CU Boulder Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

D22 OOS admitted for Philosophy major, Honors
Chancellors and Arts & Humanities scholarships for total $9250 a year
3.9 UW GPA
1480 SAT

3 Likes

Twins both admitted but limited scholarship (each got $3150) doesnā€™t make a dent in the OOS premium so itā€™s not looking likely. It was my daughterā€™s first choice but she got a lot more money to Kelley at IU. My son loves Boulder but was hoping for a higher ranked computer engineering program, especially at that price point.

Daughter - direct admit to LEEDS
SAT 1440
GPA 4.4
Chosen to interview for LEEDS Scholar Program, which is selective and quite an honor but, unfortunately, does not seem to come with any additional scholarship money

Son - direct admit to engineering (applied for CSE, not sure if thatā€™s what he got or if its a FYE kind of thing).
SAT - 1580
GPA - 4.0

Itā€™s hard to justify the high OOS price tag when we have good instate options and SEC schools throwing money at them.

3 Likes

My daughter got into Aerospace engineering with no scholarship. Her HS friend, with higher stats, applied to lower ranked Mechanical engineering but got Exploratory studies but a scholarshipā€¦

I donā€™t get this. Anyone can explain how this works? Who determines the scholarship? Was it somehow based on FATSA information provided (which would make some sense)? How does a kid who qualifies for Aerospace not get a scholarship and a kid deferred to Exploratory studies gets $25k?

2 Likes

My guess is for in-demand and highly ranked majors they see no need to award scholarships. Purdue CS is similar.

4 Likes

Was that $25,000 annually, or total over the course of 4 years? I got excited about the scholarship money offered then realized it was a total amount, not annual. Bummer.

1 Like

Its 6250 per year

3 Likes

How do we find out if our accepted kid got merit aid or not?

Does anyone know why international university rankings for CU Boulder are much higher than internal when it is almost always the other way around?

We got an email last night ā€œSubject: Your Studentā€™s Estimated Financial Aid at CU Boulderā€ and the attached pdf showed the numbers. Merit aid was displayed under ā€œEstimated Grants and Scholarships.ā€

2 Likes

Yes got it too

1 Like

We also received our aid email the other night. DS has not yet submitted any scholarship requests so not surprisingly, we received nothing. Says he will do it. (sigh)

We didnā€™t receive that email. We also didnā€™t fill out the FAFSA, but we were hoping to get merit aid. Do you know when we find out if we get merit aid?

Last month at a presentation, we were told that students should submit scholarship applications by Feb 15 even if a scholarship deadline says March XX on the website. There are two ā€œpartsā€ to the scholarship application, you have to do the first part before you see options in the second part, at least thatā€™s how it was described to us. Numerous essays (5 - 6?) are involved, so do not put this off if your kid is trying for scholarships. My kid has been working at it sporadically over the past three weeks and got part one submitted this week. Still has to do part two before Feb 15.

Note this is in addition to any automatic aid included in the financial aid email.

3 Likes

We did fill out the FAFSA so I donā€™t know if that made a difference, but the email showed the merit aid we were expecting. We knew about that merit aid from an email sent on Jan 21 (when EA acceptances were going out).

1 Like

We also got the email and also filled out FAFSA but only got $5500 in ā€œfederal unsubsidized loansā€ with unspecified percentage. Not sure what it means - payable under what terms? Anyone knows?

Also we finally got our admission letter by mail. Surprised that it took this long for them to send it. Others were much quicker.

Googling it, I found a 3.73% rate for direct unsubsidized loans for 2021-2022 for undergrads. Being unsubsidized, the interest starts accruing immediately upon taking out the loan. There is also an additional 1.057% origination fee.
https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/types/loans/interest-rates

Is this what you were asking?

2 Likes

Definitely and thanks!

Getting closer and closer to making a decision on CU Boulder!
Penn State was in the running but 2+2 isnā€™t great and first two years (not just one) are general engineering years, ASU and Iowa State are direct Aerospace major admits but CU Boulder is ranked higher (despite very substantial scholarships from both). SUNY and UPenn are both Planetary sciences and not Aerospace Engineering so not what she wants.

We were still waiting on VT but I read today that it is actually general engineering the first year and not Aerospace so not really interested anymore. Not sure she needs this stress.

So almost 100% thereā€¦ Looks like a direct hit like that - top10 Aerospace engineering direct major acceptance is something to treasure and we should just go with it instead of waiting more and moreā€¦ What do you think?

4 Likes

Has anyone been able to determine tuition costs for 2022 yet? I know final costs are not yet approved but I have seen several different estimates on various pages of CUā€™s website. I called the Bursarā€™s office today and the woman I spoke with was fairly clueless.

My son is also passing on Penn State UP and CU is still in the running for us too for aerospace engineering. My son is leaning towards Purdue, but CU is a contender, as my son likes that itā€™s directly into the major. We are still waiting on UIUC and postponed at UMich, so we have a bit more waiting. Good luck on making a decision. I donā€™t think you can go wrong with CU for aerospace.

2 Likes

CUā€™s Board of Regents approved a 3% tuition increase for the upcoming academic year. ā€œBeginning in 2022, the Boulder campusā€™ annual tuition for in-state undergraduates will increase by $312, totaling $11,040, and go up almost $1,100 for out-of-state freshmen for a cost of more than $37,600.ā€

2 Likes