Date Life at Elite Universities and LACS for AA Students?

<p>I think it’s just as common for AA females to say “Chris Brown” is the best looking guy on earth. The majority of the preferences (male and female) are based on popular culture. Honestly, I wouldn’t want to date a girl that feels like she’s settling for a guy that isn’t Chris brown. And girls, there are some guys that see past the ratchet-ness lol but they are hard to find, Even in the gifted classes. There couldn’t be more than a few of guys that I know who wouldn’t be tempted by a girl that looks like beyonce just for her looks lol In college, I’m definitely looking to find a lot more people to look past popular culture and choose guys that really care. I’m not opposed at all to dating outside of race, you never know what god has in store for your life.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Doesn’t everyone settle for someone who isn’t the hottest person possible? Isn’t that more of a problem for men than it is for women at all?</p>

<p>And Chris Brown isn’t considered hot because popular culture has propped him up. Popular culture has propped Chris Brown up because he’s hot.</p>

<p>Ugh. Chris Brown.
No.
He seems like the alpha male type. </p>

<p>@future
Agreed. Heck, I couldn’t even have AA female friends in hs because of that! T_T It’s so hard.</p>

<p>The Census is the source of data documenting the disparity in single status and interracial marriage stats.</p>

<p>That said, date life in college is going to be tainted by dating experiences in HS. That is the biggest threat to your dating experiences in college.</p>

<p>Things weren’t any different when I was in HS 25 years ago. Barely dated in HS, liked a cute girl who was devoted to a thug. Time and wisdom can change things but the rush to young love will leave a lot of scar tissue that will shape all future relationships.</p>

<p>I’m not being negative as much as describing what I witness happening over and over again. It’s up to each person to break his or her own negative relationship cycles. The percentages of blacks at a college is nothing compared to the emotional damage done to black teens, especially ambitious, high achieving ones, by the time one reaches college.</p>

<p>@Trei I was saying that nonblack guys think Beyonce and other black celebrities are attractive, so nonblacks DO find some black females attractive.</p>

<p>Chris brown <3 I mean you cannot deny that he is FINEE lol, he would look good even if he was not a celeb. </p>

<p>Sent from my SGH-T589 using CC</p>

<p>@Buttafly yeah, I definitely see what you’re saying. I don’t be confused if most nonblacks didn’t find women like beyonce and halle berry attractive lol </p>

<p>And I definitely agree, but I think there are tons of other guys out there that look just as good as him, or maybe not quite as good, with other traits that make them just as desirable. I honestly would chose a beautiful girl that is mature and educated over the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen, for no real reason.</p>

<p>@philovist absolutely, everyone does settle as far as looks are concerned. But when we learn to appreciate other things In addition looks, it evens out the scales. At least for me, it does. But you’re right, popular culture bolsters the beautiful!</p>

<p>I **would be confused</p>

<p>Typo :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is somewhat true. Usually, these girls have more self-respect and are not as open to swift “advances” as the ratchets are. Most of us (estimate based upon my circle of friends) don’t want a chick who commands so much respect at this stage of our lives. I recently broke it off with a non-“ratchet”, smart, AA for this very reason.</p>

<p>Damn, that post sounded weak as hell lol.</p>

<p>But that’s guys’ general thought process at this age. Things will certainly be different as I’m closing in on my first degree and seeking a serious life partner.</p>

<p>Just my $.02</p>

<p>Not that Beyonce is white-washed or anything, but I think she has many Eurocentric features that make her more universal. In today’s society, Afrocentric features are considered to be less attractive; Blue Ivy is already getting "poor baby"s because of the way Jay-Z looks. It’s quite sad that people think this way, but it’s rooted in hundreds of years worth of history, so there you go.</p>

<p>@buttafly13, I find it interesting that guys at your school criticize “rachet” types but only stay within that circle of dating. I think some people have commented that I’m “pretty” simply because I don’t fit into that circle and many people are quick to turn their noses up and say “How ghetto!” to people who participate in many aspects of black culture. I constantly have to remind myself that just because some people talk a certain way or dress in black fashion, doesn’t make them less intelligent than I am. And also, some people are brought up in certain households, socioeconomic backgrounds, and income brackets. Upbringing is important, too. And because of some habits to chalk up certain people as “rachet” we come off as better-than-thou or intimidating, whether we feel that way or not. Interesting that it could be my fault that I don’t get approached often. Maybe it’s the way I approach others or come off to others. </p>

<p>@similo I find it interesting that having self-respect and not being open to swift advances are synonymous. I’m not criticizing you or anything and I totally respect your preferences and opinions. I’m just really sex-positive and don’t believe in the concept of “virginity” and so I find it funny when some people (not necessarily you) consider females to be demanding “so much respect,” frigid, or uptight when they attempt to control what they do and don’t participate in.</p>

<p>Also, Chris Brown is literally the worst. Ugh. Unattractive (why do you keep dying your hair blonde, I really don’t get it?), abusive, and out of control.</p>

<p>Lawl.
If Beyonce and Halle Berry were dark skinned.
Need I say more?</p>

<p>Gah. I wish we could all redefine what “black culture” entails.</p>

<p>If I was a chick, I would love to settle for a guy who isn’t Chris Brown; at least I wouldn’t have to worry about getting punched in the face!</p>

<p>And to add on to my earlier post: there is actually a black girl who fits my “ideal” profile. She is an extremely beautiful co-worker of mine who occasionally flirts with me. The only problem is that I’m 17 and she’s 20! She’s a sophomore in college while I’m just a high school senior. Hell, I don’t even think she would be allowed to date me under PA law :’( This is yet another example of why I can’t wait to date in college!</p>

<p>@beyonce I understand what you are saying. I myself am low-income but I think I was raised to carry myself differently and maybe I do come off a little snobby. </p>

<p>@Trei Wow lol. Do you think that a lot of black guys in hs do not want to date girls that they think will be hard to get “stuff” from?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Point me to where I suggested that they were synonymous. They just often go hand-in-hand. </p>

<p>And how do you not believe in virginity? It is – there’s nothing to oppose or deny. Haha</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>“Frigid” is a relative description. Some young women are more easily manipulated than others.</p>

<p>Not trei, I meant similo. </p>

<p>@alexis and beyonce I agree that European features and lighter skin are prized. I myself am told that my nose is not really a black nose, because it is not flat or wide, and am complimented on it. AA guys loove light skinned girls. I feel bad for dark skinned girls because they are constantly told by people and society that their complexion is not pretty.</p>

<p>@similo I was trying not to come off attacking of what you were saying, but I think I failed. I’m sorry. Your statement does suggest (not say) they are complimentary, or rather, go hand-in-hand but we’re all friends here and I wasn’t pointing negatively at you or anything of that nature!
Also, virginity is a social construct created to keep women chaste and appoint value to those who have not yet participated in sex. You don’t lose anything when you have intercourse for the first time. Concepts like that are dumb. Virginity is intangible and doesn’t exist. But I’ll save that and the discussion of slut-shaming for another thread, haha.</p>

<p>@Buttafly13, definitely. Have you seen the contouring technique that’s recently been popularized (it’s probably always been around, but still) by Kim Kardashian? It’s literally insane what some darker complexions do with it.</p>

<p>@Buttafly</p>

<p>Yes</p>

<p>And I guess I’d say that prefer light-to-medium-brown skin, but I’ve found many dark-skinned girls attractive.</p>

<p>All love, beyonce! I do actually agree with your take on virginity btw.</p>

<p>@Buttafly I gotta admit, I do prefer light to medium complexion. It’s probably because I am somewhere in the middle of that range. But I also find several dark-skinned women attractive. That co-worker I mentioned in my comment is dark-skinned, yet she is the most beautiful female at my job and one of the most beautiful that I have ever seen!</p>

<p>@Beyoncebetwice I do have to admit as well that I find some Eurocentric features attractive. Straight, long hair is super attractive to me :smiley: </p>

<p>@Similo Coming from another guy, what you said was perfectly normal. That’s going to be my attitude in a nutshell once I reach college hahaha :)</p>

<p>There is a lot of baggage that is going to be taken to college.</p>

<p>How do you shed all this baggage and be open to a relationship? I think it does affect future relationships if esteem, self concept or bias for against one group or another is molded in the small, isolated realm of high school. For example, some kids get into colleges that promote diversity, then self segregate themselves because everyone has brought their baggage with them (second graders don’t engage the same behavior, it’s a learned response).</p>