CWRU Class of 2025 Decisions

LOL! Thank you. I was just going to post this.

1 Like

To take advantage of need aware , should applicant not apply FA at all? or EFC 60K has better shot than EFC $30K?
I don’t believe AO have time to go over the ZIP or zillow.
How about some expensive EC like tennis with private coaching, summer program at Brown Univ? Are those good leads for need aware school?

I am not for or against need aware. Just curious to learn.

They don’t use your zip code or zillow, they determine your need based on the CSS profile that you fill out when applying. When kids with similar stats are being reviewed next to one another, I think it would be relatively safe to assume that an EFC of $60K would likely have a better chance of admission than an EFC of $0.

Paying full ticket price for a college is always a benefit. If you are willing to pay the full cost and was deferred, contact the school and let them know.

ACCEPTED
Application Type: EA

Objective
SAT: n/a
ACT: 32 super score (34 reading, 33 science, 32 english, 31 math)
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.51 (my freshman and sophomore GPA was bad)
AP: *5) AP Psych, taking Spanish Language and Culture, Statistics, and 2-D Art and Studio Design this year
IB: n/a
Senior Year Course Load: (All non AP courses are college prep)
Advanced Journalism: Editors, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, English Electives, Topics in Biology: Molecular Genetics, Topics in Biology: Evolutionary Biology, Photography Portfolio (with the option to submit AP portfolio)
Major Award: NAHS member, My school’s newspaper won several awards that I included in my application, but they were not individual.

Subjective
Extracurriculars: JV Soccer (Captain in Grade 11), Active member of local youth group, Club soccer, JV softball, Arts Magazine (Layout Editor), School newspaper (Sports Editor: Print)
Job/Work Experience: Paid photographer for men’s soccer team, Summer camp, counselor, and U9 girls soccer coach (not paid)
Volunteer/Community Service: local community play project and weeklong mission trips each summer.
Summer Activities: Summer camp counselor, mission trip attendee, attend camps, and did a psychology internship.
Essays: 9 (talked about how I came to find myself at the camp I now work at, and how the lessons I learned there have spread throughout my life)
Recommendations: I did not see any of them, but my college counselor is known for having amazing recommendations.

Other
Applied for Financial Aid: Yes
Intended Major: Psychology
State: n/a
School Type: Private International School
Hooks: International Student

Scholarships/Financial Aid Received: Federal Work-Study, Direct Subsidized Loan, and Direct Unsubsidized Loan.

Hope this helps!
Congrats everyone !!!

2 Likes

ACCEPTED
Application Type (ED/EA/RD): EA

ACT (breakdown): COMPOSITE - 34
MATH - 34
SCIENCE - 35
STEM - 35
ENGLISH - 31
READING - 36

Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.65
Weighted GPA: 3.8
AP: AP CompSci (4), AP Gov, AP Physics, AP Calc, AP Latin

Senior Year Course Load: AP Physics, AP Calc, AP Latin; Independent Engineering, Web & Graphic Design, Senior Lit & Humanities course
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Honor roll, RIT Computing Award, Placed 1st in U.S. at Trinity College International Robotics Competition

Extracurriculars: School Ambassador, Varsity Wrestling Team, Robotics Team (Hardware Lead), SilverSat (Aviation co-leader; Payload Mechanical co-leader)
Job/Work Experience: Odd jobs and pet-sitter
Volunteer/Community service: A Wider Circle, serving the needs of families moving out of homeless shelters

Summer Activities:
*Learning C++ for Human Spaceflight Engineering, Rice University ELITE Tech
*Robotics and Computer Programming, 6-Points Sci-Tech Academy
*Advanced Space Academy, U.S. Space & Rocket Center
*Electrical Engineering with Raspberry Pi, Digital Media Academy
*Drobots Camp and Aviation Camp, Bullis School

Essays (rating 1-10, details): 8? Wrote about how I love inventing things and finding new uses for existing items. Just because something hasn’t been invented yet doesn’t mean it can’t be…
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): 2 recommendations; details unknown

College-level Coursework (took a class for the past 2 summers):
*Johns Hopkins University: Introduction to Engineering, 2019 (3 credits)
*Worcester Polytechnic Institute: Introduction to Computer-Aided Design, 2020 (3 credits)

Applied for Financial Aid?: No
Intended Major: Engineering (electrical, mechanical or aerospace)
State (if domestic applicant): Maryland, USA
School Type: Private
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): none

Scholarships/Finan. Aid Received: $15K/year

1 Like

Guys ppsp decisions are coming out today @ 12 pm EST!! How are yall feeling??

Good luck !!!

(Posting for my son who isn’t on CC)

Decision: Admitted with interview offer for PPSP (combined undergrad/ MD program). The actual Case admission was a nice bonus since we didn’t know if an admissions offer would be part of the interview offer. Even though he would love to attend Case, most of the information sessions have been during school so he wasn’t sure if he’d be able to demonstrate sufficient interest even though it’s a school he would love to attend.

Application Type (ED/EA/RD): RD

Objective

SAT I (breakdown):
ACT (breakdown): 36 (all sections, 1 attempt)
SAT II:
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
Weighted GPA: 4.65
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): school doesn’t rank but near the top of 180 students
AP (place score in parenthesis): 7 completed, 4 this year. 4s and 5s except for a 3 on Gov (which he blames covid testing changes for!)
Senior Year Course Load: 4 APs, DE history and anatomy classes. High rigor all the way through.
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): NMSF, Presidential Scholar nominee

Subjective

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Baseball, Violin (1st violinist in city-wide orchestra, concert master at school’s orchestra), Cross Country, club basketball
Volunteer/Community service: week-long summer construction projects X4 (160ish hours), medical volunteering (about 100 hours), lots of shorter volunteer activities like soup kitchen, church projects, etc.
Summer Activities: Research internship (covid messed with it but about 60 hours)
Essays (rating 1-10, details): I’m not objective but I think my son’s essays were pretty good.
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): I think his teachers wrote him strong letters but of course he waived his right to see them.

Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
Intended Major: BME
State (if domestic applicant): OH
School Type: Public
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Not sure if it’s a hook per se but we’re a military family and my son is multiracial (Indonesian, Chinese, Caucasian, African)

2 Likes

Do they consider medical and dental ppsp together or separately?

Not sure, my son is applying for the MD program. No idea about the DDS program.

Did anyone get their ED2 decision? The website states that applicants will be notified within two weeks of completing their application. It has been 3 weeks for me.

Still waiting - I think they running late like most schools

She got it! D21 got accepted to Case through ED2!

7 Likes

Congratulations! That is amazing news!

3 Likes

I am grateful this is over… and you and @bopper have already provided this amazing information!

4 Likes

I wish it was over for us! You are so lucky. Hopefully we can visit Case in April to help D with her decision.

1 Like

She is so talented and that is such a testament to her talent to have so many schools wanting her! ( not that it helps during this waiting period :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does CWRU negotiate merit money?

I heard from a friend that they do for those high-stat students. He had such experience for his son’s application last year, but the kid eventually went to Northwestern.