Colorado College EA/ED Class of 2022

I don’t have the exact figures but in the past the ED2 acceptance rate was quite a bit lower than ED1.

That’s crazy, PCMom! I hope that she is going to immediately write “the letter” confirming her interest, etc. DD1 g got into her top college after being deferred - sounds like a case where she should definitely call admissions.

Has anyone received their acceptance packages in the mail?

Yes, last week with Merit $

i got mine a few days ago with merit $ too

that’s so crazy to read about people who were deferred/rejected with such great stats. i had a 34 ACT too but was accepted. it seems so random sometimes but i agree with the others that they probably assumed you guys would go somewhere else

What does it mean if I’ve been accepted but haven’t received the admission package or been allowed to join the facebook group for the class of 2022?

@lg9902 were you accepted ED or EA? If ED have you deposited/enrolled through the portal?

I’d contact admissions as soon as they are back in the office, you should have received your packet by now (unless you are international, it might take a bit longer).

I was accepted EA but I still haven’t gotten the packet but everyone else seems to have already gotten it

I’ve watched CC admission results for several years now. They can be rather baffling and hard-to-predict.
When you see rejection despite what seem to be great qualifications (not even just stats), it’s tempting to chalk it up to:

1. yield management (rejecting someone they think will choose an even more selective school)
  2. need-awareness (rejecting a high-need applicant in favor of someone with similar demographics + stats but lower need)
  3. lack of demonstrated interest

In reality, so many factors are in play that it’s hard to determine why some rejections occur. I do think CC is more mindful of mutual “fit” than some other peer schools.

I agree that fit is important. Essays need to be taken seriously and reflect that you “get” CC.

@“Stuart Hall Dragon” hiii, you may be gone, but this is for anyone who may be wondering the same thing (about the percentages). i requested information from colorado college a little while ago (eventually decided not to apply), and this is what the statistics are in the book:

— early decision i/ii: 33%
— early action: 18%
— regular action: 5%

so, as far as i know, you are not disadvantaged for applying early decision ii because the acceptance rates appear to be the same in each round. good luck to that student!

there’s definitely luck and randomness in this process. the head of admissions came to my son’s school and no one else signed up to talk to him. so my son had 30 minutes of one on one time with him and they liked each other. he was a strong applicant – also got in EA to Georgetown and Notre Dame – but no stronger than some of the deferred or rejected kids on this thread.

The difference is that your son showed interest in the school and CC REALLY cares about that. Students with high stats who apply EA and do not show interest by visiting CC or speaking to an admissions rep at their school are often deferred EA because CC wants high yield and assumes that this type of applicant will go elsewhere and is using CC as a backup. CC is not the only school who does this. Essays for CC also illustrate depth of interest and understanding of the culture and are difficult to really address well if have not visited the school or spoken to an admissions person. My D who was number 1 in her class ( with quite rigorous classes) and had very high ACT and SAT subject test scores plus visited the school (also interviewed) knew that she had to apply ED to be assured of acceptance. May have been accepted EA but could have very well been deferred and since CC was her first choice, she applied ED there and was accepted with merit aid.

Thanks @kalons I was curious as it seems to me a school might look positively on a kid waiting until his first semester senior grades came out and it was his first choice. In this student’s case he is taking four APs and getting As in all of them so he took the risk to wait until ED2

I think the 33% ED acceptance rate is a little misleading because they don’t separate out ED1 vs ED2. ED1 will be higher, ED2 will be lower, but the actual numbers aren’t available as far as I know.

When I asked a CC rep about ED1 Vs ED2 at an open house this fall- if there was a clear advantage to ED1 over ED2- she responded that generally speaking the ED1 applicants are a stronger cohort because they aren’t waiting for fall grades and/or winter test scores to improve their transcripts. Also, she mentioned it’s possible a number of ED2 applicants were passed over by their first choice ED schools so might run into some of the same road blocks via ED2 at CC.

I’m not suggesting that ED2 doesn’t give an advantage admissions wise, especially for a strong applicant whose grades are trending up and who is committing to attend if admitted. The reality is that CC has already formulated a substantial base for the class via ED1 with a fair guess on numbers via EA. ED2 applicants are assessed with the rest of the RD round available for comparison, and I can only imagine it is tough to predict how they are looking to round out the class. An impressive transcript will get an applicant to the committee table; once there, the rest of the application will hopefully present compelling reasons for admission in light of what AOs might be seeking.

@“Stuart Hall Dragon” keeping my fingers crossed for your son- keep us posted!

@climbski113 , this year seems kind of random. As I had mentioned earlier, my daughter was deferred EA. She has very stats, visited CC multiple times, had an on campus interview, visited classes, spoke with admissions rep twice when they visited her school, and has a brother that is a current student at CC that has received awards from his department and was nominated by the school for a national scholarship. And, here essays clearly demonstrated that she understands the block plan and that she was very interested in attending CC. We were very surprised she was deferred. She did not apply ED anywhere because she has a few schools that she would love to go to and didn’t want to limit her choice until she had all the information and financial details. I’m not sure what you need to do to get into CC these days. It is really crazy.

@pcmom1 Your daughter sounds highly qualified. Sounds like yield protection by CC.

I don’t think the sibling connection would really factor in as a boost without applying ED. Do you feel her passion and interest in CC was reflected in her essays?

@doschicos , yes I do fell that she showed genuine interest in CC through her essays and interview. We are really stumped.