Current Student to Prospective Applicants: Don't Come

I found myself on College Confidential a lot the past few years and now I’m a freshmen here at UM. If you’re considering applying or attending the University of Miami I have one message for you: DON’T COME. The past two months here have been the worse two months of my life. If you are extremely wealthy, a wannabe frat star, or just plain selfish come to UM. You’ll love it. However, if you are looking for a quality academic environment, enjoy learning, take your studies seriously, don’t have parents with unlimited financial resources, or are generally a responsible individual with goals in life DON’T COME TO UM. I would hate to see anyone else make the same mistake I did by coming to UM. The school is overrun by the wealthy and arrogant 60% of students who’s biggest worry is our football team or how they’ll be turning up tonight while they shop their way through classes if they even bother to attend.

I hope you are transferring out for your well being. Clearly it does not work for you.

Sorry you are having a bad experience. You should be able to pull easy As if the rest of the student body matches your description. You may find some friends among the other 40%.

The As come very easy. UM doesn’t have quality academics on par with some of the other schools people might be considering. Unfortunately I don’t have the money to give up my full scholarship and transfer.

^^^Another warning to applicants: Free school is not worth being miserable. Take out some loans if it means you’ll be happy.

This is a tradeoff students and parents struggle with every year. You really have to make the best of it if you can’t afford to change. You might look at some of the more intellectual clubs/activities on campus to try to find some like minded people (college newspaper?). Talk to professors to see if you can help any of them with research – most of them are probably happy to see a student serious about academics and wanting to dig into their subject matter more deeply.

Similarly, the school may be full of partying boneheads but what your experience there is up to you. It is possible for go to get a strong education there. Be the kind of student you wish there were more of at your school. Odds are you will find yourself in the company of plenty who have more maturity and seriousness of purpose. They are there.

With all due respect to the original poster, to paint all students at Miami or any school ,with the same brush is unfair. To be certain there are courses of study which are not that rigorous, but the School of Marine Science, pre med curriculum, Frost School of Music, Schools of Architecture and Engineering are full of bright students who work hard and take their studies seriously. My son is a junior in the School of Marine Science, and he has to work very hard to do well. There is a certain segment of the student body from affluent backgrounds who don’t take their studies as seriously, probably because they know their future is secure, but I believe if a student keeps an open mind, they will eventually find their niche.

I think it is unfair for you to generalize the students at Miami. Sure there are some like you describe, but you will find those at all schools. My sister’s friend graduated from Miami two years ago and is now an investment banker working in a large NY bank alongside Ivy league graduates. The bank she works for said that the Miami students are very well prepared, if not more for this high paying career. If you are open to finding people similar to you it can be done. Complaining does not help your cause. You have been given an opportunity and made the decision to attend now it’s up to you. The school is not to blame.

My daughter worked her tail off to get into Frost and takes it very serious. We are not wealthy, on sizable scholarship, and she loves The U (and football). I can say that many kids are looking for a school with sports spirit, and football is part of the decision. If my DD was miserable, she would come back to the Midwest. You must be very smart. Talk to an expert and look inside to find out why you are unhappy as this may be something you can work through.

@collegeappstory…I am sorry you are having this experience. My son is a freshman at UM and hasn’t encountered the same, although it did take him several weeks to adjust. Your education is what you make of it, no matter where you attend. I hope you find your way as

@collegeappstory…I am sorry you are having this experience. My son is a freshman at UM and hasn’t encountered the same, although it did take him several weeks to adjust. Your education is what you make of it, no matter where you attend. Keep an open mind and you will eventually find your way. It’s amazing that you received a full scholarship, which I’m sure was truly well earned and well deserved. However, keep this in mind-some of the wealthy students who attend have parents that are UM alumni. Without their generosity and financial support, many scholarships that are given wouldn’t even be available. Don’t waste your time with regret about your decision and make the most out of the wonderful opportunity that you have been given.

As a fellow current freshman at the U, it’s a shame that you’re casting the university in a bad light. Not everyone is how you describe. Yes there are many wealthy students, what did you expect? You’re in Miami. On the other hand there are lots of kids like yourself; you just need to seek them out. Your negative attitude towards the school is keeping you from seeing this. I’m what you would probably call a “wannabe frat star”, but I love learning just as much as I enjoy having a good time. If you need a friend or a study partner, hit me up. College as a whole is what you make of it.

I am offended by your post. Simply because you are not happy doesn’t mean that thousands of others considering the U would not be. Feel free to state your case, but not in such a blanket way as “DON’T COME”. My S has been very happy with his education and overall college experience. He is challenging himself completing two degrees in four years, and has found amazing internship opportunities for which he was very well prepared. Even more than many other interns at supposedly better/Ivy league schools, to which he could have gone as well. Many kids may be wealthy, but there are thousands like you on scholarships. You need to find and befriend them. College is what you make of it. Get involved in things that interest you and you will find your place. If not, you will be unhappy no matter where you are.

My son graduated from the UM engineering school and had a job offer by the fall of his senior year. He had two amazing summer internships along the way and is now working in a job offering lots of training and opportunity for advancement. He was in a fraternity but his closest pals were the guys from his freshman floor. Our family will forever be grateful to the U for his experiences and opportunities.

Just remembered I created this thread so thought I’d come take a look after some time has passed. Unfortunately much of my original criticism still holds through. The first night living in the dorms I was ostracized after most of us went out together and then myself and another kid ended up getting ditched by the group we went out with. After that my floor mates were dismissive and hostile. When my father had a heart attack and I had to go home for the weekend they called me a little b**** so I’m a little unsure about these great friends you made. I’ve started to using the Cane Success Center as they informed me that “It’s their job to get me to fall in love with UM.” The person I met through the program told me often the university’s most academically successful students that she encounters often feel isolated and alone. I’m completing three degrees and will be graduating a semester early for free but still find it hard to see a path for myself at UM.

It may be that Miami is not a fit for you. That happens at many schools. It’s good you are getting help and it’s great that Miami is providing this to you. That speaks to the university. Have you tried to reach out through clubs or groups with people of similar interests? Two of my children have graduated already and one of them had a difficult time adjusting to their east coast school the first year but they found their place the second year. Sometimes it just takes time to connect.