Colorado School of Mines Admission for Fall 2023

Thanks, I noticed his last name is misspelled so I will contact admissions. Hope that’s the problem

1 Like

Oh man, the story of my life.

My daughter did end up with 2 student accounts and 2 student numbers at her school because coach submitted an application and daughter did her own. This caused major problems as some of her hs records ended up in one file and some in the second. It took me more than one semester to figure this out.

1 Like

Luckily he only has one student number, so the info is centralized even though his name was wrong. The name has been corrected, but the email/trailhead account has to be corrected. Ugh

It is like dominoes. One of the hardest things for my daughter to change was her meal plan - one name/number had plan A, the other plan B. Only “Bob” could change the meal plan. Only ‘Jane’ could change something else. It all came to a head when she went to register for second semester (priority registration as she was an athlete) and the registrar rejected her because they did not have her hs transcript. We’d sent it 3 times! All were in the ‘other’ file. Coach had to have her schedule changed.

There was also always an issue with her bill. They’d post something, back it off, repost, split it into two entries, etc. I don’t know if that’s why, but it would take me an hour to match up charges and credits.

She didn’t go to CSM, but it was a very similar tech school. You’d think they’d be better with computers, wouldn’t you!

My son was accepted back in December, OOS (VA).
His stats are:
4.3 w GPA (school doesn’t calculate unweighted but I’d estimate at 3.7)
1400 SATs
7 APs, many honors
Eagle Scout (ie many ECs)
Civil Engineering major

He was offered 6k in merit, which seems low compared to what others are listing and the 14k he was offered from UMASS Amherst (also out of state.)

Any thoughts on negotiating the offer?

It’s probably worth a shot. FYI, we’re also in Virginia and your son’s stats are almost exactly like my son’s and we had the same merit award ($6k). He withdrew b/c he got ED to Virginia Tech… i assume they make the awards knowing not everyone will be able to take them up on it, but they probably leave some room for negotiation.

2 Likes

That’s great! We are EA to VT, but didn’t do ED. Did he get any money from VT?

No, VT is annoying with merit based scholarships. After you get accepted you have to do another application for the general scholarship, and then you can apply to additional specific scholarships. It’s way more frustrating than some of these other out of state schools (CSM, ASU, Michigan State, Alabama, Arizona, etc).

We won’t find out about any scholarships for like another month.

1 Like

Congrats on Virginia Tech! Sorry, replied inadvertently with a too long post. My son was accepted at Mines with merit and has a pending application in at Virginia Tech. We are in Texas. If he is accepted at Virginia Tech with no merit, the cost will be about the same a Mines (maybe a touch less). Also, if he is accepted at VT, we will likely travel for a visit. Your thoughts on VT versus Mines would be much appreciated.

2 Likes

Thanks! So for us Virginia Tech is in state, making it the cheapest option (except for Alabama) even after merit aid from others. My son is pretty laid back and adaptable and doesn’t seem to have strong preferences on what kind of school he wants to go to. So cost was definitely a strong consideration.

We didn’t get to visit Mines during the process, but in visiting Tech, all the kids there seemed to really love their school. Reading accounts from Mines students, they seemed to be more stressed. This is likely because at Tech there are lots of different majors that we ran across, and at Mines I’ve mainly read stuff from engineers, and if I had talked to mostly engineers at VT I might have had the same impression, but it still gave that overall impression.

So basically, from an objective standpoint it comes down to costs. We had the strength of the programs as comparable. VT’s location is closer to us, but Colorado is beautiful and we love that location. The feel of the schools are very different, but that was low on my son’s list.

Early on in the process he actually had WPI as his top choice based on program (we haven’t visited), and Mines is closer to WPI than Virginia Tech is as far as feel/fit.

Thanks. That’s great perspective. Mines and WPI also don’t have “Enter Sandman” which is a great tradition for big-time college football! :slight_smile:

1 Like

But Mines did play for the national championship in football this year.

2 Likes

Very true. I hope my son chooses Mines!

Is anyone else planning to attend the accepted students event on April1? I’m hoping registration opens soon. We previously visited in the summer and it was pretty quiet on campus, so I’m hoping that will give my son a better sense of the students, etc.

2 Likes

Yes I am planning on attending with my son. Please post once they open registration.

1 Like

Did anyone attend the Study abroad program webinar for CSM on Feb 4th? We registered but completely missed it because of the time zone difference. I was just curious about what they talked about. thanks.

Anyone visiting later in April? We can’t attend Admitted weekend and waiitng on CA lottery schools.

1 Like

We are planning on flying out for the April 1 event (if they ever open registration). I’ll
Report back!

1 Like

Looking forward to hearing your impressions. :pick: