Crisis - Honors Student assigned to Mary Burke

<p>My daughter was awarded at full tuition scholarship at UA. We didn’t apply for Housing until April - and she was anxiously waiting for notification that she was able to secure Honors Housing. She just received an email today advising she was assigned to Mary Burke. She is so upset. The roommate she was assigned didn’t have any information filled out on her profile - so my daughter doesn’t know anything about her.
I called Housing and asked if all the overflow Honors were at least being housed together - but it sounds like they are placing them where singles are available.
My D did submit the housing change request - but doesn’t seem likely she will get into Honors this year.
I feel terrible for her. She wasn’t sold on AL to begin with (her top choice was Miami in OH, so she was looking for a smaller, private-feeling school) - but we strongly encouraged her to go to AL for the scholarship. The Honors Housing made me feel much more comfortable that she would be living with some like-minded students as far as academic aspirations.
Now I’m back-peddling, wondering if we should look into Miami again. I know it’s a knee jerk reaction - but she is such a good student and has worked so hard…I’m second guessing our decision.
Any advice from parents who have been through this?</p>

<p>I would post this in the UA forum; roll tide!</p>

<p>I stumbled on this thread – as a parent of a just finished freshman at a big state U, I would say don’t worry too much about the roommate thing. Plenty of kids live with other kids they don’t have much in common with – and it is just a question of living compatibility, who picks their stuff up the floor, who respects someone’s privacy etc. If she is in Honors, she may just be coming back to her room to sleep. My son did not study in his room, ever – he studied in the library or with friends. His room was a place to crash and hang out with floor mates. The fact that she is not with another Honors student does not sound like the end of the world – I suspect that a “regular” roommate is not going to flip her experience so dramatically. She will be plenty busy with class and Honors-related activities.</p>

<p>First, this is not a crisis. By any stretch of the imagination.</p>

<p>Second, the 'Bama board would be the place where you’ll get the most help.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>I’m sure you didn’t mean it that way, but I’m sure there are lots and lots of bright, ambitious and hard working students among the unwashed masses. LOL.</p>

<p>You’ve posted on the Bama thread where you’ll get the best advice.</p>

<p>You applied for housing VERY late for someone who wanted a preference. Bama is very good about helping kids switch dorms. Go to your other thread for more info.</p>

<p>JoBenny - You are absolutely right! I actually have twins and the other one is not an Honors candidate and attending a different university as well. I think I am just STRESSED out. Please forgive! And thanks for giving me the opportunity to correct. :slight_smile:
I did re-post on UA - thanks for the encouragement! I know it isn’t really a crisis - but tonight, it seems like that to my D.</p>

<p>Explain to her that a lot of honors kids party too–for many, the high grades in high school were a result of their parents rules / pressure and these kids often go a bit off the bandwagon with the first taste of freedom. Not all, but some. Just like some “regular” kids do the same.</p>

<p>She will meet other honors students in her classes and activities. She won’t be at any disadvantage.</p>

<p>Also, most students tend to do their work in libraries and study lounges. Doing work in the room can be distracting–other kids on the floor stopping by to say hi and chat with you or the roomie, people socializing in the hall ways, roomie drying her hair after a shower, the distractions of all the other things you can do in your room–take a nap, clean up clutter etc.</p>

<p>Tell her not to worry–it’s not her first choice, but it’s also not a crisis–and that’s life. It’s also a life lesson that the early bird gets the worm, so she learns to make decisions and be pro-active.</p>

<p>My daughter started her Freshman year in the Honors dorm and HATED it. She opted out as soon as she was allowed to request a room change and was much happier living away from the same group of students she took classes with. Her grades didn’t suffer and her social life improved. She needed to branch out. Don’t sweat it for your daughter. Roommates are a roll of the dice.</p>

<p>Thank you bellevuemom - that’s very re-assuring! You are so right - we are calming down now. ha!</p>

<p>Hang in there…I can relate (triplets)…one of mine is an Honor student but has chosen to live in a different llc…she thought this would give her more groups to meet and form friendships knowing that she can use the honors dorm study rooms and activities…just a different perspective!
And, give yourself a break…this is SUCH a stressful time for so many reasons!! :grinning:</p>

<p>3Tripliet - I cannot imagine getting THREE ready for college. Two has been a handful to navigate through this process. Thanks for the encouragement!</p>

<p>My D was in the honors program at a very large state university. The honors students were not housed together. She was fine! Great, in fact! Regardless of who they room with Freshman year, they will make different choices for Sophomore year.</p>

<p>Don’t fret. You’re hypersensitive to issues because you “encouraged” her to go there and you feel responsible if something goes wrong. Mother guilt is the worst! Remember that she will feel more anxious about this development if she senses YOUR anxiety over it. Stay calm, roll with it and keep looking at the positives. She’ll follow your lead.</p>

<p>EPTR - you are so right. I really needed this boost tonight from my fellow parents - thank you for taking time to post!</p>

<p>LOL -</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>DSs UA Honors suite roommate from Soph. year is now in prison for drug trafficking. I can’t see how the Honors dorm are any different than any others.
Plenty of legitimate things to worry about in sending your child off, this is not one of them! Try and relax - :)</p>

<p>Oh my! Yes - I should have taken a few moments to breathe before sending off my panic post!</p>

<p>Going to add, there are many kids that are not in Honors housing that were eligible for Honors College but opted not to follow that path. My D is one. She just did not want to go that path. She will be in Tut and is thrilled to be in a “regular” dorm with the good ol fashioned college feel. </p>

<p>With the suites you can have kids that go to class and then go straight back to their room, their bedroom. May not even mingle much with their suitemates much less others in the same building. Being in a more traditional dorm does make them have to meet others and learn to live close to others. </p>

<p>There are plenty of bright sides to this situation. One being, you are not having to take out a loan to pay for that dorm. </p>

<p>It is okay to fret some for them. Just take a deep breath and relax. They will be just fine. Remember, all things work out for a reason. </p>

<p>Best of luck and Roll Tide</p>

<p>My daughter and her future roommate are both Presidential scholars. Both decided to live in Burke because they liked community style dorms AND it’s much less expensive. Saying that Burke won’t have “like-minded” academic students is simplistically ridiculous.</p>

<p>3triplet…going to start stalking your posts! Ours are headed to high school next year!</p>

<p>Thanks everyone! I wish I could take down my post - although I’ve received wonderfully supportive comments - I am embarrassed about my ‘like-minded’ post. I don’t know how to delete it. But I get it, TwoXCollege - my comment was careless and inaccurate.</p>