Congratulations to all '19ers who got accepted, and a word of advice to our '19 cadets

<p>Hey everyone, </p>

<p>As I've just found out, many people are getting their acceptance letters right now. It's a super exciting time, I remember my acceptance back in 12/12/12 , as well as my Cadet acceptance into the Corps of Cadets. </p>

<p>I'd like to set this little forum up for some of the few, (if any) cadets who applied for early and got accepted and are going to go for it. Do you guys have any questions at all? Feel free to drop a question about the Corps.
But the biggest advice for you guys? </p>

<ul>
<li><p>Don't let senioritis slam you. Yeah, you got in, but that doesn't mean you should flick the switch into "party hard" mode, you have to buckle down. Get those books down, get your words on paper, and get your job going. The Corps is demanding, and having a good head start, good habits, and such, will make or break you. Especially with the demands of Freshman year, it's a huge time, take advantage of your high school to push on. </p></li>
<li><p>Hit your PT hard. For you JROTC guys this shouldn't be a problem, but remember what the Corps is, and where we are. We raise expectations beyond normal ROTCs in colleges, and we're still a top tier. This summer, we've had 4 out of the 376 USMC ROTC candidates not only successfully commission, but also are record holders, and will be in the books for some of the highest grades in the entire nation in Physical fitness scores, combat readiness, and military science, in existence. We've taken home top marks with some of the best to be produced. There's gonna be a lot of PT, and it's your job not just to be an academic "stud" but also a PT "stud". </p></li>
</ul>

<p>Oh, and just random questions in general if you guys are committed into VTech, throw them my way. I may not know how all the dorms are, but I can definitely give a bit into how the campus life runs, downtown, and such. </p>

<p>Respectfully,
VTechman17</p>

<ul>
<li>Lima Company, 2017<br></li>
</ul>

<p>Hi! I got accepted early decision to VT for 2019 (I can’t wait! So excited!) I was wondering if there was anything you thought was especially helpful or you wish you had brought with you to school? Like I saw that there were tide to go on the suggested list-how helpful were they? Thanks! </p>

<p>Honestly, useless. Tide-to-Go never seemed to work for me to get something spotless. Yeah, they’ll work fading out, but honestly, they suck.</p>

<p>If you want something spotless, for example, you have a white shirt, (for cadets, the white shirt uniform, white dress pants, and in the spring semester for military ball the mess dress), and you get a stain, and you need it good looking for the next day, I’d recommend a Clorox bleach pen. These little pens have jellied bleach, you just dabble on the spot, and it’ll bleach out ANY stains you have, as long as it’s a good coating on the spot.</p>

<p>You want a power strip with tons of sockets. I’m not joking. There’s the one thing that absolutely sucks at it’s university fire code. Fire marshalls, your RA (basically the hall advisor) is not afraid to nail you for stupid bills because of a “fire hazard”, and those few things you think might want to plug in, will pile up.
For example, I plug in my laptop, lamp, speakers, printer, phone charger, and WiFi Router. </p>

<p>That’s already 6 sockets taken up, and if your room doesn’t have AC (the cadet barracks don’t, some don’t), you’ll probably end up if you get the window desk taking up sockets to keep the fans going. So invest in a really good power strip. There’s these 12 socket ones with usb ports that are really slick, so check those out.</p>

<p>A really good alarm clock / long enough extension cord for your phone (if it’s your alarm). Trust me, you’ll need it. </p>

<p>A sturdy watch. You’ll be knocked around a bit just running, mishaps and such. For the Cadets, any MilSpec watches like Casio, G-Shocks, those will go the mile. I’ve been knocked around on rocks, rolled, swam, tackled on the ground, and these watches go forever. Besides, you need a watch to tell time, eh?</p>

<p>A map. Keep a campus map with you always. Because you will get lost. And you will be awkward. Well, now that they’re installing a few maps around campus, shouldn’t be too bad…</p>

<p>When you come to orientation, and get your Student ID at Student offices. Ask them if you can buy a second one. Because you WILL lose one, and if you lose one, you can use your spare, go to student office, and activate your ID. Your ID is literally everything. Your meals, door card, library card, Free-Bus-Rides ID, EVERYTHING. </p>