Columbia University Science Honors Program ENTRANCE EXAMINATION

<p>Actually I left it blank. And the second question.. What the hell does it mean by like a base 10 or something?</p>

<p>i had no idea..i jsut worked it out anyway..forgot wat i put but bet it was wrong..and i also tried subbing numbers...that worked for two of them..i'm pretty sure i got those</p>

<p>oh yea..one proctor said 1/3 of a point is taken off for wrong answrs..another said 1/4 is taken off...i think the former was right tho</p>

<p>I was in Pupin 428..where were u guys?</p>

<p>have confidence TheRubberDuckie! I was testing in a room full of scary juniors, and they were all talking about the calculus they used on the challenge section, and I thought I would never get in. They don't give you your final score, so I probably missed questions here and there :]</p>

<p>Well, maybe I was like retarded at that moment...I was at International Affairs Bldg. Room 417 was basically like... an auditorium >.< and there was this guys who keeps making these weird noises. I think he had anxiety problems... NOT fair everyone was so distracted >.<!</p>

<p>I need to worry because I'm a junior... freshman and sophomore get the curve.. I'll just comfort myself and when I get the rejection letter I won't have to feel so bad... =;( But I'll take your advice Koreapride93! Hope for the best :) OOh did you take the test again?</p>

<p>The curve helps, but they accept mostly juniors anyways. I never thought I'd get in, so maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised! I didn't take the test again this year (it was enough torture last year, I'm not going through it EVER again...), but I actually was in Columbia yesterday! I was in the Mudd building, and I visited Pupin to peek at the test takers.</p>

<p>xD That's great! But, out of the many test takers I'm guessing there's like 1000 juniors and they're only accepting 300 >.< Oh my cow If i miss this.. I won't have another chance =[</p>

<p>i'm pretty sure the answer to the "workers" problem was y^3/x^2. unfortunately, i didn't reaslize that until the buzzer rang, and i didn't want them to disqualify me for bubbling in an answer after the buzzer. i only answered 9 of the challenge questions, but now i know i could've answered more (at least 12-13)... i just wasn't thinking clearly. (i'm a freshman btw) they should really give us the challenge questions first. my brain was fried after 2 hours of being grilled on things i don't remember. :)
i was in room 417 too, the kid you mentioned doesn't have anxiety issues. he has no reason to be anxious actually; i know (of) him and he's VERY smart. it's something else, but i forget what.</p>

<p>im curious now of why he made those noises.. Hopefully he was not deliberately trying to make other test takers distracted because that's just plain wrong. </p>

<p>Anyway what did you get for the first question with the i's and everything.
The cube?
The false statements?
The probability one?
The one where someone is 2 miles faster than the other?
And i forgot what else...</p>

<p>the false statements one was "Three of the statements were false"
I don't remember any of the other problems? :/
Damn, if it's really 1/3 of a point off for each wrong answer, I just screwed myself by a whole question.</p>

<p>reading some of ur posts really makes me think......i'm not gonna get in..</p>

<p>SmArTaSs: for the science section, for the questions i wasn't 100% sure of, I guessed too! :]
CC'ers did pretty well last year, so I hope you all do well!
did any of you test in havemeyer? thats where i tested :P</p>

<p>about how many kids get in?
i was under the impression it was 200
but I remember seeing somewhere else on this thread it was around 350?</p>

<p>its based on how many kids graduate the program. last year, there were 350 open spots (so it says on the acceptance letter), and about 2000 applied. It changes per year though, since poeple stay through all their years of high school.</p>

<p>hi, guys, kinda new to this forum and just joined because of this thread XD</p>

<p>rubberduckie: for the cube one i think i got like 6 x 12^3 or something like that. that probably wasnt the exact answer choice but i dont really remember the question that well</p>

<p>same for false statements as the other person</p>

<p>probability - this one confused me for a sec >_< i think i got 8%</p>

<p>and then 2.5 miles for the last one</p>

<p>phew...btw, did anyone get the x men y men question cuz i tried for like twenty min but didnt get anything XD</p>

<p>oh yeah but im also not sure if i got all of those answers right, so dont trust me on those x_x</p>

<p>what was the runner's question again?
i remember that one was confusing me because i thought it was 2+2 at first
and then realized that was if all of them were running at the same speed</p>

<p>meh I put 2 for the speed one...which i now realize must be wrong. i didn't even answer the n<50 one or whatever that was. </p>

<p>btw base 10 just means normal base.the system we use..as in, binary system would be base 2. </p>

<p>i didnt answer the x men question. and i got the question that i actually KNEW the answer too wrong, the one with the triangle.after the science section, my brain experienced complete..er...combustion.. >.< seriously!!!</p>

<p>also, did anyone else who was in Havemeyer think the seats were arranged really badly?? i mean, seriously, i was being really paranoid about ppl trying to cheat off my answers. haha.</p>