CU Boulder Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Similar for my OOS son
1520 SAT, 3.9 uw GPA, 4.3 w GPA, multiple APs with score of 5, inc. Comp. Sci.
Applied to CS, admitted to ES
Did get $25k scholarship
Looks like next few weeks are going to be pretty nerve wracking

Did you look at the bottom of the acceptance letter - the scholarship is not mentioned directly in the acceptance letter, itā€™s a separate letter - there would be a link at the bottom of the acceptance letter.

Some schools might accept too many and weed them out later. Not sure if Iowa State does that.

ISU graduation rate 73.4%. CU boulder graduation rate 68.8%. Go Cyclones.

2 Likes

Ya I get your point. But It looks like a fair number of CS OOS applicants were admitted to ES. There is clearly some thinking behind this even if yield management isnā€™t the objective.

1 Like

The thinking goes something like this: If we can get relatively high stat OOS students to come to us without the program they want, and get them to fork over OOS tuition and fees, yay us!

Daughter admitted OOS, Arts & Sciences for Psychology, honors invite, Presidential Scholarship, 55k. Not her top choice but a good option!

4.0 uw
4.7 gpa
test optional
average ecs

1 Like

My son applied for Computer Science and was admitted to Exploratory Studies. It is pretty much what we expected based on folksā€™ experiences in the last few years, as he didnā€™t have particularly good stats and applied test optional. Iā€™m trying to understand why CU Boulderā€™s PES is viewed so differently from the tracks at other large state schools with good CS programs.

For example, at Wisconsin-Madison, all students seeking a CS degree are admitted into the College of Letters and Science and then need to apply to major in CS after taking Calc I and II and 2 or 3 CS classes with a minimum GPA. At Minnesota-Twin Cities, students apply to declare a CS major after completing similar math and CS courses with a minimum GPA. Michigan State is similar.

These seem to be functionally the same as CU Boulderā€™s Exploratory Studies requirements to automatically transfer into the CS B.A. or B.S. program. That is, take Calc I and II and 3 CS classes with a minimum GPA and qualify for a non-competitive admission into CS. Intra-University Transfer (IUT) Into College of Engineering & Applied Science Bachelor's Degree Programs | Student Support & Advising Services | University of Colorado Boulder

I understand that there are also direct admit CS programs like the UCs, Illinois and Purdue (though Purdue follows a similar First Year Engineering program for other Engineering majors), but CU Boulderā€™s program doesnā€™t seem particularly unusual. Direct admission into CS at CU Boulder relieves the student of the requirement of getting a 2.7 GPA or better in the first 5 or so classes of the major, but is there any other advantage? Does it just grant low-GPA ā€œimmunityā€ that would allow a direct admit CS major to continue on with a CS degree after getting low grades at the beginning? That seems like a non-trivial, but relatively narrow, advantage from my perspective.

I am honestly and innocently asking, not advocating, as I am trying to determine how to best advise my son.

3 Likes

I think it all depends on options. My S22 has direct to CS admit options so ES to CS is not a path he wants to explore. By your summary, should be straight forward to move into CS. At least more easily than the Berkeley LS to CS path. If your child loves Boulder and the $$$ makes sense, it might be a decent option.

1 Like

My son got accepted to the Biology program but $0 merit. Hard as an out of state family to make this work. He applied to many other schools that are giving him $20k+ meritā€¦Doesnā€™t look like heā€™ll be a Buff.
3.9 GPA
32 ACT

2 Likes

are you saying unlike the other schools you mention boulder has both direct admit and es? if so, what is the reasoning behind having both?

One thing that might play into this is that CU lets students ā€˜not graduateā€™ and go right to grad school and get a 5th year masters. Why do this? Because they can continue to pay the undergrad tuition (and take undergrad loans). My nephew did this and. If he had changed his mind, he could have just applied for undergrad graduation as heā€™d completed all his credits for the BS (engineering). In the stats, he (and his girlfriend) took 5 years to get an undergrad degree but not really.

The faculty encourages this. The student also gets the Colorado resident grant of $75/cr for that extra year.

1 Like

Not being able to live on campus? Iā€™m curious. Our daughter was accepted. We are OOS. Astronomy major. Will she not be able to live on campus?

5 Likes

ISU also has the BS/MS degree for some programs. Itā€™s possible the size differs between the 2 institutions. I think all of the big publics provide an outstanding education for the student who is motivated. Thereā€™s more similarities than differences among all these schools.

1 Like

My daughter got into Aerospace engineering!!! No scholarship. Out of state. Was her top choice together whth Purdue. Her GPA is only 3.9 but 9 APs, Russian and French fluency, varsity swimming, music awards, plus our HS has Aerospace engineering and wind tunnel so taking that and lots of other STEM classes must have helped

3 Likes

I think that comment was a misunderstanding. There is a residential village for CU students about 10 minutes away. There are older dorms in the middle of campus as well as newer ones on the edge of campus by Leeds.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any insight into why CU Boulderā€™s grad rates are so poor (4 years and 6 year)?

Also, seems many applicants here are highly qualified in the hard sciences and math, and CS. But is the school strong too for general arts & sciences majors?

1 Like

I canā€™t answer that question with firsthand knowledge, but; I came across possible root causes to the low rates:

If graduation rates are low, that can tell you something about the school: it may mean students do not get the academic support they need to succeed, that they are disappointed by the faculty or staff, or that they find life at the school unaffordable. ā€¦ And that may give pause to a prospective student.

Congrats! Does anyone know if cs engineering students get invited into honors in engineering or do they have to separately apply? If student did not get invited to honors today in engineering, are they able to apply?

Also - for OOS, what is best way to get on lisf for a good dorm?

Thanks!

Iā€™m wondering the same thing. My son received merit from every school he was admitted to and find it strange OOS to get nothing with high stats

1 Like