Data Science

Hey anybody else applying for the new data science major at Purdue?

Hey there! I am applying for this major. Do you think it’s going to be very competitive?

@san1011noha I hope not, I looked at some data from UC Irvine recently and last year there were 281 applicants and like a 50% acceptance rate. If the numbers at Purdue this year are similar I think it’ll be alright
http://www.oir.uci.edu/files/adm/IA19-fall-fr-select-yield-by-major.pdf

Am applying to Data Science as well. I saw a Supplemental Scholarship form on logging in - did all get that? I also see there are other threads that have a Departmental Scholarship application - from Purdue’s site, the School of Science seems to have a very limited number, but did anyone get that for the Data Science major?

@vrn2000 I haven’t seen a supplemental scholarship form specifically for the department or college of science, but I did have the honors college application to submit through the portal. Although, I didn’t apply for need-based aid, so if the form was a continuation of that or specifically for students who did that might explain it.

Ah damn I didn’t see the link until just now. Quite stupid. But yea I have the supplemental scholarship link as well, don’t really know anything about the number of scholarships available within the College of Science tho. Hopefully there aren’t too few. I was happily surprised with the length of the supplement, I was expecting an essay or two. How did you respond to the drugs/alcohol question?

Answered it truthfully

Regarding UCI - interesting trend from: http://www.oir.uci.edu/files/adm/IA19-fall-fr-select-yield-by-major.pdf - Their CS applications dropped from 100 to 40 and Data Science doubled to 281… Their CS admit rates in 2017 are 90% while their Data Science has dropped to 50% - looks like a clear trend towards Data Science and increased competition

Actually the main CS information is on page 10 of the document, with 3,373 applied at a 37% acceptance rate. The one with 40 applicants last year was for CS&E, which has like a 100% acceptance rate and a 90% yield rate, both abnormally high. Data Science has been increasing in applicants since the first year though, hopefully there won’t be a huge explosion this year, I feel like a lot of people are just sort of jumping on the bandwagon after all the recent attention the field has gotten.

That’s true… CSE seems to have dropped down dramatically, and everyone seems to be headed only to CS, with Data Science seeing a big app increase rate as well.

Did any of you receive a PUID under the supplemental scholarship link as others seem to have?