Credit over ride (>16) for Freshman? With NM/Pres scholarship

My daughter would like to enroll in a couple music credits (lessons - 1 cr, orchestra - 1 cr) as “fun” extras this fall, and will also have 1 cr from outdoor action.

The schedule she’s building will likely be higher than 16 cr all together for fall. I’m wondering how difficult it is to get the credit override, and how to get that done at her BamaBound in May. Can anyone give me the scoop?

FWIW, her reasons for wanting >16 cr fall registration are that 1 cr (the Outdoor Action) will be completed before classes begin, so that puts the technical limit at 15 cr during Fall. (Right?) Several of her planned courses are 4 cr each, and I’d like her to register for enough classes/credits so that if any one of her classes prove too much, she could easily drop that one without falling below 12 cr/FT. So, that means technically registering for at least 17 cr for Fall.

She’s looking at taking 3 “hard” engineering/comp sci/math courses (total of 12 cr) and then filling out the schedule with music and likely a “fun” honors elective of some sort.

If she added a single 3 cr “elective” type class to the 12 cr of core plus 2 cr music plus 1 cr OA, that’d put her at 18 cr, (technically, really 17) which would be a bit high. Alternatively, she might do just 1 or 2 cr of “elective” type honors classes (keeping her load to 16 or 17 technically, but 15 or 16 in the fall itself) , but I just want to know what her limits are to help her focus her selections.

FWIW, she’ll have AP & CLEP credit to cover nearly all (or possibly all, pending AP scores this summer) her general ed requirements, so she won’t have english or other typical general ed requirements to fulfill. This means that any non-core classes are going to be things she is just choosing because she desires to take it – making the additional workload both pleasant and easily dropped if too much work or not enjoyable.

She has the National Merit scholarship, so tuition is covered, which I think means that there is no direct additional cost for the extra credits. If she didn’t have the scholarship covering credits, she could do orchestra, etc, for no credit, but that seems silly to do the same work for no credit . . .

Is there anything I need to know about how the NM/Pres scholarships work for the override credit hours? Is there any limit to it covering the over-ride hours, or does it just automatically scale up?

Thanks!

No problem at all with 17 or 17.5 credits. You need an advisor override when you hit 18 - or 19 - (don’t have exact info in front of me), but still no problem. Don’t worry at all! Welcome to the Bama family!! If you haven’t joined us on Facebook yet and you are interested, please PM me for details.

You go girl!!!
^ Ditto: PM me for details about orchestra and lessons, and more info about the Huxford, audition process, and so forth! YAY!

18+ credits requires a paper override signed by a dean of the student’s college. Since one of the credits is for Honors Action, the dean will likely have the student confirm that they know it is a large time commitment and sign the override form.

If some of the “fun” courses count towards honors requirements, that’s great. I took two 1-credit Honors Common Book Experience courses during my time at UA and really enjoyed them.

Thanks so much for all the reassurance and kind thoughts! Yes, my daughter is hoping to find some honors class(es) as her “fun” stuff. A Common Book Experience course sounds awesome. My daughter loves to read, and that’d be a good complement to all the STEM classes. I haven’t seen those on the honors listings. I will have to search some more!! Thanks!!