Completely Clueless About Housing... Help!

<p>So I just realized that the deadline is seriously like the end of this week and I have absolutely no idea what so ever about housing.</p>

<p>I don't even know HOW to apply for housing XD</p>

<p>So can anyone tell me how to? And also give me some advice or general information on the housing options there for the halls?</p>

<p>I've heard that Waters is really good, but it's hard to get into. I've looked at the website but it's not that great of a resource in personal opinion I guess.</p>

<p>Advice and information and opinions would be great! Help please! Thanks!</p>

<p>Congrats on your recent admission! There have been several threads on housing recently.. just search/browse through the forum. </p>

<p>BTW, you may find the aerial view of campus map (<a href="http://www.map.wisc.edu/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.map.wisc.edu/&lt;/a&gt;) useful for relative location of each dorm to other campus locations.</p>

<p>Most importantly, get your dorm application (you should have received one, if you can't find it call Res Halls) in on time. The UW housing website has a lot of information- so many different styles, locations... it can be hard to choose. Like picking a college you have to make a list based on your priorities and you will get a chance to revise your list in the spring so don't panic. The biggest decision may be Lakeshore vs Southeast, smaller vs highrise, older vs newer; once you figure out which suits you best you can cluster your rankings to put similar dorms high or low- you may not get the popular dorm unless you get lucky so have some similar choices following it. If there are dorms you dislike be sure to put them at the bottom of your list. Seems like too many choices but it's nice the dorms are not uniform.</p>

<p>I got an email from a company called "University Housing" about housing information (nothing yet from UW, I just got my acceptance package yesterday) and they had some really nice looking dorms with private rooms and such.</p>

<p>Does anybody know anything about these private dorms? Are they worth looking into?</p>

<p>I'm also looking for help, like the topic creator, since I live in AZ and I haven't even had the opportunity to visit UW yet... Though I really want to asap!</p>

<p>I'll be an econ major though, so I'm sorta in between both the housing and by the lake.</p>

<p>Public dorms are on campus, good (great) food service, and put you with most of your freshman classmates. I talked with a parent at SOAR from OOS, her D was going to live in a private dorm partly because it was near the sorority (some people actually do the Greek system...) she would probably join and other OOS'ers "all" lived in them- a misperception as plenty of OOS students live in the campus dorms (covered in a thread a while back). Most students can handle the dorm lifestyle and don't need to sacrifice location and the other advantages for perhaps a bigger space and more private bathrooms. Even if you are rich living in the dorms is a good way to go. The housing website shows distances to various campus buildings from each dorm, room layouts, lofting guides and lots of other info; check the dining section- they didn't have pizza and sub delivery (ordered online) in my day!</p>

<p>Remember to have your parents attend SOAR- there is a separate program for them which is worthwhile, even for alumni. Definitely have them stay in the dorm, for the experience (brings back those college memories and they served us good food) and convenience. Also, don't worry about them getting in your way, they nicely separate students and parents for housing and most activities- you eat, sleep, test, get advising and register without needing to see your parents at all. They send students and parents together to the specific dorm you will be in but give a separate tour of a sample room so students and parents can ask questions without embarrassing each other. The parents get told a lot of information from the parent perspective, including all those things you probably would forget to mention- saves you a lot of questions from clueless parents.</p>

<p>Remember to use the UW website for all kinds of information, I found it a good way to learn things. The interactive map (also use Google Earth to view the buildings on campus), online catalog, timetable, housing site etc can waste a lot of fun hours- remember to click on subheadings. The campus definitely runs on its computers.</p>

<p>I don't really mind the idea of the dorms so much I guess, but I can afford an apartment if I want or a private dorm with my own private space...</p>

<p>I love to be around people but I am the type of guy who needs to "decompress" at the end of the day with some time off from socializing. Basically, I can see myself easily getting frustrated by being surrounded by other people 24/7, but then again that's probably something I should try and learn to live with.</p>

<p>A increasing number of students are living off campus (for cost and space reasons) since students now have free bus pass. But definitely try staying in a dorm, at least for your first year.</p>

<p>Can someone explain the private dorms? I read that most OOS students opt for this and it creates some friction between them and the Wisconsin students. I would love for my S to live ON campus, but I don't know if on-campus housing is guaranteed to OOS students, and how the lottery works. Chances seem slim to get your top choice on-campus dorms. But once you enter the lottery, you are bound to an on-campus contract, even if you get a really bad dorm. What is the experience in the private dorms? How far are they from campus? I also read that they are being sold because the request for private dorms is declining, with more housing available on campus.</p>

<p>Nearly all who want it can have on campus housing now.</p>

<p>There are no bad public dorms for next year, the old Ogg was always worst and they have built a new, vastly improved, one for next fall. Some OOS believe they won't get in the dorms, they do. Once you sign a contract you are obligated to live in the dorms and they find space. You don't always get your first choice, especially if it's one of the most popular, but you should get one close to it, if you remember to rank by location.</p>

<p>Last I heard was that OOS who applied by deadlines were not at a disadvantage (eg, last year 1/3 of entering students put Liz Waters as first choice, OOS students did get in it). You can call the Res Halls phone number and ask them questions during the work day, I did. I suspect any friction results from a perception of rich, snobbish OOS'ers who won't mingle with the masses...and OOS'ers who feel isolated by not being with everyone else... IF it matters at all.</p>