National Merit Credit Override/Classes Question

<p>I am going to be starting UA this fall and have national merit finalist status, and I heard that because of that I can get an override for class registration to allow me to take 20 hrs instead of the normal amount. However, when I called about getting this, they said they do not recommend it for entering freshman. Has anyone here done this in the past and know whether or not it usually works out okay? I wouldn’t be planning on using it for full 20 hrs, just need a few extra so that I can sign up for the class that goes along with alabama action and still take the other classes I want. Thanks!</p>

<p>Also, does anyone know about how difficult Honors EN 215 or Spanish 370-something classes are? I will (hopefully!) have credit for english 101 & 102, so I registered for the english class assuming that would be one of the next ones in order, but couldn’t find a list anywhere. For spanish I have credit for SP 101 (5 on AP exam) and scored around 850 on the placement exam at bama bound, but because the highest the guide went for that was 300+ for a 440, I wasn’t sure which of them would be best to take (I signed up for a spanish lit class as a placeholder for now incase they fill up quickly as that sounded the most interesting). </p>

<p>Thanks for any advice that you may have :)</p>

<p>* I can get an override for class registration to allow me to take 20 hrs instead of the normal amount. However, when I called about getting this, they said they do not recommend it for entering freshman. *</p>

<p>I think you’ll probably have better results getting the over-ride if you don’t use the words, “20 credits” which would freak anyone out about an incoming frosh. Be sure to mention that 1 of the credits will be completed before semester starts. </p>

<p>Since 1 credit will be AA, how many other credits do you plan on taking? If your goal is - say - 18 credits, including 1 AA, that is 17 credits during the actual fall semester…still high for an incoming frosh, but you might be able to get that approved.</p>

<p>What is the breakdown of the classes that you want.</p>

<p>Also, does anyone know about how difficult Honors EN 215 or Spanish 370-something classes are?</p>

<p>Honors EN 215 will not be “hard” as long as you don’t mind doing the assigned work/reading. Which prof are you looking at? </p>

<p>Sounds like you’re completely fluent in Spanish. Is your plan to get a Spanish minor? The highest my kids went in Spanish was Conversational Spanish which is a 300 class. They never took any Spanish Lit. To me, that sounds hard, but to you, it may be just an interesting challenge.</p>

<p>Oh I didn’t actually say 20 credits when I called, just asked about the national merit override haha. I will mention that one of them is for alabama action though, thanks!</p>

<p>Right now I am signed up for the following but I still need to add my fine arts credit (they were all full so I am waiting for more to open) and possibly a studio art class (I still need to speak to that department though, I was planning on minoring in that but my advisors weren’t sure if it was a good idea):</p>

<p>COM 123, EN 215, MATH 208, SP 375, UH 103 (Alabama Action)</p>

<p>I don’t mind doing the reading, so that won’t be a problem :slight_smile: The only professor that was available for the english class was Laura Thrasher, so that is the one I registered for. </p>

<p>I am not really sure about a spanish minor since I really wanted to do an art one (I’d like to be an elementary art teacher so I thought that might help), I just picked the literature one because I took a spanish lit class in high school after AP and really enjoyed it. I think it probably will be pretty challenging, but I like spanish so I think it’s something I’d be willing to work at</p>

<p>Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it :)</p>

<p>*COM 123, EN 215, MATH 208, SP 375, UH 103 (Alabama Action)
*</p>

<p>So, you’ve signed up for the above classes so far? Is that about 13 credits? And, how many more do you want to take? 6? </p>

<p>BTW…if you ever take a Math for education majors, take Dr. Jim Gleason. He teaches the “why” and the “how”. He’s on a “one man mission to improve math education across America” because he truly believes that this country does a lousy job teaching math. </p>

<p>He is VERY student oriented and often hosts a “class dinner” at his home with his wife and 5 children. It’s a dinner and board game night and his students really look forward to it.</p>

<p>Yep, those are the ones I’ve signed up for. I’m not sure how many credits the other two would be but probably around 6. I’ll definitely try to get into one of his classes, he sounds really great! I think when I was registering the instructors were all TBA so I’ll have to keep checking back</p>