Corps of Cadets Scholarship

<p>My S was just awarded a Corps scholarship and he didn't apply to the Corps.</p>

<p>Any suggestions what we should do? He was placed in University Honors so we don't want this to mess up him getting Honors housing.</p>

<p>The Corps scholarship was offered- you can simply turn it down on the financial aid portal if you don’t want it. But, how about spending some time with the Corps first? My daughter is in honors and will be in the Corps in the fall- it’s one of the approved Honors housing waivers. Certainly the Corps isn’t for everyone, but “I’ve heard lots of Ags say they wish they had joined the Corps, I’ve never heard anyone say they wish they hadn’t.”</p>

<p>@Whoop86 My S did a spend the night with the Corps junior year and thought it was great, but he has horrible asthma. He and I jogged together every morning for a few months trying to get him ready but running in the humidity just triggered asthma attacks even with the inhaler. Plus he was worried it would take too much time from studying and he needs a 3.0 for engineering, so he made up his mind not to be in it. </p>

<p>But, thanks for letting us know that the Corps gives an Honors housing waiver…makes me feel a little easier.</p>

<p>My S was also offered a Corps Scholarship but did not sign up for the Corps. We called the Corps directly to let them know (thinking they could possibly offer it to someone else) also since the Corp is linked to housing, we wanted to make sure he would not mistakenly be enrolled in the Corps & lose his housing priority. They were very informative & guided me to the correct offices to contact. I think Whoop86 housing waiver comment was that they could opt out of honors housing and be housed in the Corps dorms with the rest of their unit. I would recommend contacting them rather than just declining the scholarship if your son does not intend to join the corps to make sure he gets on the correct lists.</p>

<p>@AGmomx2‌ Thank you. We did call this morning and had them remove him from the list and take away the scholarship. Hate to decline scholarship money but he really can’t be in the Corps.</p>