Consider Baruch for Business

<p>I was just in Manhattan and decided to tour Baruch College. They are part of the City University of N.Y. Altthough they focus on business related subjects, they also have a plethora of liberal arts majors from English to natural science, math etc. </p>

<p>Since weren’t ranked by U.S. News within the top 100 undergraduate business schools; I didn’t expect much.To say that I was surprised by what I saw is an understatement.</p>

<p>First, they have a trading room that gives immediate daily feeds for stock quotes. It is so good and some firms use it for their own offices. It is a remarkable facilty for finance majors and those that want to study stock investing.</p>

<p>Their library was gorgeous and state of the art. It was one of the nicest facilities that I have seen, and I have seen many university libraries. It was full of computers for students to find almost anything. It also had a number of study rooms and study facilities.</p>

<p>Baruch also has a state of the art gym facility for workouts that make most gyms pale by comparison. Not to be outdone, all classrooms have been modernized with wireless connections, and state of the art lecturing facilities. </p>

<p>Being in Manhattan also has a big advantage. They are able to attract a number of top quality faculty that work in NY and have been partners or officers of large firms. Moreover, they have a HUGE alumni base thoughout the US that helps place their students. Moreover, many of their graduate programs are top ranked including accounting, quantitative finance, real estate, taxation and much more. They even have a strong enterpreneural program that places students with potential ideas with sponsors for funding. </p>

<p>In addition, they have hundreds of clubs and organizations. If you can’t find a club that interests you, you are aren’t looking.</p>

<p>However, the really remarkable thing about Baruch is the tuition. They charge, and I hope you are sitting down while reading this, $5,100 per Year for New York residents! This isn’t $5,100 per semester but is per year. Read this again. This unbelievable tuition applies to any New York Resident. Moreover, even if you are out of state, you still get an unbeatable deal of only about $13,000 per year! If this doesn’t beef up your wallet enough over anywhere else, they have an honors program that offers FREE tuition, plus a computer , plus expenses for study abroad. Move over NYU and even Penn. This is one amazing deal.</p>

<p>They also have a performing arts center that they rent out to performing companies and allow students to attend for a faction of the price charged to the public. Many Baruch students also perform in plays sponsorted by the performing arts society of Baruch.</p>

<p>They also have a huge number of firms that recruit there too that would make even NYU blush. This maybe the best deal for the money anywhere in the country.</p>

<p>There is,however, one drawback. Baruch will not provide the stereotypical college experience. There is no campus per se, although Manhattan can be considered your campus. There are few dorms. Most students commute by getting appartments in either Manhattan or in other parts of New York City. This isn’t a bad commute since most people can take a train ride that leave student within a block or two from Baruch. However, living in New York isn’t cheap. A one bedroom appartment can easily run $1,100- $1400 or more per month. Many students live in Brooklyn which can be significantly cheaper and only result in about a 20 minute commute.</p>

<p>Admission: Surprisingly, it isn’t that difficult to get into Baruch. You can get in with about 3.2+ GPA and about 1170-1200 or so on the SAT ( Math and CR). The honors college is much tougher requiring at least 100-150 more points on the SAT.</p>

<p>Bottom line: forget NYU, Notre Dame, USC and many other expensive schools. Really consider Baruch in lieu of incurring thousands of dollars of debt attending an expensive school.</p>

<p>There were some typos in my posting. I should have said,“Since it wasn’t ranked by U.S. News within the top 100 undergraduate business schools; I didn’t expect much.To say that I was surprised by what I saw is an understatement.”</p>

<p>I should have also said,“First, they have a trading room that gives immediate daily feeds for stock quotes. It is so good that some firms use it for their own offices. It is a remarkable facilty for finance majors and those that want to study stock investing”</p>

<p>Taxguy, interesting that you would post this, because I’ve been thinking about Baruch and have a question for you in regards to this. I am an accounting major at the University of Central Florida right now. I plan to finish my four year degree here, although I would like to go to Baruch for my MSA. From what I understand, you are supposed to intern between your senior year of undergrad and your masters program. This would mean I’d intern in FL as opposed to NY. </p>

<p>Is it possible to intern in FL after my four year degree is completed, then go to Baruch, and have the option to get a full time offer from either an FL firm or a NY firm? Or am I sort of “locked in” to the firm I intern at in FL? Thanks.</p>

<p>Domrom1, If your grades are good and you interview well, you can get offers from anywhere. Baruch is VERY well known for accounting and has well placed alumni all over the US. I graduated from there about 40+ years ago and got a job in Florida.</p>

<p>Taxguy, Baruch is actually has a decent rating. It also has many experienced business professors. Personally, I had professors who were a former: CFO of a Fortune 100, a VP of a BB, a managing director of a BB, a partner at a big 4, and I still have to face many others.<br>
Here is some rankings info:</p>

<p>“In America’s Best Colleges 2012, Baruch was ranked #3 public, and 36th Master’s University in by U.S. News & World Report.[66]
Baruch tied at #2 with Harvard University[67] for the “Number of Graduates in 100 Most Influential People in Accounting Worldwide.” and ranked #1 nationwide for people with Advanced Degrees who pass the CPA exam.
Baruch’s MBA Program was ranked #1 in MBA With Most Financial Value at Graduation (2010) by US News & World Report[68]
The undergraduate business program was ranked #2 in New York-New Jersey area, and #33 nationally. (U.S. News & World Report, “America’s Top Colleges 2009”)
For 9 years, Baruch has topped the list of Diverse Student Body in the United States (U.S. News & World Report, “America’s Top Colleges 2008”)
Baruch is among the Top 10% of U.S. colleges according to The Princeton Review, which selected the College for inclusion in “The Best 368 Colleges: 2009 Edition.” It is also labeled as one of the nation’s best value undergraduate institutions in 2008, and in 2009 “Best Graduate Schools” and “Best Business Schools” listings.[69]
Baruch’s Part-Time MBA is ranked #17 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report (“America’s Best Graduate Schools 2007”), making it #2 in New York City. The Full-Time MBA was ranked in the Top 3 of New York programs. Both were the only ranked public programs in New York State.
Baruch was ranked #22 in Top 25 Entrepreneurial Colleges by Entrepreneur and The Princeton Review.[70]
Baruch’s School of Public Affairs is ranked in the Top 20 in the nation for its Master of Public Administration program by U.S. News & World Report (2006).
In rankings produced by Arizona State University and the University of Texas at Dallas, based on research and publications done by faculty at each school, Baruch achieved 45th and 43rd respectively.”</p>

<p>Taxguy, you were right. I only now understand that Baruch is actually better than NYU in terms of an accounting degree overall, and I’m glad that I did not choose NYU instead. I see many students graduating from Baruch debt free, and with a job offer in their hands :)</p>

<p>domrom1,</p>

<p>To get into a MS program, you just need to have at least a 3.2 GPA with a GMAT score of 550 , along with recommendations, and some internship experience. </p>

<p>“From what I understand, you are supposed to intern between your senior year of undergrad and your masters program.”</p>

<p>This is not a requirement, but the way the big 4 and other public accounting companies offer internships at Baruch. They offer internships before students enter their 5th year.</p>

<p>toshtimirov notes,“I only now understand that Baruch is actually better than NYU in terms of an accounting degree overall”</p>

<p>Response: Actually, I think Baruch would be a better choice than NYU for a number of business majors including finance. In fact, for the money, I think that Baruch and other CUNY schools are a MUCH better alternative than that of NYU, USC, Notre Dame etc. </p>

<p>As far as I am concerned: Baruch is one of the most underrrated steals around for colleges both from a financial perspective as well as from an admission’s prospective. Students just need to see if living in Manhattan would be fit for them.</p>

<p>Thanks to both taxguy and tosh for your information and responses. Considering I’m doing my four year degree in FL, I will (if all goes as planned) be interning there as well. My concern is, assuming I do intern at an FL big 4 firm, and assuming I attend Baruch for my MSA, do I then have the option to do either of these?:</p>

<p>A) Return to FL for a full time offer after the the MSA at Baruch, more than likely at the firm I interned with</p>

<p>B) Or try for a full time offer in NY after the MSA at Baruch, even though I interned in FL.</p>

<p>I guess I’m a little ignorant to the finer details of the recruitment process, and want to know if both these options would be available to me (assuming I’m a competent candidate, of course) after attending undergrad in FL, interning there, and then going to Baruch for an MSA.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info taxguy. Glad to read this. Looks like I’ll be heading to Baruch for my MSA in the fall and am looking forward to it immensely.</p>

<p>Baruch is an excellent school and definitely a steal BUT …</p>

<p>Before choosing a business school, I would do some heavy research on graduation placement into top firms - this, in my opinion, is probably one of the best indicators of how highly regarded a bschool is. There are a couple of good ways to go about this -</p>

<p>(1) Many of the best schools publish this information - if they don’t at least publish some statistics in regards to employment rate and who the “top hirers” are, consider it a red flag. </p>

<p>(2) Do a linkedin search of the program and see where some of the young graduates ended up - what entry level positions did they attain, etc. </p>

<p>(3) Contact a current student at the school (via facebook or linkedin) and introduce yourself as a prospective student and ask them to copy and paste their career services page and show you some of the companies that perform OCR. This is also a great indicator of the reputation of the bschool</p>

<p>Thanks taxguy. Really appreciate all the information. I have decided on going to Baruch Macaulay Honors program in the fall </p>

<p>Sent from my LG-P999 using CC</p>

<p>Remember one thing about Baruch: Although I believe it is a steal for a quality college education, it does take a special person to appreicate it. You won’t get the normal college experience. There is no campus per se. You are basically attending school in Manhattan that has its pros and cons. You need to be a driven, mature kid to appreciate Baruch and to handle attending school in Manhattan.</p>

<p>Achievegas, congrats. Macaulay is hard to get into.</p>

<p>Thanks taxguy. And i sure will appreciate it. I am pretty mature and focused on my goal so that won’t be hard. Dorming was never really an option for me due to the money so that doesn’t worry me. Plus I’m a NYC kid from Queens so Manhattan is nothing new</p>

<p>Sent from my LG-P999 using CC</p>

<p>Taxman</p>

<p>Thank you for setting up this thread. I have been researching business schools for the past six months with my son and we keep comparing them to the excellent value the Baruch offers.</p>

<p>These are the schools we have visited include: NYU, BU, UCONN, Fordham, Babson, Penn State, Amherst, Albany, Binghampton. We have three more to on the list that are pending visits; Villanova, UDelaware and UMaryland.</p>

<p>We compiled a list of highly rated undergraduate schools that offer a focus in Business, offer MBA programs and the tuition is relatively lower than its peers. We have several reach schools and schools that have a higher acceptance rate. My son has a 3.7 gpa, a 1950 combined sat with an emphasis on math total sat of 680.</p>

<p>Baruch was one of the first schools we visited. The campus was updated, excellent library, trading room, great gym. Baruch is considered a vertical campus…high rise building in NYC. Our tour guides were bright, focused students who had multiple internship opportunities and spoke highly of the current experience as a student. The major drawback was the dorms. No true college experience to create a sense of independence. The faculty and students spoke highly of the opportunities available to the students, a large network of alumni, significant endowments, the McCauley honors program. Too good to be true.</p>

<p>After visiting many of the other schools with beautiful campuses and excellent programs we would always compare $58000 to $5800. Is it worth the money? Is the education that much different? </p>

<p>I have the opportunity who speak to a recent graduate a person that I mentor and works at my company. I needed to know his true experience. This person I will call WB is a current graduate student. He explained his experience commuting from Long Island and working during school. His parents were divorcees and could not help pay tuition. His dreams of a top school were out of his reach. Today at 26 he makes over $100k per year and his education at Baruch paramount to his success. One thing he stressed Baruch gives you all the tools you need… You… need to take all that it offers. He created a flexible schedule that allowed him to work a part time job, and commute. He was offered a McCauley honors scholarship and opted out so he could work. The honors program requires a set schedule and a 3.5 gpa minimum.</p>

<p>We visited NYU and loved it. The school is an excellent choice for any student but is it worth ten times the cost of Baruch? </p>

<p>Baruch does offer a dorm system which is approximately $12000 per year …so imagine living and studying in NYC at a third of the cost of NYU.</p>

<p>One thing to remember… NYC is your campus. Yankees, Broadway, Wall Street, Times Square…</p>

<p>Hope this helps. </p>

<p>ag</p>

<p>Another thing to add Baruch is among the top schools in the country which are AACSB certified a significant distinction for business schools. It was rated highly by Princeton Reviews Top 376 schools. It’s in the Top 100 US MBA programs by Poets and Quants. The list goes on and on.</p>

<p>Collegepiggybank, I fully agree that Baruch is a hidden gem among schools for business oriented majors. I frankly can’t understand why it isn’t as hard to get into as NYU or even some ivys.</p>

<p>CollegePiggybank, there is NO WAY that NYU is worth ten times the tuition of Baruch for business. NO way! I am not even sure if it is worth double. Think about it. You are paying $5,100 per year as a NY resident. For four years, that is a bit over $20,000. Compare this to $41,000+ per year. Thus, over four years you will be spending $164,000 at NYU on tuition and fees vs. $20,000 for Baruch. This doesn’t even take into account the year cost of living increases which will be much higher at NYU.</p>

<p>Hello,
How is Baruch for International Business? I’m currently attending a CC in New Jersey and I get my degree this upcoming Fall. Since Rutgers Business New Brunswick doesn’t take Spring Transfers (my 1st choice school), I was going to take the Spring off and get a job to cover some of the expense. Rutgers is a great school but it is a lot more expensive than Baruch. Considering living expense of NYC, I’d be saving my parents about $10,000 if I went to Baruch. I’m doing great at my CC and I truly think college is what you put into it, so I think Zicklin School of Business is a great match for me. If you have any info for transfer students, that would be great too. Thank you!</p>

<p>NY is an international city. Baruch, being in Manhattan, is fine for international business. It is better than Rutgers in my opinion. Saving 10K a year isn’t too shabby too.</p>