CSUN or Community College?

Hello everyone,
I am currently a high school senior. So far, I have been admitted to CSU Channel Islands, CSU Northridge, SDSU, and Sac State University. I also have registered for two community colleges (Pierce and Moorpark). However, have decided to stay near home (CSUN,Pierce, or moorpark) and I wish to possibly pursue a nursing career and that both of my parents are registered nurses. However, in order to get into the nursing program at CSU Northridge (The university near my home), i must already be a registered nurse (ADN from a CC I believe), but I have selected Public health as my major for CSUN and I heard that I can transfer from the public health track to the BSN program after 4 years I believe. I also have the other option of going to moorpark/pierce to get my AA then transfer to a four year university to get a BSN. I have been discussing this with my parents and, in the end, it’s all up to me. I feel very conflicted because I cannot decide where to go once I graduate. I apologize if some of this doesn’t make any sense, but advice is appreciated.

nursing is very competitive everywhere. Transferring into Northridge as a Jr will require a really strong transcript. If you were admitted into the nursing program at one of the other CSUs, you might want to give that some more thought.

Do the community colleges near you have a track that makes it easier to transfer to a nursing program at a CSU? Nursing programs are very competitive and the only CSUs with direct entry are SDSU and CSF.

@negirl508 I heard that pierce has the collaborative program for BSN Accelerated and the Nursing Coordinator at CSUN said that I can easily transfer from CC (Moorpark in this case) to get my BSN (Once I have my ADN/RN i believe).

If you want to stay close to home then the AA tract to BSN at Northridge makes the most sense. You can get you AA and possibly work some to get a connection at a place to work once you graduate with your BSN. A lot of people go the AA route to BSN since it is cheaper.

If you had applied directly to a BSN program and gotten in, then I would recommend doing that but it sound like you did not do that.

The only other alternative you mention is to get a 4 year degree in Public health and then an AA in nursing. Some people get a BS in another field first then decide they want to do nursing but then that is 6 years of school. By the time you finish 4 years, you may not want to do another 2. I have no idea what kind of job a BS in Public Health would get you so you might want to find that out before you major in it.