Could somebody chance me (this is my number 1 school)

<p>Im from Northern Virginia and have a 3.52 with an 1820 SAT (630 CR and 580 M). I have done orchestra, baseball, and some other activities (not too worried about the ec part). I know it is competitve in Northern Virginia but im wondering if I have a chance to get in. Im applying to the school of liberal arts and human sciences. Im aware that VT is very numbers oriented.</p>

<p>I think you will get in. Especially since your not applying to CAUS or Engineering.</p>

<p>Your are right on the edge considering you're from Northern Virginia. Unfortunately, it is easier to get in from other parts of the state and from out of state. Good Luck!</p>

<p>It is the edge for the overall statistics of the school, but the students who do not major in Engineering or wish to attend CAUS tend to apply to UVA rather then Virginia Tech. As a result, the other majors in the school are a bit more lax in terms of overall admittance. You have a high enough GPA, but Virginia Tech is more concerned with having a 3.5 or high GPA then a high SAT score. I think they will get in due to the program they want to get into.</p>

<p>Its interesting to note how northern Virginian students are "discriminated" against in state, because state schools actually have a quota of students they will accept from the region. Yet these schools still tend to claim there is no in state geographical discrimination in place and that a student will have an equal chance no matter where they live in state. Its even been statistically shown that southern Virginian students have an easier chance to be accepted in state because Northern Virginian students statistically are better students with higher scores. However, the quotas are in place because the state schools need to have geographic diversity within its own state which results in a more competitive admissions process for Northern Virginian students. They don't compete with other Virginians, they have to compete with only Northern Virginia to be accepted into the quota.</p>

<p>I hate competing with these northern virginia overachievers. There are 2 people in one of my classes that have already gotten into Yale and another guy got into Duke. I was hoping that I might have a little bit easier chance to get in because of my desired program of study, but ill just have to wait and see I guess. JMU was my second school, and after that, I really don't care what school I go to (in state). I live right next to George Mason and definantly do not plan to go to a college that I could walk to. A JMU rep also told me that they look at my application through the context of my own high school and compare me with other kids at my high school. AGHHHHHH...If I lived in any other state but maybe California or Michigan...</p>

<p><your are="" right="" on="" the="" edge="" considering="" you're="" from="" northern="" virginia.="" unfortunately,="" it="" is="" easier="" to="" get="" in="" other="" parts="" of="" state="" and="" out="" state.="" good="" luck!="">
From out of state too? so, me, with a 3.8 and 1350/1990 should be way over the edge right.....? (but i'm applying engineering....)</your></p>

<p>any way, good luck to OP looks like you got a good shot!
(hope I do too)
P.S. this is my #1 school as well</p>

<p>Esmitty you should not worry at all, you'll be in. Id love to be in your position. Worst case scenario you don't make it to the engineering school but ull still get in to the actual campus. Ahh, the Hokies will have Tyrod Taylor at quarterback for most of my college life if I get accepted, that is exciting stuff.</p>

<p>well i think i have a lot to worry about, idk i hope your right though. But hell ya man, we would have (at least) 3 great years of football.
BTW id love to be in your position - in state.
Also, do you have a legacy at VT.... I do, but im not sure how much that matters.</p>

<p>Kindaslick89: I actually live in blacksburg and go to Blacksburg High and Virginia Tech does this thing called "on-site" applications for us, which means we basically give them our application, they review it, and tell us if we are in or not within a week or two. We got our decisions back about 2 weeks ago and most people who applied on-site got in, including myself. However, there were some surprises. Tech accepted some people who took ridiculously easy courses and had crappy gpas (ex. low 3.0 W, 1600-1700 SAT), while deferred others who had pretty decent grades and scores (ex. 3.5 gpa, 1800ish SAT score). But from having a lot of friends that go to tech right now and knowing their grades, im pretty sure you will get in. </p>

<p>And just a little info: The town and everything is really nice, especially in the fall when football is going on, the atmosphere is electric. I garauntee you that you wont find one person that lives in blacksburg who doesnt have at least one type of maroon and orange virginia tech shirt (I have 5), so i hope you like that blend of color because you will see it all the time, every where, and everyday. The social life is pretty sweet, always stuff to do, especially if you like to drink. People say that Blacksburg is a drinking town with a football problem haha. But yea, overall, I would give the town and college an A-. If i didnt already live in Blacksburg forever, I would love to go here. However.. i do live in blacksburg, so im getting out the first chance i get haha.</p>

<p>Yeh I live like 5 minutes away from George Mason, and I want to get as far away from there as I can. I don't want my father like popping into my dorm...unexpectedly...</p>

<p>Just as a word of warning since you did go into a lot of the positive aspects of Blacksburg, the city is small. It really is what you make of it and really does vary from person to person. In contrast to Northern Virginia where you have a choice between which three or four malls you want to go shop at, Virginia Tech is small to the point you will not have as much town diversity in terms of shopping and food. Virginia Tech however is ranked number one for food in the country.</p>

<p>I'd definitely suggest visiting it because some people love it, some hate it.</p>

<p>The city is pretty small, I'll admit that. There are a few clubs and bars though if that is your thing. There's also a lot of house parties. I will say that there is a lot of diversity in food though. I cannot think of something that is not within walking distance of campus, except maybe a steakhouse, and then there might be one I'm just not thinking of. Theres a lot of fast food, several sub places, a couple great pizza/burger joints, a vegetarian place, an Ethiopian food place, a Greek place, etc. You just have to look for them to find them sometimes. And if you have a car you can go over to Christiansburg and there are all kinds of chain food places.</p>

<p>I'll agree with you on shopping, although the first and main project is going to have a lot of stuff, from basic shopping places to a Wal-mart, against the wishes of the people with signs all around town. Blacksburg is expanding pretty fast.</p>

<p>Are the food places in Blacksburg or Christiansburg? When I was down there I asked a student what was in town and was told there was not much there. In Blacksburg at least I only saw a Wendy's and McDonalds.</p>

<p>There are plenty of nice little food places, not chains, in Blacksburg. Barbecue, greek, nice sandwich places, etc. I was pleasantly surprised because I am picky about food (coming from cosmopolitan Washington DC area). The university is #1 for food in USNews ranking. You can even have lobster!</p>

<p>Yeah, its all there in Blacksburg and its mostly within walking distance of campus. There aren't any Outbacks or other big chains but theres a ton of smaller places. Chinese, greek, subs, a few italian places, a taco place, pretty much everything I can think of. We could really use a good steakhouse though.</p>

<p>Well thats good to know, I would have gone looking for them if I knew they were there. Thanks.</p>

<p>Also like someone said we have the best on campus food in the country. On campus I strongly recommend the sandwich place in Owens and pretty much everything in West End. D2 is ok for an all you can eat buffet.</p>

<p>Off campus places I would recommend checking out... Sub Station II right off of the Corps end of campus is pretty good, and has a lot of different subs. The Cellar is suppose to be really good but I've never had a chance to go there. PK's has great pizza, Mike's has great hamburgers. If you go down South Main street about a mile or so (not quite walking distance but the buses run out there) theres a GREAT mexican place. I think its called "Guatelupes" or something like that, but I'm not sure. It's really good. Theres alsop a vegetarian place, a chinese place, a greek place and a Jimmy Johns near each other right off campus, along with a bunch of other places.</p>

<p>hey hokie365 what class are you in? i use to go to BHS also, but moved to NY last year.</p>

<p>and honestly i wouldn't call b burg a city, it;s more like a medium sized town. there are things to do all the time, a lot of seasonal stuff, international day or week i forgot, and always steppin out in august. but if you don;t might travling, you can drive about 30 miles to Roanoke on the weekends. and they got a bigger mall there...if you like to shop i guess. </p>

<p>just for the record...one of the chinese places is pretty disgusting.</p>

<p>Which chinese place? I always go to the one near the old cinema (Happy Wok I think) and I've always been happy with the food. They don't deliver though.</p>

<p>esmitty01...Tech is very numbers driven; I think you are easily in.
kindaslick89 ....for Virginians Tech does the samething that JMU does; they compare you to your high school applicants. Last year our high school had 150 applicants and Tech accepted 70. Looking at the scattergram the cut off was 1200 (out of 1600) and 3.6 gpa...... good luck you're very close.</p>