Cumulative GPA vs GPA over time

Do large colleges such as PSU/OSU/MSU only run numbers looking at total GPA and test scores? Or do they have a GPA formula possible weighting certain years differently? My son got a 3.0 freshman year, 2.4 Sophomore year with health issues, and had a 3.7 Junior year. Just wondering what we need to do to get big schools to look at the improvement and understand how obstacles. Or is a lost cause where 1 bad year takes you out

Grades are grades. Some big schools have hit a gpa and you are in. Others are more competitive. So it will hurt.

Perhaps the best way to handle is have the counselor address in their report. You could also describe the issue in the additional info section.

But - coming from a school source will be more credible.

There are plenty of schools out there for kids with those grades. But competitive schools are unlikely because not just the 2.4 but also the 3.0.

But there is more to a student than grades - test scores, ECs etc.

Good luck.

Edit - thanks to @Midwestmom2022 - I missed the schools.

Likely not to OSU and PSU. Not impossible to PSU though as 25% of their admits are under a 3.5. Of course, the courses one take matter too.

OSU will be tough.

Michigan State shows a 3.8 average - but that’s weighted. They have a very high admit rate.

The Arizona schools would be safeties plus Kansas, Iowa State and others.

Good luck.

All is not lost! However, you may need to give colleges context for the grades.
First, your high school counselor should explain the sophomore health issue in their letter.
Second, you need to show the schools that the 3.7 number is right (and not the blip in performance). There are a couple ways to do this. You can submit your senior grades, which are hopefully as high or higher than junior year. Also, you could submit a test score that confirms the 3.7. If your high school has Naviance or Scior you can see what sort of grades go with what sorts of score at each of these schools. Look to see what test scores the kids with a 3.7 cumulative are submitting. If you can submit that score, it helps to confirm that those grades are an accurate representation.
I don’t believe the three schools you listed post grade cut off info. Go to the University of Iowa website. They have a formula. Plug in your numbers and see if your son is an auto-admit there. If he is, I think he is probably in range for Michigan State too. At my son’s school we have a lot of kids apply to these schools and they have a similar admitted student profile.
Your son may also want to write his essay about what he did to come back junior year and perform at a high level. That must have been a really frustrating and scary sophomore year. I bet he grew a lot as a person and a learner. And those are life lessons and skills that will serve him well in college. If he’s not in range at Iowa/MSU, come back and ask for recommendations from this board. Lots of big schools at all levels of selectivity.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.