ComputerScience/ComputerEngineering...big difference?

<p>I heard that Purdue's computer engineering program was like 10th in the nation...i also heard their computer science program was well...not. Is this the case? and if it is how can this be? thanks</p>

<p>
[quote]

Undergraduate engineering specialties:
Computer Engineering
(At schools whose highest degree is a doctorate)
Methodology
1 Massachusetts Inst. of Technology
2 Carnegie Mellon University (PA)
2 Stanford University (CA)
4 University of California–Berkeley *
5 U. of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign *
6 Georgia Institute of Technology *
7 University of Michigan–Ann Arbor *
8 Cornell University (NY)
8 University of Texas–Austin *
10 California Institute of Technology
11 Purdue Univ.–West Lafayette (IN)*
12 University of Washington *
13 Princeton University (NJ)
14 Univ. of Wisconsin–Madison *
15 Univ. of California–Los Angeles *
16 Northwestern University (IL)
16 Rice University (TX)
18 Univ. of California–San Diego *
18 Univ. of Southern California
20 Univ. of Maryland–College Park *

[/quote]

It looks like Purdue's CompE is ranked 11th, but it's still very good. CS and CompE are different, maybe that's why CS can not rank so high.</p>

<p>Purdue computer science is also probably top 20 and a very good program, but I don't think I've seen the listings myself. </p>

<p>There quite a bit of difference between computer science and computer engineering; the latter is closer is electrical engineering than computer science as far as the classes you take go.</p>

<p>Going into computer science you'll deal more with higher-level programming, and it takes a highly theoretical standpoint in some cases. There are also a variety of little "subcategories" if you will. For example, someone who studies programming language theory would be well-versed in the design and implementation of a new programming language. You might do computer programming in which you apply the ideas behind the languages to solve a problem. There are a multitude of other topics as well, and Googling as well as looking at course listings can help them become clear.</p>

<p>Computer engineering takes a more physical, hardware approach. Getting a degree in CompE means that you might be a microarchitect for a new processor. You deal with VLSI, ASIC, circuit design, etc. It covers topics from both EE and CS, and is my intended major at this point.</p>

<p>very informative agent thanks for clearing that up, yeah computer science is definitely my niche. btw lil_killer i heard from someone and they cited that purdue compE was ranked #11 and their CompSci is ranked in the top 20. stop being bias against a school that rejected you</p>

<p>Gourman Report computer science undergrad rankings</p>

<p>MIT
Carnegie Mellon
UC Berkeley
Cornell
U Illinios UC
UCLA
Yale
Caltech
U Texas Austin
U Wisconsin Madison
U Maryland CP
Princeton
U Washington
USC
SUNY Stony Brook
Brown
Georgia Tech
U Penn
U Rochester
NYU
U Minnesota
U Utah
Columbia
Ohio State
Rice
Duke
Northwestern
SUNY Buffalo
U Pittsburgh
UC Irvine
UC San Diego
U Mass Amherst
Rutgers NB
Indiana U Bloomington
Penn State UP
UC Santa Barbara
Syracuse
Iowa St
RPI
UVA
U Michigan AA
U Iowa
U Conn
Southern Methodist
US Naval Acad
US Military Acad
U Houston
U Kansas
Washington U St Louis
Mich St
Stevens Inst
Case Western
Texas A&M
U Oklahoma
Kansas State
Vanderbilt
Washington State</p>

<p>From <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/256298-where-can-i-find-rankings.html?highlight=gourman+computer+science#post3128350%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/256298-where-can-i-find-rankings.html?highlight=gourman+computer+science#post3128350&lt;/a> post number 2</p>

<p>
[quote]
btw lil_killer i heard from someone and they cited that purdue compE was ranked #11 and their CompSci is ranked in the top 20. stop being bias against a school that rejected you

[/quote]

I wasn't being biased. I SAID Purdue's CompE was ranked #11. That was the whole point of my first post. I quoted the list there and made it bold too. I also said it was very good (in that post).</p>

<p>Well Seiken provided the list of the top 57 universities in CS, and I don't see Purdue there. I will let you draw your own conclusions.</p>

<p>this list is interesting however a lot of these schools have no research opportunities - purdue's graduate school for comp sci is ranked extremely high so the research opportunities i believe would outweigh its ranking which Im not even sure of the methodology. a large aspect i would expect is that a majority of Purdue's students flunk out of CompSci/Engineering - and such a low retention would severely hurt their rank. however succeeding for me will not be an issue</p>

<p>NRC Rankings for graduate school:
NRC</a> Rankings in Computer Science</p>

<p>"a large aspect i would expect is that a majority of Purdue's students flunk out of CompSci/Engineering - and such a low retention would severely hurt their rank."
-Simple question: If flunking out is such an issue with the computer science ranking, then why is the engineering ranking able to stay relatively high?
-Also, do you have any proof that CS flunk out rates are on par with engineering? (is it really a "majority," or even high?)</p>

<p>Finally, and most importantly: what is the origin of the 573 at the end of your name?</p>

<p>honestly...Purdue's reputation as an "engineering college" draws some of the top students into their computer engineering program. Many that have less faith in their grades end up in computer science (either from dropping out of the engineering college or from enrolling into the college of science). Both majors consist of many weeder classes that as said before, flunks out, not a majority, but a good portion of the less genius students. With most of the capable students already into the engineering college, computer engineering earns itself a great reputation, whereas computer science does not. Additionally, a huge portion of purdue's budget goes into the engineering college (computer engineering included) and less of the money goes into computer science. Thus, more research goes through the computer engineering field (higher level programming and a few other research projects go through computer science). If you believe you can succeed at computer engineering and compete with some of the nation's best, go for it, but be prepared for a rough ride.</p>

<p>for research information:
Department</a> of Computer Science: Research Areas
<a href="https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECE/Research/Areas%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECE/Research/Areas&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>also, what agent says is correct. Computer engineering deals with similar yet different concepts as computer science. </p>

<p>For reference, im not saying that computer science is bad at purdue. With a lot of capable students now taking computer science at purdue, it is currently becoming a stronger major within the purdue community. However, because purdue has this strong desire to stay known as a reputable engineering college, the amount of research done in through computer engineering is far greater than that of computer science.</p>

<p>If your into computer science and not computer engineering, I would highly advise taking computer science. If you do not like weeder courses, perhaps try another college because thats all purdue's computer science major requires.</p>

<p>As for retention rates, I don't believe ranking people would give purdue a detrimental ranking simply because purdue attempts to keep the very best in some of the harder programs. Last time i heard, retention rates at purdue were pretty high.</p>

<p>Assessment</a> of the impact of freshman engineering course | Journal of Engineering Education | Find Articles at BNET
^check out this site and see for yourself retention/weeding courses in engineering</p>

<p>It is in my estimation (possibly wrong) that retention in computer science is probably around the same as engineering, there is probably a lot of retention not related to the difficulty of the subject (engineers think computer science is the same, end up transfering out to another college, people find subject different than what they assumed.. etc) </p>

<p>^all probablies because im not too sure about retention at purdue cs</p>

<p>wow j89, thanks for the amazing info, now based on what you said, would you say I should still apply to the Computer Science program at Purdue - or should I apply to another university that has better undergrad cs opportunities? aka - what school should i apply to instead? or is it a good choice in your opinion</p>

<p>Apply to Purdue and other schools. Purdue has a pretty good CS program, though other schools can easily be seen as having a more "invigorating" cs program. Purdue is also decently easy to gain admission into so it may/can be used as a match or safety depending on your stats.</p>

<p>what are some of the schools that you would suggest? yeah purdue is like a match for me</p>

<p>I don't really know your stats or anything so I can't give too great of suggestions. Wisconsin, Washington, UCLA, Maryland, texas are all known to have a pretty good CS without a need for "crazy" statistics to get admitted to (such as stanford or mit). Also in that group can be UIUC, michigan, UNC. Thats really all that are better than purdue but not ivy league ranked or w.e</p>

<p>ok i just checked your stats profile and you seem to be a good candidate for wisconsin, washington, texas, uiuc, unc and perhaps a reach to ucla, maryland, michigan</p>

<p>*i should mention, Texas at Austin, and Maryland college park, and Washington Seattle for the colleges listed above... you never know when someone may misread it</p>

<ul>
<li>Indiana U Blooming

<ul>
<li>Purdue U</li>
<li>U Arizona</li>
<li>U Kansas</li>
<li>U Maryland Coll Park</li>
<li>U Mass Amherst</li>
<li>U Minn Twin Cities</li>
<li>U Washington</li>
<li>U Wis Madison
j89, this is my current list .. do you think its good (with safeties/matches/reaches) etc..</li>
</ul></li>
</ul>

<p>yeah definitely, thats not a bad list at all. Most of your colleges seem like matches though, which is a good thing. I would suggest applying to a school in the california system (because you are a california resident). Davis, Irvine, and Riverside all seem like good schools to use as a safety for they are going to be cheap as an instate student. But if you have the money, and would like to go to an OOS school, you'll defnitely get into one of the schools on your current list, given your great Extra curriculars.</p>