Columbia University Science Honors Program ENTRANCE EXAMINATION

<p>haha i tested in havemeyer last year. it was really cramped and i was all hunched over my work and papers were flying...haha good memories....
yeah...after the first 2 sections the last thing i wanted to do was do a challenge section...but you know, those 2.5 hr CSHP classes require some BRAIN ENDURANCE (jk, they're actually really interesting and a lot of fun) :]</p>

<p>What was the answer to the triangle problem?</p>

<p>what triangle problem? o.o was it in the challenge section or easy? It'll be wonderful if you remember it. and please guys don't feel depressed, miracles do work! </p>

<p>and lmao i never heard of a base system thingy >.< so awww lmao</p>

<p>it was in the challenge section
i think it was a triangle with 105, 45, 35 angles with side measure 8 opposite the 45
whats the length of the side opposite the 35</p>

<p>lmao
now i know what it feels like during the waiting months after you apply to colleges.</p>

<p>OOOH that one you need to use law of sines. Sin(45))/8 = (sin(30))/x then you solve it. But unless you did precal you won know what the special angles equal to. Sin(30) =1/2 and Sin(45) =1/squareroot of 2. i think i got it wrong idk >.<</p>

<p>or maybe i'm wrong...i believe the answer was... 4 square root of 2.</p>

<p>well
hopefully i wont see any of guys when i retake the shp test next year :(</p>

<p>aw come on protagonizer! you have a good chance of getting in!! (plus you're from nj, and we're invading cshp) :P</p>

<p>i skipped the physics questions, cause ive never learned physics before.. i guessed on some of the ones i didn't know, but not on the ones i couldn't narrow down anything for (sat logic..hehe)</p>

<p>our proctor said -1/4 for challenge questions wrong, idk about the others..</p>

<p>and yeah the worker problem was y^ 3 / x ^2</p>

<p>i tested in havemeyer room 309 =)</p>

<p>the first challenge q i think was -1..?</p>

<p>i got .09p^x (i forget what)
i dont understand the p part.. so i just left it blank..</p>

<p>one of the cube problems there was a unit change right..? i didnt se ethat x_x</p>

<p>also how do you do the last problem?! i want to know so bad haha</p>

<p>wth... my proctor didn't tell us crap... he basically read from what's on the sheet like a penalty for wrong answers and no penalty for a question left blank... and he said he done this for a great many years...
and yea i got -1 for the first q...
the cube one i got 488?
the false statement i picked 3...
the last one i picked 2
the triangle on i picked 4root2
the thingy with the a/a +b/b +c/c+abc/abc i picked [-4,0,4] < i think it's wrong
the probability one i picked .09 and i think the pa nd 3p was just unnecessary information right?
that's all i remember...</p>

<p>i dont think the abc thing is right because the answer can't be 0 because you can't divide numbers by 0 o<em>O i lost all my common sense on that part. like the cube thing i pput 600 but then i realized i counted the edge-squares more than once. x</em>X i suck ._.</p>

<p>physics: i = E/R :D</p>

<p>yea but... if a was 1, b is -2, c is -3 and then abc = +6, if you divide by it's absolute value, you get 1-1-1+1 =0 o.o right? o.o</p>

<p>so yea... don't fret! You probably did well!</p>

<p>yeah i think you're right about the 4, 0, 4 one. that's what i ende dup putting down, i think. and that E/R question was the only physics question i could figure out haha (never taken physics before). </p>

<p>how did you get .09 for the probability one?</p>

<p>well i was thinking there's only 99 numbers you can choose from right? and there's 8 perfect squares. so..9/99 is... 0.0 ugh... 0.09?</p>

<p>I mean 9 perfect squares. Anyone know how to solve the worker problem?</p>

<p>hmm not sure if i got the probability one right now. actually not sure for any of them haha. this kinda sucks...</p>

<p>anyway, just figured out the worker problem in like less than a minute, which really would've been helpful when i was actually taking the test, but oh well XD here's what i think:</p>

<p>x / x^3 represents the number of articles per men, per hour, per day, with x = articles produced and x^3 = men * hours * days. this reduces to 1 / x^2. if you multiply this by y^3 (which = y men * y hours * y days), this will cancel out the men, hours, and days part and leave the # of articles produced, so your final answer (should be?) y^3 / x^2. </p>

<p>although hopefully someone else can make sure that's right, since i'm only like 10% sure that my way is right :]</p>

<p>im taking physics this yr but we only did vectors and 2 dimensional motion n something else. never got to the circuits part. but on the day of the exam my cuzin told me the formula so thats how i knew o<em>O x</em>X ._. </p>

<p>havemeyer was retarded. i could c the answers of the person sitting below me. its pathetic -_- (no i dont intend to cheat off ppl)</p>

<p>i was clueless on how to solve the workers problem i think i guessed the right answer tho @_@</p>

<p>(sry bout my copious emoticons. i cant help it D: )</p>

<p>OMG...i want to get in so badly! i promised myself that i would not get upset if i don't get in, but after taking the test and actually being at the campus, i really want to get in! i mean, i'll have an excuse to visit Columbia every week without seeming crazy..i want to get in, but just have the feeling i won't =.=..... on a higher note, I got into my school's science research program!</p>