Cool speakers and audio stuff

Moderator Note: This topic is split from another thread.

I still have my Bose speakers (standing about 3 ft tall, wood cabinet - forget the model) from 1988. They still work great and serve double time as lamp stands. When we downsize I guess I’ll give them away but can’t imagine anyone wanting big stuff like that today.

3 Likes

Are they towers or the ones shaped like home plates with like six small speakers in each). On pedestals.

Look in the back or bottom, there will be a be a model number. Please DM with it.

I have re-coned old speakers (I first did my set of 1989 Advents) and was a learning experience!)

Anyways - vintage Bose are not cheap for parts, but I love their sound.

Ha, back in the day I had the Bose 901s. They had 6 speakers in front (4” I think) on chrome base.

Actually 8 per speaker - makes doing work on them pretty darned pricey LOL. I’ve never seen chrome stands! That might have been a really rare option.

Yep, 8. Came with a small equalizer if I recall.

The tag says 10.2 TM and then some serial numbers so I assume the model is 10.2. I vaguely recall them being 500 series or something like that but I guess not. Definitely not the 940 (or 9 something series) on the pedestal. These are speakers built into a standing cabinet (tall but thin. I would describe it as a tower about 3 feet tall with the base being a square. the first 2 feet are wood cabinetry and the top foot is the actual speaker. Have a Scandinavian Design look circa 1980)

I purchased my Klipsch Kg4s in 1986. I power them with an NAD 3020A integrated amplifier. I still think the combination sounds tremendous. You can still find them on ebay and other sites and for the most part they run pretty close to what they cost new. You can still get parts for them and even upgrades. The NAD is pretty much a classic. They sold a lot of them and they can still be found too. Both are around 35 years old and I wouldn’t be surprise if they (especially the speakers) outlast me.

There are some for sale on ebay. They seem to run $450 to $650. I wasn’t familiar with them but they do seem to have value. You just have to find the right people who might be interested.

I am also a fan of NAD equipment. Very clean sound. I know some people like the musicality of tubes and vinyl, but my preference is to have the signal coming in undistorted (high quality digital, high quality solid state), and then have my speakers give me the sound preference I want.

My peak audio equipment stage was with a Denon DCD-1500 directly feeding into a NAD 2600A amplifier with adjustable gain inputs (no pre-amp) and driving Kef 104/2 Reference speakers. Each was well known at the time, and the sound was glorious.

1 Like

I have an NAD and KEF 102s…sitting in my garage. :confused: Not wife decor compliant. :cold_sweat:

Maybe something like the Syng Cell will get spousal approval.

1 Like

I still use the Klipsch Forte speakers I bought in the late 80’s in our media room. My S listens to music all the time but until now his listening was limited to some really good headphones (Sennheiser 800 HD) and a tube based headphone amp. Now, as he prepares to return to the Bay Area for work, I’ve had the fun of going out with him as he purchases some really great stereo gear; Mcintosh pre-amp (tubes), and Mcintosh 300W amp, and a pair of beautiful Sonus Faber speakers. For now he’ll be streaming lossless from Tidal, but I see some vinyl in his future.

1 Like

My best setup was NHT 2.5i’s with an Acurus DIA 100 integrated. Alas when the spousal unit heard that I was willing to give it up, I’ve never been able to reclaim the space. I’ve pretty much been relegated to HiFiMan cans. Jealous of your son’s new gear. :smiley:

When they were developing the Forte’s they were considering calling them Kg5s. They are a fusion of the Klipsch Heresy speaker with a larger version of the passive radiator from the Kg4s. The Heresy was originally developed as a center channel speaker to go with Klipsch larger speakers. They were very efficient and detailed but lacked much in the bottom end. Fortes are still incredibly efficient offer a nice midrange but have a much lower and smoother bottom end. I would love to use the excuse that my wife wouldn’t let me have them due to size (true but irrelevant) but the real reason is that they were simply to rich for my budget at the time. They still sell a series IV of the Fortes but they are now over $4500 a pair. I’m not familiar with the Sonus Faber speakers I’ll have to check and see if our local audio stores sell them just to hear them. Enjoy.