I am disappointed that he wasn’t accepted.

Totally identify with you. My son was also deferred with a 34 ACT, 11 AP classes, extracurriculars, community service, etc. Oh well, he has maxed out merit aid at a number of other great schools. Just can’t figure out how some of these schools make their decisions.

Thanks to all the deferred comments. My son also deferred after Colorado College came to his school talking him into applying and getting him convinced to apply. What a disappointment for my son. Because as a parent Wanted to support my only son 33 ACT, all state orchestra, etc

Should I be concerned? I was rejected outright - not even deferred. International applicant with 35 ACT, 800/800/800 in SAT II Phy/Chemistry and Math, and relatively strong extracurricular record. I showed quite a bit of interest too - interviewed, did the virtual tour etc. Was it because I was applying for financial aid? Or is there some other part of my application that caused this? I’m getting really concerned as I’ve been rejected ED from Amherst as well.

No, don’t be concerned. There is a great school out there for you with those credentials. Each school is a little different, and always kind of a mystery. A student at my son’s high school was accepted Stanford and deferred at Bowdoin last year, so you never know at some of the more selective schools exactly how they are making up their class.

I have no idea what I am talking about, so take this with a grain of salt. A number of the colleges mentioned in this thread (Williams, Bowdoin, Rice) were on my list too. Rice and Stanford ( and Duke, and Texas and Michigan) are huge schools. Williams and Bowdoin and CC are small. SO it is a fact that part of the admissions decision is going to be based on a balance in all departments. While CC will accept 1000 students and matriculate 520 or so, it cannot be 520 Literature majors. In any given year, there may be more available slots in certain disciplines and / or more applicants in a certain discipline. At a large college like Duke or Stanford, adding another 25 chemistry majors to the 500 person lecture hall is no big problem if they are all brilliant. CC, Bowdoin and Williams ( and Reed, Whitman, Wesleyan, Swarthmore, Washington & Lee, Pomona, Scripps, Mudd, Hamilton, etc) do not have that luxury.

Admissions at CC is getting a little crazy. Students never brag about HS grades, but I can’t tell you the number of times I have heard something like, " I never got anything but As in all my HS classes, including 12 AP classes. But now I have a 3.1 here!" So virtually everyone who gets accepted has a perfect GPA and National Honor Society Cred. I guess I got lucky that the halls of the Physics Department are pretty empty, so there was room for me. It is entirely possible that if I chose English, I would be at Duke, and not accepted here.

With those stats, CC my have been concerned she would have applied ED to a higher ranking school and gone there -
concerned about their yield rates. I know other kids with 4.0’s and 34 on the ACT that have been deferred EA in the past.

@slhogan If your son was accepted ED from Rice, that is a binding commitment. Why didn’t your son withdraw his EA application to CC? He would not have been able to attend and would have just taken a spot for someone who may have wanted it.

^This.

The decision announcements came just days apart. Rice gives him 30 days to withdraw his other applications and he’s working on that this week. :slight_smile:

@KoloradoKid, LAC’s will never, with the exception of fine arts majors at some schools, accept a student based on intended areas of interest as LAC students traditionally change their mind several times over the first 2 years. Universities are different, as in those cases one is applying to a specific college that includes a collection of majors.

Does anyone know if chances of admission are different at CC ED1 vs. ED2. A student of mine has chosen to go the ED2 route due to improved first semester senior year grades.

idk about CC, but usually its a declining % from ED1 to ED2 - I assume its variable in any given year based on ED1 yield. Don’t know accuracy of attached link at similar highly selective LAC’s, but it may shed some light http://collegefitadvisor.net/not-so-fast-pulling-the-trigger-on-early-decision-2/ - note its 3 years old, so all of the RD rates are now lower.