Columbia summer IYRC Medicine and Research program

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone could share thoughts about signing up for the Columbia IYRC Medicine and Research summer program?

Some notes if easier:

• Seems legit: the director is a Harvard grad and at Columbia med school; the speakers are all Columbia doctors and researchers; the iyrc is also mentioned on one of the medical center’s websites
  • Format: says virtual on Saturdays for 2 hours June 19-Aug 21 (so 10 weeks, 20 hours synchronous + ? asynchronous content).
  • Topics: from the schedule seems like a lot of clinical topics (anatomy, ethics, global health), and then some workshops on doing research.
  • Cost: $200
  • Assignments: says “Opportunity to participate in a case study competition, write a research paper, create a community project, or craft a health narrative”

My school counselor sent info out about it the other day, and overall, I thought the topics, speakers, and the research paper/ case study competition sounded interesting, but I couldn’t find any info about it besides the 2 websites mentioned above (maybe it is new?). I am interested in a health career. Do you think it could be a nice summer activity for learning some things? Would love to hear some thoughts. Any and all advice is appreciated! Thank you!

2 Likes

Hey! I actually didn’t know about this. I’ve checked it out and it’s intriguing. I’m definitely applying. I don’t really have anything else to do during the summer lol. Shouldn’t hurt.

1 Like

Well, whereas it’s medicine program, and it includes doing research