Course Registration

<p>Either of those tracks could work…I would probably prefer the business track, as I would assume that requires less advanced math than majoring in math. My dad would probably prefer that I major in math as opposed to being in the business school, but since I have a scholarship and thus he’s not paying my tuition, I don’t think he would try to stop me from making my own choice.</p>

<p>Although I have taken six years of French, three of those were in middle school with awful teachers. Only freshmen and junior year did I have good teachers where I actually learned a lot. And yes, listening has always been difficult for me, so I do sometimes have trouble understanding what teachers are saying. My teacher last year only spoke in French and I usually had some idea what she was saying, but there were times I was lost. “What? We have a quiz today? Oh, I didn’t know because you told us in French!”</p>

<p>LadyDi: </p>

<p>Both GY - 101 and GY - 102 have labs and fulfill the core NS requirement. Profs Jason Senkbeil and Mary Pitts both get good reviews.</p>

<p>Regina:</p>

<p>There are lots of options day & time wise with EC -110 both in the regular and honors versions. You shouldn’t have any trouble fitting one of the sections into your schedule. </p>

<p>lil bro had Paul Pecorino and liked him. William Aldridge also gets pretty decent reviews. </p>

<p>As mom2c and others have said. Don’t overload yourself first semester. Stick to 15 - 16 credits and include a class or two that you know you’ll be able to get an A in without a whole lot of effort.</p>

<p>As far as English Lit profs go the following all get great reviews both from ratemyprof and from people I know. There are a lot of great English profs at UA though. And this list doesn’t come close to naming them all.</p>

<p>Donovan Newell (lil bro had for EN - 101 & 102 and loved him)
Brock Guthrie
Nathan Parker
Kevin Waltman
Brian Oliu</p>

<p>Don’t overload yourself first semester.</p>

<p>I can’t say this enough! </p>

<p>Fall semester will have distractions/adjustments…meeting new friends, adjusting to being away from home, not having parents “nudge” you about various things, and…football season can be distracting…not in a bad way…but the excitement and game days do take some time on Saturdays. </p>

<p>Also, unless your child is a natural early riser, AVOID 8am classes. I know that your child is “used” to getting up early for high school, but college life is different…and kids often go to bed later…they are often up late with friends, roomies, homework, studying, projects, etc. </p>

<p>And, even getting breakfast and coffee in the morning can take more time than it did at home. </p>

<p>Kids are often so excited to “dive right in” to their majors, so they overwhelm themselves and their grades/health suffer. </p>

<p>Balance is the key…some hard classes and some easier/less demanding classes each semester. </p>

<p>And…oh my…classes with labs can take soooo much of your time. Don’t take too many classes with labs for any one semester!</p>

<p>For those who are interested in getting tutoring jobs at the Center for Teaching and Learning…contact Anthony Winston and express interest…and fill out the online app form on the CTL website. And, set up your schedule so that you will have a couple blocks of time to tutor.</p>

<p>Thanks so much to everyone for the advice…I feel a lot better at least having some ideas going into Bama Bound. I’m glad I have options and I don’t feel like there are do-or-die courses I must get into, but at least I won’t be sitting there without a clue what I want to take.</p>

<p>As for not overwhelming myself first semester, this makes a lot of sense. I’m not too worried because I’ve been at boarding school for three years so I’m used to dorm life (all of the distractions of living with in a dorm with 100 people your age) and it’s been a long time since my parents (or anyone) have reminded me to do work. However, I know college will be different – we certainly aren’t partying on week nights or staying out all night on weekends here.</p>

<p>I find the advice about not signing up for 8 AM classes interesting. I love sleep as much as anyone, but I’m the type who would rather get classes out of the way in the morning. If I take afternoon classes, I’ll sleep in all morning; if I take morning classes, there’s actually a chance of my getting work done in the afternoon. I know that I can function pretty well without sleep (sleeping a lot at boarding school is impossible), but I definitely will try to find a balance…I certainly wouldn’t want 8 AM classes every day, but a couple times a week would be alright I think.</p>

<p>*I find the advice about not signing up for 8 AM classes interesting. I love sleep as much as anyone, but I’m the type who would rather get classes out of the way in the morning. If I take afternoon classes, I’ll sleep in all morning; if I take morning classes, there’s actually a chance of my getting work done in the afternoon. *</p>

<p>It’s totally up to you. </p>

<p>However, starting at 9am, a student isn’t pushing his schedule much into the afternoon.</p>

<p>a college schedule is very different from a high school schedule…often less time in actual classrooms.</p>

<p>For instance…</p>

<p>MTWR 9-9:50 4 credits (math classes are often scheduled like this…4 days in a row)
MWF 10 - 10:50 3 credits
MWF 11-11:50 3 credits
M 5 -7 lab
W 2- 4 lab</p>

<p>Tue/Thurs 11:00-12:15 3 credits
Tue/Thurs 1 - 2:15 3 credits</p>

<p>that’s 17 credits and starting at 9am doesn’t negatively affect the day.</p>

<p>also…be aware that many courses with labs offer those labs only in the afternoon or evening. So, it can be a REALLY long day to start at 8 am and not be done with labs until - say 4 or 5 pm.</p>

<p>Some would advise to schedule your “lunch break” either early or late to avoid the bigger crowds. </p>

<p>Another tip…a two hour break in one’s schedule during the daytime can be a great time to “force yourself” to study while waiting for the next class to start.</p>

<p>Well if you’re ok with early classes then that certainly helps scheduling quite a bit. When I helped lil bro put his schedules together I was under the constraints on no classes before 11am :-)</p>

<p>Like mom2c said just be careful not to schedule too long of a day for yourself. I personally wouldn’t do more than 3 classes a day and no more than 2 classes back to back without a break.</p>

<p>I actually enjoyed putting lil bro’s schedule together. So if you need any help when the time comes just let me know what you want to take and I’ll be glad to help you put a suitable schedule together.</p>

<p>I don’t think that the master’s in statistics is open to University Scholars. However, the most common master’s in economics program for University Scholars does include many of the same courses as it has a large data mining component.</p>

<p>Remember that business majors can have include a large mathematics component if you would like to include it in your major program. I am also a math major, specifically mathematical statistics, but retain the College of Commerce and Business Administration as my college of record.</p>

<p>I ended up taking American Literature instead of English Literature, so that is always an option should you decided not to take English Literature.</p>

<p>I recommend avoiding 8 AM classes, but also caution against taking classes that start too late. During my first semester, I didn’t have class until 3:30 PM and only took classes 3 days a week. I had a lot of fun, but it was like working the graveyard shift. However, if you prefer morning classes, more power to you. NJBama and m2ck have good advice in regards to scheduling courses.</p>

<p>If I did end up with a major that falls under the College of Commerce & Business, what does it entail to switch from Arts & Sciences into College of Commerce? Is it normal to do so?</p>

<p>I can’t tell you all how much I appreciate the advice. I’ve been able to handle most things up to here – room selection, traveling, scheduling Bama Bound – but thinking about class selection just overwhelmed me. I’m so lucky to have people who have been there done that.</p>

<p>It’s just a simple form you’d fill out. However C&BA does have requirements that you have to fulfill before you can register for upper division business classes.</p>

<p>Requirements. Students are eligible for admission to the upper division and to a major program—and are therefore entitled to enroll in 300- and 400- level business courses—only if they meet the following standards:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Students must have completed a minimum of 60 hours of credit. Students may apply for admission to the upper division either in the semester during which junior standing will be achieved or after junior standing has been achieved. Credit earned by such means as Advanced Placement (AP), CLEP, or departmental placement is counted toward the 60-hour requirement. Students who have completed coursework at other institutions and wish to have that work applied to the 60-hour requirement must see to it that transcripts from the other institutions are forwarded as soon as possible to The University of Alabama. Hours completed but not officially transferred to the student’s University of Alabama record cannot be included in the calculation of the 60-hour requirement. Courses (and hours) in which a student has earned a grade of “Incomplete” (“I”) cannot be included in the calculation of the 60-hour requirement until the grade has officially been changed to a passing grade.</p></li>
<li><p>Students must have completed with grades of “C-” or higher the following required courses:
* EC 110 and EC 111
* EN 101 and EN 102
* MATH 112 and MATH 121 (or MATH 115 and MATH 125)
* ST 260
* AC 210
* LGS 200</p>

<p>Students have a maximum of three (3) attempts at completing each of these courses with a grade of “C-” or higher. A grade of “W” counts as an attempt.</p>

<p>The remaining hours applied toward the 60-hour requirement should consist of courses required in the University of Alabama Core Curriculum and must include courses in the following categories:
* At least 4 hours of natural science
* At least 3 hours of fine arts, literature or humanities
* At least 3 hours of history or social and behavioral sciences (in addition to EC 110 and EC 111)</p></li>
<li><p>Except for the general business major, which requires a minimum grade point average of 2.0, students admitted to the upper division of the College and approved to begin C&BA coursework at the 300 and 400 level must have grade point averages of 2.5 or higher for all college-level coursework attempted, and they must have grade point averages of 2.5 or higher for all University of Alabama coursework attempted. A student whose grade point average falls below these standards may petition the assistant dean of undergraduate programs for admission to the upper division if the student’s grade point average for the last 30 hours attempted is 2.5 or higher. These admission standards have been established by the C&BA faculty and are subject to change.</p></li>
<li><p>Students majoring in management information systems are required to complete CS 120, CS 220, and MIS 295.</p></li>
<li><p>Students concentrating in quantitative finance are required to complete MATH 125 and MATH 126.</p></li>
</ol>