COMPREHENSIVE LIST for GIRL in Ridgecrest Suite going thru Recruitment

<p>lisa6191: We have one, large car, but we had three people in it (me, oldest son and youngest son). We needed one suitcase for the youngest son and me, because it’s a 12-hour drive from our VA home to T-Town. No way could I do it in one day. That said, we did ship some linens and some household-like items. Because he was going to be on campus early for Alabama Action, he wanted some additional clothing (shorts and t-shirts), so I may have shipped a small box down, too. Looking back, he did not need the additional clothing, he said. </p>

<p>What made the car’s truck a little tight was that we purchase plastic drawers that he converted into a dresser from one of local retailers. Again, looking back, we could have waited until we got to Alabama or we could have had them shipped to Paty. </p>

<p>We have learned plenty since the older son went to Alabama. I do not envision that my younger son, who is a HS senior, will take as much stuff to college. He’s much more of a minimalist. But, that could change, too. We still have a year before he goes to school.</p>

<p>lisa6191 - depends on whether you have additional family members driving with you. ALL of your stuff would easily fit into a rental mini-van if there was just you and your student. (If it doesn’t fit, you’re taking too much stuff!) If other family members are going, then they have luggage too, of course, and it will be tighter. My S and I took a mini-van down last fall and fully 1/3 of the volume was taken up by The Coffin (his hard-shell upright bass case) and required all seats folded down (so no passengers were possible even if we did have the room for 1 more). We took everything from home (did not plan on buying anything there). It easily fit. And, he took about 1/3 too much ‘stuff’ (far too many clothes, mostly), which is not returning with us this fall, so we might have room for another passenger this fall trip.</p>

<p>We plan to purchase items like the gel foam mattress topper online, and have it mailed directly to a condo location. This is a great space-saver for the car, especially for bulky items like duvets, pillows, etc. </p>

<p>Additionally, fall items such as Padagonia pullovers, sweaters and coats will arrive with us when we visit Parents Day Weekend.</p>

<p>I will update this list later today, so if you have any more suggestions, please bring them on!</p>

<p>Aeromom – It is the coffin case that is killing us! </p>

<p>DH wants to take a 12 passenger van. We are driving down with 5 of us and stopping in NC for vacation. </p>

<p>I’m a bit paranoid to ship things since the mail room will be going thru changeover.</p>

<p>Although DS is a minimalist, I’ve been going a bit crazy with stocking up OTC meds, first aid items, bed items and office supplies. And boy those costs are adding up.</p>

<p>I have told D to leave the heavy winter stuff at home and packed up. Then I can either bring it Parents Weekend or ship it. There is a UPS store right on the strip behind TCBY. I plan on shipping via UPS. If the UPS store there is a no problem. Anyone have experience with that location? I have a UPS account so we are good there. </p>

<p>We will have the Suburban with D’s car on a trailer behind it. 5 passangers and then after moving her in we are going on a 5 night vacation so we will have 4 other peoples luggage. We move in next Tuesday. YIKES! Hit up Big Lots yesteday for trashcan, small lamp, iron. Got laundry bags being made right now. Told her the bags take up far less space than hampers or baskets.</p>

<p>D opened a mailbox at the UPS Store at Bama Bound they told her they will hold he mail indefinitely.</p>

<p>D had a UPS box last year and has decided to keep it for next year and not mess with campus mail. She never had a problem and loved getting emails notifying her that a package had arrived.</p>

<p>We bought space saver bags – the under the bed storage varity with handles – from the Container Store. She got everything she needed such as linens, comforter, all her clothing (which is extensive) in these bags. With these bags, we were able to get all her dorm life necessities, clothes, shoes, etc to T-town in one trip with room to spare in the car for me, her and her dog-brother.</p>

<p>GREAT! I will have D open up a box at the UPS store when we are there next week. </p>

<p>As for those space saver bags. I purchase the ones at Target in the luggage section. You do not need a vacuum cleaner for it to work. I use them every single time we travel. They not only save space in your luggage but they keep your items dry in case of a downpour and your luggage is sitting out on the cart waiting to be loaded or getting unloaded at the airport.</p>

<p>I’m confused. I thought the UPS boxes were NOT going to be on campus after the renovation.</p>

<p>UPS = United Parcel Service and is across from Publix. The Ferg housed the USPS, not UPS.:)</p>

<p>Duh… Thanks for clarifying my confusal-ed brain.</p>

<p>Lisa, unless you’re bringing extra passengers, you should be fine with a minivan. I drove down with D in her Ford Escape (she and the Escape stayed, I flew home). That car was stuffed to the ceiling with the back seat folded down, but everything fit. We put her bedding and her 7 dozen t-shirts and other assorted clothing into space bags. We did Site-to-Store at Walmart for her mattress topper and we bought large plastic drawers, a large floor lamp for the common area, a television and a printer in Tuscaloosa. We did have a folding bookshelf, a fan, a complete tool box, a couple Sterilite three drawer desktop units filled with school supplies and toiletries, a video gaming system with games, a box of DVDs, a complete first aid kit, her first semester books (which we’d bought online) and a set of golf clubs in there, though.</p>

<p>Here is UPDATED LIST !!!</p>

<p>Comprehensive list for Ridgecrest Suite GIRL w/Recruitment (v2.0)</p>

<p>CLOTHING
Umbrella
Rain parka
Rain hat
Rain boots
Backpack and rain cover
Cardigan
Hoodie
Jacket
Game day dresses
Formal gown
White dress
LBD (little black dress)
2 sundresses
2 “reception” dresses
Preference dress (cocktail/no sequins or beading)
Modest dress shorts
Neon sneakers
flats
Camis
Wedges
Heels
Swim suit
Nike tempos
BAMA jersey
Leggings
Strapless bra (nude and black)
Sticky bra
Racerback bras
Tights
Undies
Spanx for modesty
Sandals
Cross-body purse
Formal clutch
Carry-all purse
Beach bag
Low socks
Boot socks
Knew high socks
Tee shirts
Casual tops
Skirts
Jeans
Dress pants
Business suit
Sports jacket
Shrug
Cowboy boots
Belts
Scarves
Gloves
Jewelry (pearls, solitaire earrings, watch, necklaces, pins)
Sweaters
Gym clothes
Sports bra
Pjs
Dress coat
Hose
Flip flops
Cover-up
Sunglasses</p>

<p>BEDROOM
Outlet multipliers
Surge protectors
Nightlight
Lamp
Door alarm
Safe
Drawers under bed
Fan
Vaporizer
White noise machine
Alarm clocky
NOAA weather radio
Hangers
Laundry bag
Full length mirror
Blackout curtains/rod
Decorative curtains/rod
Underbed curtain/skirt
Mattress mite bag
Mattress pad
Twin XL Sheets
Duvet and cover (or bedspread)
Coverlet
Afghan/fleece throw
Pillow(s)
Pillow cases/shams
Rug
Trash can and bags
Headphones
Copies of medical insurance card, drivers license, passport, bank account info.
Pre-loaded gift card for emergency use
List of emergency contacts and parent-proxy adults
Check book and extra checks
Debit card and money
ACT Card
Personal property policy
Keychain for room and suite keys
Flashlight/emergency charger
Prescription medications
Prescription glasses
Cell phone and cables
Weekender suitcase
Gym bag
Costume pieces and theatrical makeup (Halloween outfit, Masquerade Mask, Quidditch Outfit, Hawaiian Shirt/skirt, holiday d</p>

<p>Add “wrinkle release” to laundry items…</p>

<p>We’ve started using those smelly pellets that you add to the wash - they are a little expensive ($9 per bottle), but they make all the clothes smell so nice. I tied some up in a tulle sachet and put them in our drawers: yummy! Girls might like scented drawer liners, too?</p>

<p>My wife and I often stated that the only thing we were missing was a daughter ( we have 2 boys). After reading this thread and that monster list I whole heartedly retract my part of that conversation. Lol</p>

<p>May a wonderful Daughter-in-Law come your way when the time is right…complete with a full closet of her own!!!</p>

<p>TxArchitect,
We welcome a Daughter in law when the time comes ( wow would that girl be spoiled by my DW who desperately wants a girl to share all her jewelry) but not too soon, my boys are only 21 and 17. That closet would be in her own house or her parents. Lol</p>

<p>TXA, light bulbs</p>

<p>Forgot those ourselves. Brought the lamps but no bulbs.</p>