Columbia University Science Honors Program ENTRANCE EXAMINATION

<p>maributt : grafting was the third choice; isn't that when you take a piece of something and kind of.. attach it to something else? i know they graft (perhaps that's not the term used) certain fruits by sticking another fruit's tree limbs onto the original's tree.
i didn't know that one either, but i guessed I and II.</p>

<p>yea, the challenge wasn't as bad as i thought...
but the science. omg, i forgot all bio basically. and weather maps? wow...i learned about thsoe in 5th grade. and i feel so ashamed for forgetting so much because i'm going to a biomed camp in upenn this summer...i have to brush up on everything :(</p>

<p>so yea...i'm not sure if i'll get in still. i'm a sophmore right now...and the freshman are pretty damn smart i have to say. actually, i'm going to reword it. many are extremely good at test taking...</p>

<p>WEATHER MAPS. guh, those killed me. =__= out of all things i thought they'd put on the science section, i hadn't expected weather maps.</p>

<p>what building were you in today? </p>

<p>pupin hall, rm. 301 i thnk. what building were u in?</p>

<p>oh! so was i. we had the proctor with the british-ish accent. :9
where were you sitting? (small chance of recognizing each other out of the 29487529847518923795 people there, but hey! at least it's worth a try.)</p>

<p>ahhhh!!! yea! um...k, i was in the middle section, but right on the edge next to the right aisle (if ur facing the british dude) and like 3 rows from the back...i was wearing a big red stanford sweatshirt lol. </p>

<p>where were u?</p>

<p>ohhh...awh. i was in the middle section, too, but near the left aisle, near the middle-front of the room. obnoxiously bright blue shirt. </p>

<p>ah, we were close. :P well, good luck with getting into the program! maybe we'll meet [again] in the future, haha. </p>

<p>the proctor with the british accent was in Havemeyer. I was in there.</p>

<p>pupin 301 had one, too.
i like their accent. it's pretty.</p>

<p>oh the base question in the easy math section i misinterpreted as a log question</p>

<p>but... the one in the challenge question i got..</p>

<p>our numeral system is a base 10 system, binary system is base 2, etc.</p>

<p>25 in base 7 would be 19 in base 10, don't really know any other way to explain it.</p>

<p>btw, i was in the front. during the waiting periods after i'd finished my tests early, i wanted to snatch one of the college student's books, souls of black folk. it sounds so interesting and i've been looking for it on ebay in the past few weeks.</p>

<p>i was in Havemeyer too, i think we were put in rooms alphabetically.
Did all the rooms have alot of freshman like the one I was in?</p>

<p>YES!!! enormous amount of freshman...is that a disadvantage to people who are not freshman? i know that freshman get a bit of a curve and all...</p>

<p>o well...going to try to not think about it and just smile :)</p>

<p>I know that freshman are not liked right know in this thread.... but
I am a freshman, what kind of curve ??</p>

<p>meant now not know lol</p>

<p>i didn't know freshmen got a curve.
that's kind of unfair, isn't it? i don't see why they should have their scores boosted because of grade level -- i don't see why anyone should have their scores curved, for that matter.
(lawl, i don't dislike freshmen, i just... don't like the idea of a curve.)</p>

<p>can anyone confirm the curve? i.e. a proctor saying it or something. sometimes rumors get thrown around. </p>

<p>300 out of 2000 seems about right. They take less than 20% (If I recall correctly).</p>

<p>And I think the freshman get a big curve. Sophomores get a lesser curve, and juniors get an even lesser curve.</p>

<p>I was in Mudd Building, Rm 825. I thought the first math section was fairly easy. The science was kind of difficult. My brain just kind of dazed out towards the end of that section and I couldnt seem to concentrate so I skipped a lot. But after I went back and reworked the skipped questions I was able to do them. Challenge Section = Difficult.</p>

<p>yea, they accept around 14% i think...</p>

<p>and yea, there's definitely a curve; if a freshman gets the same scores as a sohmore or junior, there's a bigger chance that the freshman will get in :/ (not that i have anything against freshman)</p>

<p>did anyone catch the name of any of the proctors at Pupin 301?</p>

<p>y? i wish i knew the names though...esp. the one of the british dude. his accent was hot and made me want to just smile :)</p>