Columbia University Science Honors Program ENTRANCE EXAMINATION

<p>oh wait no scratch tht i get it now (:</p>

<p>I honestly donā€™t get it.</p>

<p>Could someone give me a link to AMC questions?</p>

<p>wait , guys a 600x600x600 cubes has 216000000 cubes in it , the # of cubes exposed would be a clear cut # not 215808 , i subtracted the cubes not exposed which is 400x400x400 which is 64000000 and got 152000000</p>

<p>hehe noo forget it , shaheirudden , its 600^3-598^3 (: not 400 the cubes are 1 by 1 by 1</p>

<p>but can anyone whose taken the test tell me if its like the AMC 10 or 12? because i can do the AMC 10 relatively easily, but i have no idea how to solve any of the AMC 12 problems</p>

<p>Could someone give me a link to AMC questions?</p>

<p>You guys are finding the area, not the surface area. Then after you find the surface are you have to account for the cubes that are acounted for twicw which are 71716. Because there are 598 on each edge. Then you have to take into the account of the corners which are counted three times. There are 8 corners. Then 2160000-(71716)-(8*2)= 2152808.</p>

<p>yea i got it , woah AMC12 questions are difficult , search it up on google , hereā€™s one AMC ques tht i was like HOW THE F**K do u solve it ? </p>

<p>The first three terms of an arithmetic sequence are 2x - 3, 5x - 11, and 3x + 1 respectively. The nth term of the sequence is 2009. What is n?</p>

<p>I donā€™t understand the 598 part. </p>

<p>@falling4rain you can solve the question with some binomial theorem formula , but I honestly donā€™t remember it lol. **** the last math section is gonna be OD hard. :/</p>

<p>Hereā€™s one more that i kind of got the answer for ā€¦ easier than the last prob (: A solid cube has side length 3 inches. A 2-inch by 2-inch square hole is cut into the center of each face. The edges of each cut are parallel to the edges of the cube, and each hole goes all the way through the cube. What is the volume, in cubic inches, of the remaining solid?</p>

<p>@shaheirudden think of the cube inside the 600x600x600 cube , its dimensions wud be 589x598x598 ā€¦ im a freshman anyone else here a freshman ? ):</p>

<p>@sheirudden , think of the cube inside the 600 cube , its deminsions are 598 by 598 and woah wat never heard of it ): , i really want to get it in this program , anyone else here a freshman ???</p>

<p>iā€™m a freshman</p>

<p>would the ans to the second cube question be 3 unites cubed?</p>

<p>im a freshmanā€¦
im assuming most of u are cty members. what did u guys get for the SAT math (especially those of u whove already gotten in)? i got a 760</p>

<p>also, i think the way to solve the cube question is take the volume (3x3x3=27) and subtract the volume of the cross thing inside (2x2x2 + 2x2x0.5x6 = 8+12 = 20)</p>

<p>so i think the answer should be 27-20 = 7 cubic inches</p>

<p>nope its 11
btw: I am in CTY
but i took the SAT in 7th grade so the score wonā€™t help you figure out my capabilities now. But then i got a 720 too. I think I could do better no. Atleast I think i can (I am a freshman). And I am going for a corse this summer. i am so excited. Three weeks alone!!!</p>

<p>the answer is 7 do 3(2x2x3)-2(2x2x2) yea :slight_smile: ā€¦ wats cty ? and what course u taking ?</p>

<p>@JHUGirl: i took mine in the 7th grade also. and which course, which site? im taking chem at skidmore. have u done camp before? i did carlisle last year, and siena the year before.</p>

<p>nope first year. I am going to do chem too at JHU
and yes it is 11 because the overall area = 27
then the first prism taken out is (2<em>2</em>3) the the secon one is also (2<em>2</em>30 but minus (2<em>2</em>2) because of the overlap. so:
12+ (12-8) which is 12 +4= 16
then 27-16= 11</p>

<p>@ falling4rain: do you know the anwer. Was it given?</p>