Core engineering curriculum question

Hello!

I was taking a look at the UA core engineering curriculum requirements and chemE curriculum. I feel a bit confused with concerns to the supposed (6) credit hour requirement in the core engineering curriculum that I cannot seem to find anywhere in the chemE curriculum. Here is what I could find on the core engineering curriculum:

“The College of Engineering core curriculum requires a minimum of: nine hours of HU, L, or FA courses; nine hours of HI or SB courses; six hours of FC courses; six hours of W courses (300- and 400-level ECE courses); 12 hours of N courses (eight hours of calculus-based physics); 12 hours of MA courses (MATH 125 Calculus I or higher); and —>>>six hours of C or FL courses<<<----.”

However on the chemE curriculum website:
http://courseleaf.ua.edu/engineering/chemicalbiologicalengineering/#chembioengecurriculumtext

Nowhere does it explicitly mention foreign language/computer courses in addition to the stated 9 hours of HU/L/FA courses and 9 hours of HI/SB courses needed to graduate. Is this an error on UA’s part (that the real number of credit hours for chemE is not 127 but really 133) or that the C/FL courses are not required anymore???

In addition the 6 hour requirement does not show up on DegreeWorks for me as chemE but if I did “what if” for mechE I find the requirement there. I would just like info please!

Any insight on this discrepancy will be appreciated. I am trying to set up a 4 year plan for Bama Bound. Thank you and Roll Tide :slight_smile:

Did you take a foreign language in high school? If so, consider taking the CLEP test for that language. A passing score will satisfy the FL requirement. The CLEP test is not that difficult.

http://courseleaf.ua.edu/introduction/academicpolicies/creditbyexamination/#collegelevelexaminationprogramcleptext

Did you take a look at the “New Format Flowchart”? It outlines each class you will need to take by semester.

“Six semester hours in ONE of the following” Computer or FL

http://che.eng.ua.edu/files/2011/08/ChBE-Flow-Chart-New-Style-January-2016.pdf

This is what I am talking about @2015pop this is the new format flowchart but nowhere does it detail foreign language or computer classes as a requirement. Yet it’s still there in the engineering core curriculum. I am so confused.

@Class2012Mom I only took up to Spanish III in high school and to be perfectly honest I really do not want to take more foreign language in college…I know the importance of a second language but I hate myself for my difficulty to learn language skills. I grew up with a huge speech impediment for English so my parents put their focus on me being able to speak and learn English to the best of my ability. Learning Spanish was hell when I struggled with my first language alone…my own hispanic mother could not speak spanish around me as a kid because I struggled so much with English alone. It was that bad…anyways if I absolutely must I rather take the computer courses if necessary. My English is a lot better but I still feel like learning Spanish would not be as beneficial as for some… just being honest :slight_smile:

In the ChemE flow chart it list those requirements as HU/L/FA no C. I would go with the 2016 ChemE flow chart.

@2015pop the engineering core curriculum said that the 6 hours of FL/C was in ADDITION to the HU/L/FA requirements. That is what has me so confused. it even said that you can’t have both FL/C and HU/L/FA designation to complete gen eds for a particular course. It’s one or the other…that is what has me so confused if they made an error in not updating their engineering core curriculum…I can’t find their distinction anywhere except in DegreeWorks.

@atomicPACMAN07 Looking at the below, I think a FL can be counted toward the HU requirement thus needing only 127 credits to graduate.

" 6.Either six hours of foreign language (FL) or computer (C) are required in addition to the humanities requirement. FL courses can count as HU credit if six hours of C courses are earned."

The suggestion by @Class2012Mom to take the CLEP is good because then you meet the requirement of a sequence, FL requirement, and two humanities courses. You get 8 credits if you score 48 or better on Spanish.

http://courseleaf.ua.edu/introduction/academicpolicies/corecurriculumgeneraleducationrequirements/

The 2016 flowchart was just put out this month. That’s why I say go with that. The gen Ed curriculum has been out much longer. Things change and do take a while to filter all the way through. I will check my sons DegreeWorks as well.

Got it! ChemE 255 and 324 complete the C requirement. whew

@CyclonesGrad The FL/C requirement is in addition to the 9 hours of HU/L/FA stated in the link you gave. That is what has me so confused. The extra 6 hours required is no where to be found on any flowchart for engineering or for chemE degreeworks worksheets.

I will consider CLEPing spanish if I can. I just have no idea how CLEP works or how hard it is to get a score of 48 for passing out of Spanish. My last Spanish class was in Sophomore year of high school so it’s been 3 years…haha

^^^^ @2015pop thank you so much for that! I knew they had to hid it in there somewhere haha I guess what I could do then is consider cleping for the HU courses. I just need more info on CLEP that’s all.

@atomicPACMAN07 I think the FL requirement is not in addition to HU/L/FA. I think it is part of the HU component If you do L/FA, then it would be in addition. If you do C, then it is in addition.

It says FL can be counted as both FL and HU. Meets both requirements simultaneously.

@atomicPACMAN07 I agree with @2015pop that you should go with the flowchart as it was published on 1/8/16.

http://che.eng.ua.edu/files/2011/08/Regualr-ChBE-Flow-Charts-January-2016.pdf

Perfect! Thanks everyone! I just need to look into CLEP now. Hopefully it’s not too late to start studying considering it’s mid February. I have no idea when the test are taken or what to do haha :slight_smile:

You can go on-line and find a local test center. It is a College Board test, I believe. Ours is at the local JC.

The CLEP tests are given every month. We were able to sign up locally on a Saturday. College Board can give you more details. Where did you find the latest Flow Chart? Looking for one for ME. The one we have is 2014 version and I didn’t see anything about FL being a requirement.

@bandmomof3 the flow charts are updated by each department. You may have the most up to date one for ME.
The ChemE site said to look for a new flowchart for months before it made it to their site.

For engineering it’s FL or C (computer) and I believe for most of the (engineering) majors the credits are met with required courses. At least in civil both the computer requirement and intensive writing credits are filled with required courses in the major.

The humanities credits are not filled by the C credits, so the FL language courses can still fill the humanities requirements. The CLEP tests can be a good way to fill them for students who are not interested in taking any additional language courses. You can take a placement test at the school and test into a higher level course, but then you have to complete that course to receive credits for the earlier courses. With the CLEP test you get the credit without taking additional courses.